<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Mt. Cheaha Airgunners Inaugural UKAHFT Match Report

June 27 2017 at 9:27 PM

Paul Oswalt  (Login libertyman777)
YF

Well we did it. Although this isn't our first match trying this format, this is the first match that we have shot in the UKAHFT format as an affiliated club. And I can honestly say that it was a success.

Even though we had to deal with the remnants of Tropical Storm Cindy, the sky at least remained dry. But that could not be said for the ground. Shooting match proved invaluable.

Although the format is different from FT, WFTF or even AAFTA Hunter, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves in spite of the learning curve.

We are planning at least one more match to coincide with the regular FT match before going to a separate match day. When we do change over, the UKAHFT match will be held on the 4th Saturday of the month and the normal FT match will return to the 1st Saturday.

As for Saturday's match, we shot a round of 15 pegs, two shots per peg. (I had 30 available but could not get everything set up due to the weather).

I would rate the difficulty level as Easy/Moderate. I didn't want to make it too hard the first time out and everyone seemed to be appreciative.

The game is a great deal of fun. It requires a completely different skill set than tradition Field Target. Although it is completely separate from FT, it is very easy to set up and run concurrently with FT.

My contact at UKAHFT is Pete Sparkes. Super guy. Really passionate about the sport and has been very helpful, patiently answering all my questions.

One big concern was about over power guns. My main goal here it to introduce a field target sport to those in my community that have airguns but don't currently participate, primarily kids with their dads. So with that in mind, I knew that most every spring gun sold at one of the big box stores was over power as far as the UK legal limit is. I explained this to Pete and what we came up with is simply to class all divisions with an over/under 12 fpe.

So the upper limit is 20 fpe, just like AAFTA. This is the ONLY deviation that I'm making to the rules. It works out well though. We had an AAFTA Hunter shooter use his 20fpe PCP. One of the spring gun guys was over 12 fpe too. . I think this is a good representation of what we can expect from local shooters.

It is actually the scope rules that make the game what it is. That and no sitting shots. So, one sets their scope to a certain power level (most were between 6x and 12x at our match) and a mid range parallax setting, then illumination if needed. Once the first shot is fired, the scope is cannot be touched, period. Range finding is based on a combination of whether the target is clear or blurry and bracketing.

Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to email me. Club affiliation is easy. The already have a world governing body so it's just a matter of sending your information in and setting up according to the rules. Easy peasy.

Here's how the match played out. Hi score today was Rod Bradley.

PCP 12 fpe

Rod Bradley 54/60
Paul Oswalt 52/60

PCP over 12fpe

Mike Loar 31/60

Recoiling 12fpe

Ken Hughes 46/60
Gabe Sallusti 45/ 60
Rob Seiden 45/60 (with a 6 fpe R7)

Recoiling over 12fpe

Rudy Rooks 18/60

I liked it a lot. Can't wait till next month. Maybe I'll get a group picture then lol. Thanks to all who came out.

Paul

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

So, I'm airgun po.......e

This message has been edited by libertyman777 on Jun 27, 2017 9:28 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mike Loar
(Login 77killerkawi)
YF12

Great report Paul

June 28 2017, 1:42 AM 

and I really had a good time shooting in the UK style match. It was a pleasant change of routine shooting by those rules.

I do hope it draws more young shooters and parents out to join in the fun. The pictures were a nice addition also and I can see I need to wear my hat to reduce the glare from my noggin.

Look forward to the next match.

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Man, I bet it was fun. I guess all kept the scope power low near that 12 area if

June 28 2017, 7:34 AM 

You used a FT rig with an adjustable parallax? I would think a higher power would distort at the closer ranges. A fixed power like a 30x44 would be the ticket!?? Or mabey a standard hunting scope with low power.

This needs some serious looking into for me. I think it would be really fun.....

Glad it turned out for you guys Paul...

Can someone post their expirence and methods they used during the match?

