<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Some thoughts on Eye Protection

June 12 2017 at 12:30 PM
(Login Knobs)
YC

Good Afternoon,

After over 7 years shooting Field Target I got hit right below my right eye with a lead fragment. It was a fragment from a shot I took at a 12 yard target with a rifle is set to shoot at 11 fpe.

It hit high up on my cheek and stung enough that I was pretty certain it would have damaged my eye had it hit the eyeball.

I put on a pair of safety glasses for the rest of the match & will be wearing them from now on.

I'd always figured the odds of something like that happening were miniscule. Now I look at it like it's not worth the risk.

Knobs

This message has been edited by Knobs on Jun 12, 2017 12:44 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
L.Pirrone
(Login LPIRRONE)
YF

eye protection

June 12 2017, 4:56 PM 

At our club (casa) eye protection is required for everyone including spectators while shooting including sight in is going on. Your example is a perfect illustration as to why that should be. I would be concerned if a law suit was filed against the club and venue if an injury happened and we did not have that policy and enforce it. It would also be tragic if someone was hurt because we did not do everything we can to prevent injury. Having said that, there are times when I have been practicing and have not followed that admonition. I need to clean that up. Thanks for the reminder as to why.

In our case people griped about it but once you stand firm the gripes go away because people know in their hearts that it is the right thing to do (require eye protection).

This message has been edited by LPIRRONE on Jun 12, 2017 4:57 PM

Respond to this message   

Frank in Fairfield
(Login MRodDude)
YF12

Eye Protection

June 12 2017, 6:34 PM 

Fellas,
I will be 72 in August.
I just had cataract surgery in both eyes.
Glasses are needed now just for reading.
The California Driver's license no longer has the requirement.
I am so relieved
A year or so ago I was shooting air pistol silhouette.
Using my 1720T and 7.33 grain pellets, just short of 12fpe.
A spectator sat down next to me to watch the action while I was shooting at the 10 meter chickens.
We have some mighty fancy targets at our range (Diablo/Concord, CA) that have the target mounted in a steel rack used to hold the animals and make them easy to reset without walking down range.

So, I am shooting away and, as long as I hit the targets, the pellet bounced harmlessly away or fell down towards the ground.

The times I missed, the pellets impacted the target cabinet frame, they re-bounded directly back towards the firing line.

Of course they were not very aero-dynamic and in fact had flattened out due to the impact and had some sharp edges.

I heard a few of them fly past me and thank goodness they did not hit me.

The observer was not so lucky as they were bouncing off of his face.

He is a seasoned shooter and routinely wears corrective eyewear anyway but I know he was very pleased with himself for wearing shooting glasses while watching me.

There is no excuse for not wearing shooting glasses and, although I am not a range officer, I will not shoot with anyone as a member of my FT squad who is not wearing glasses of some sort.

I know this is lengthy.
Please excuse my rambling.
Stay safe and free.

This message has been edited by MRodDude on Jun 12, 2017 6:35 PM

Respond to this message   
Danny
(Login wx4p)
YF12

Same thing happened at our match this weekend

June 13 2017, 7:33 AM 

The scorer took a ricochet directly between the eyebrows off a close target, with enough force to leave a red mark. A scary thought...

I have to wear prescription lenses so my decision is already made, but I'd encourage everyone to wear safety glasses!

Respond to this message   

David Enoch
(Login DavidEnoch)
YF

I hope you will make the same post on the main page

June 13 2017, 9:19 AM 

I hope you make the same post on the main page. This is something everyone shooting airguns needs to hear. My prescription glasses have poly-carbonate lens but they are not safety rated. On construction job sites I wear safety glasses over my glasses. Maybe I need to do the same at the range.

David Enoch

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.