<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Bayou Airgun Club hosts a "Worlds-type" FT Match.

June 16 2017 at 3:46 PM

Rick McAllister  (Login rickmcallister)
YF

On Saturday June 10, 2017 a unique field target match was held at the Bayou Airgun Club (BAC.) A couple months in the making and after considerable consultation with Paul Plauche, Ray Apelles, Ken Hughes, Griff Crutti, and Jennifer Wylie, the 2017 “LA Worlds” match finally came together without to many difficulties.

The basis for this match was the 2016 WFTF Worlds match in Portugal and much about all the preparations had been kept a secret up to a couples weeks prior to the match. The idea was to give the shooters an experience that they might have encountered had they attended a “worlds” type match overseas; having never shot an international type of match myself I knew things could get a little messy, hence all the discussion and checks with the group of experts noted above.

Here are some of the particulars about this match before we see how everyone did:

• 40 targets across 20 lanes.
• All targets were a single-paint color…blue, white, yellow or black, and kz’s were either black or yellow.
• All targets were numbered 1 to 40 going from left to right across the range at the target placement.
• Smallest kz was 1.25” and largest was 1.75”
• 4 targets placed at equal to or less than 39 yards.
• 11 targets placed at equal to or greater than 50 yards.
• 25 targets placed between 39 and 49 yards.
• Average target yardage was 46 yards, and average kz was 1.53”
• 50% of the targets were between 35 and 45 yards, and 50% were between 45 and 55 yards.
• 2 targets per lane, 1 shot per target.
• Each lane head had an 8.5x11” paper lane marker showing Lane # and the two target numbers for that lane.
• Targets were shot near to far in each lane.
• There were 2 Standing lanes and 2 Kneeling Lanes….8 shots total.
• Scorecards were an almost exact duplication of those used at the Portugal match, and customized for BAC and Louisiana.
• T-Rating without factors for conditions and discipline shots was 30. With factors added in for discipline shots and wind, the T-rating was 40.
• Match began at approximately 9:15 AM and ended just before 12 PM.
• In getting the match set-up, shooting the match, and then getting it all taken down and packed up, (even with lots of help) I logged over 24,000 steps, about 11 miles over those 2 days, as per my Fitbit.

Sixteen (16) shooters showed up on an almost perfect weather morning to a familiar FT venue but probably not sure they recognized much else, at least initially. After a slightly longer than normal “Shooter’s Meeting” and waiting for one last late arrival, the range line went hot at just after 9am. Skies were clear, the temperature was climbing out of the mid-60’s and there was a developing breeze blowing left to right across the range (which is very typical) and that lasted the entire match. There were slightly more “Cold Line” call-outs during the match than I would have wanted or expected, but thankfully none were for an actual target malfunction; most were related to strings, how the target was mounted to the ground, and to check to see if the target was functioning right because “Gosh darn I know hit the paddle but the target didn’t fall” sort of checks. All the targets performed properly.

Competitor Class breakdown looked like this…3 in PCP Open; 7 in PCP Hunter; 4 in Piston Hunter; 2 in PCP WFTF. As for the match results:

[linked image]

All in all I think this was a successful first attempt at a Euro style FT match. Comments ranged from “Had a blast” to “Wow I was humiliated out there today” the latter not being the intension at all. Really what was intended was to create the experience of what a Worlds match might be like in the event any of us ever gets to shoot on a big stage like that. That said, if we do get to do this again here in Cajun country, I think a re-distribution of targets and some closer distances might be in order…in fact, I have already started working on the next course.

Very special thanks to all those that helped make this match possible and I hope we get to do it again sometime.

Rick McAllister

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

This message has been edited by rickmcallister on Jun 16, 2017 3:48 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

Good job.

June 16 2017, 5:40 PM 

Still not quite WFTF:

• 40 targets across 20 lanes.
A World WFTF course has 50 targets across 25 lanes.

• All targets were a single-paint color…blue, white, yellow or black, and kz’s were either black or yellow.
All targets on a course should be the same color

• All targets were numbered 1 to 40 going from left to right across the range at the target placement.
Target numbers are to be 10cm high (4"), 2.5" looks OK but WFTF specifies 10cm. And numbered 1 to 50.

• Smallest kz was 1.25” and largest was 1.75”
Only legal KZ sizes are 15mm, 25mm, and 40mm.

• 4 targets placed at equal to or less than 39 yards.
Not a WFTF requirement.

• 25 targets placed between 39 and 49 yards.
Not a WFTF requirement.

• Average target yardage was 46 yards, and average kz was 1.53”
Not a WFTF requirement.

• 50% of the targets were between 35 and 45 yards, and 50% were between 45 and 55 yards.
Not a WFTF requirement.

• 2 targets per lane, 1 shot per target.
Yes - complies with WFTF

• Each lane head had an 8.5x11” paper lane marker showing Lane # and the two target numbers for that lane.
Yes - except 8.5x11" paper size is not a requirement of WFTF

• Targets were shot near to far in each lane.
Not a requirement of WFTF.