Respond to this message   
Mike Loar
(Login 77killerkawi)
YF12

My experience was that this style

June 28 2017, 12:40 PM 

match is a interesting departure from the normal FT shooting methods. The fact that you are not handicapped by using lower priced guns or scopes is a real plus for me and I hope for others that would like to join in the fun but have been discouraged by the perceived high costs to compete in a AAFTA event.
I know I am looking forward to the next match already just need to practice my off hand shooting a lot more.

I used a 177 Benjamin Maximus shooting in the 890 range with 10.34s with a CP 4x16x40 SF scope with the power set at 6x and parallax set at 25 yards which gives a clear sight picture at all ranges but 15 yards and in for me any way. The targets were at 10 to 45 yards so all the targets I shot were mostly clear in the scope so all I had to do is judge the holdover needed for any targets outside the 20 to 35 yards zero range for my setup. The most holdover I had to use was 1 mil dot for 10 to 19 yards and 36 to 45 yards so should be much easier for new shooters to enjoy the experience. I know I was shooting way over the 12fpe range but will setup a gun to be dedicated to this UK style match in the future. I shot mostly from a kneeling position due to being a bit more stable that way except for the forced positions. If a support was allowed on certain lanes then I gladly used it for added stability.

All in all weas a excellent time and feel that it will attract more new shooters to the matches to enjoy the good time.

Mike

Respond to this message   

Paul Oswalt
(Login libertyman777)
YF

Still learning but here's what I've gleaned thus far.

June 28 2017, 10:19 PM 

It closely resembles hunting in this way. When I hunt wild squirrels, unless I happen to be where they feed, then I'm catching them traveling to and from feeding. Range is determined on the fly and shots are quick. Lower power optics are good for this since the FOV is larger. While the shots aren't as quickly taken, they are done in the same manner. Range the target via your MK I eyeball and take the shot. The other way it more resembles hunting is the use of pegs, trees and other terrain features for propping the gun on. Most every hunter that stalks game does this. Once the quarry is spotted, I stalk to the nearest tree, hold the rifle against the trunk and take the shot. I think that is what I like about it the most.

I used 12x with a 25 yard parallax setting. Very blurry at 8 yards but I could tell the difference in clarity between 8, 9, 10, etc. My scope cleared up nicely at 15 yards which was near my near line of sight and pellet path crossing. It remained clear out to 35 yards and began to blur again, which is near where the LOS and pellet crossed paths again.

It seems to me it's all about learning range estimation via these limitations. Bracketing will be of some use. It's very fun. I'm ready to shoot again!!

P
So, I'm airgun po.......e

Respond to this message   

Rod
(Login happyhtr)
YC

RE : Mt. Cheaha Airgunners Inaugural UKAHFT Match Report

June 29 2017, 11:54 PM 

Wow!
Ok first I've got to say that was one fun time. I started out thinking the match would be fun but I had no idea just how much fun it would be! I feel it more closely resembles hunting ( my style). The challenge was not only proper shot execution. One also has to be able to eyeball rangefind, figure out wind dope as needed, figure out where to hold to slip a pellet past the KZ edges, level your reticle, and about a gob more things all at once! Oh I forgot you had to do all this while laying on a bowling ball on some lanes (at least in my case).
You would think this game would be a cinch since in some cases you can use supports. But there are so many other things involved that must be correct before the flight is true. Interesting and challenging to play for sure. I believe this game can be played with just about anything you have to shoot with and as time goes on I plan to try different rifles and see which will be my favorite. I tried the rubberized Panther this go round and it performed flawlesly. My line of thinking was if it started raining, like it was supposed to do that day, the panther would be less for wear based on its design as an "all weather rifle". I shot it below 12 ft lbs but wont hesitate in the future to try it at 17 like we do it over here. If you like a challenge, have a rifle laying around waiting for a date, like getting a little closer to nature and want to learn something new, try out Pauls next showdown. Or try talking your friendly neighborhood match director into diving in! Rod

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.