• There were 2 Standing lanes and 2 Kneeling Lanes….8 shots total.
Yes - 20% maximum number of targets for positionals

• Scorecards were an almost exact duplication of those used at the Portugal match, and customized for BAC and Louisiana.
Yes - nice touch.

• T-Rating without factors for conditions and discipline shots was 30. With factors added in for discipline shots and wind, the T-rating was 40.
Not a requirement of WFTF.

Other stuff:
WFTF only has has one Division. So no separation by Hunter/Open/WFTF.... There are lots of other details too, if you want to match WFTF.

The 2017 Temecula Match was probably the closest thing to a World WFTF match that I have attended. I welcome your efforts. USA is scheduled to host the World WFTF match in 6 years.

This message has been edited by Scotchmo1957 on Jun 16, 2017 5:41 PM

Respond to this message   
Bill Day
(Login dayjd2)
YF12

Great job Rick ..............................

June 17 2017, 6:02 AM 

Interested how the Hunter shooters fit in with their equipment or were they allowed to follow AFFTA rules for their classes but shot a simulated World WFTF course other than position and equipment?

Respond to this message   

Rick McAllister
(Login rickmcallister)
YF

AAFTA Rules for Hunter class....

June 17 2017, 7:55 AM 

Hi Bill. Yes we just followed normal AAFTA protocols for classes. I didn't want to exclude anyone and was really after an introduction to this type of match without become overly anal about creating a foreign country inside the state of Louisiana. This match fell into a normal monthly club match slot and while we didn't send out invitations far and wide and otherwise broadcast what we were doing, it wasn't closed to anyone either...and we did have a first-time shooter show up all big-eyed, excited, and ready to shoot...like we all were once. It was a fun day that I hope we do again...pretty much just like we did it this time.

Thanks Bill.

Rick

Respond to this message   
LD
(Login lhd)
AR&P

Good job

June 17 2017, 4:13 PM 

As I'm sure you know, we had a similar match last month here in Temecula that followed the World Type rules very closely, with ALL shooters in either 12fpe PCP or 12fpe Spring dividion of WFTF class.

2 days, 100 targets, one shot per target.

Lots of fun.

Respond to this message   

Rick McAllister
(Login rickmcallister)
YF

That is awesome LD...

June 19 2017, 7:06 AM 

From what you've said and what I've read, a lot of effort was put into your match. I think I have enough of the right-sized kz targets for 50 shot match, so with moving them to mix things up on the second day we could do a two day 100-shot match. Not sure that we could go all-worlds with 12 ft lb pcp and piston only for a club match but maybe if we opened up things a little and sent out the invites we could get some good numbers. Something to think about as some who shot our match expressed an interest in shooting more matches like this.

Thanks LD and good to hear from you.

Rick

Respond to this message   
Wayne Burns
(Login WayneBurns)
YF12

Rick, LD's adapted rule that basically allowed a 12fpe "Freestyle" encouraged the Hunter

June 19 2017, 11:04 AM 

and Open class shooters to join in. No straps, but a low bucket, Jacket and BiPod makes up for any lack of a Harness. It was really fun and I hope other clubs try it out. 12fpe and any power scope is really fun.

Yep, it was a lot of work, especially for LD, getting his ranch and course ready. He started months before the match. Unless one hosts a match, they really can't know all the work and money that goes into it.

If ya think about it, most of us have enough targets to play like the world plays... IF we shot the same course twice or three times over two or three days. One shot per target is the main diference. Without the follow up shot on the same target... scores drop:-). Addressing twice as many targets becomes an endurance test. 12fpe is a different game where wind reading is the main thing. Getting the balls to hold off the target sometimes takes time and lots of practice to really believe you need to go there to make the shot. Then if one goes back to 20fpe you really mess with your mind:-) I'm shooting both classes this year, because I prepped to shoot Larry's match, and it's really kind of crazy. I'd rather stay on the low bucket at 12fpe, any power scope, with a bipod.... I think that should be the new "old guys class". It's really challenging and you get to see where you hit:-)

Hope you give it a try!

Wayne
Ashland Air Rifle Range

Respond to this message   
Ken Hughes
(Login Kennjr)
YC

Alright Rick!! Way to go...

June 20 2017, 8:38 PM 

It looks like you did a first class job of getting the feel and flavor of a Worlds shoot for the lucky guys at The Bayou Airgun Club. I would have loved to have been able to come enjoy that course, it would have been great lead up to Wales I'm sure.
The signage and target colors are great and add to the feel of the event. It's a ton of extra effort to set up that type of course, not that a US style course isn't work but until you have done it you just can't fully appreciate the scope of it all. If the Worlds comes to the US again it's going to be a huge undertaking for a large group of experienced people to handle, I know we can do it and make it a great event!!
Thanks for being a forward thinker and giving such a great experience to your club members.

Ken Hughes

Respond to this message   
Tyler Patner
(Login Tpatner412)
YC

Great Job Rick!

June 20 2017, 9:16 PM 

Awesome that you put such a match together. Giving me ideas now...

Good work my friend. Can't wait to make it back down to BAC!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.