<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cleaning your shooting jacket

July 5 2017 at 1:54 AM
Ray B.  (Login kidpellet)
YF12

What method do you use to clean your leather shooting jacket? Do you just send it to the cleaners or do you have your own way?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Leo G in CT
(Login gonzav71)
YF12

Creedmoor Sports FAQ page

July 5 2017, 11:39 AM 

"The only way to clean your coat is with a mild detergent (Woolite) and water. Spray the coat down lightly and scrub it inside and out. Rinse it off lightly and allow to air dry. Do not Dry Clean! (Do not) Soak in water! Or try any other method of cleaning! You will only damage the coat and have to buy a new one."

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

Timely post; my new shooting jacket shipped today.

July 5 2017, 1:53 PM 

Thanks for the good information, Leo. Since my new shooting jacket is wool with leather sleeves, the Woolite cleaning/maintenance information makes perfect sense and goes double for me.

Found it on Ebay for $49.99, and don't want to risk such a heavy investment in high-tech shooting gear to improper cleaning and mainrtenance.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by compressive on Jul 6, 2017 12:16 AM

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Ron, don't do what I did with my Creedmore jacket. The first time I washed it was

July 5 2017, 4:42 PM 

after last year's Southern Open. After the sweat fest in Heflin, it needed it.

I pulled my hardback coat's sleeves inside out, which took two men and a boy to do.

Then I used Orpine cleaner gel and brushed it inside with a stiff hard brush. Then I rinsed it off with a hose on the lightest flow. I dried it and put the sleeves back.

I spoke to Creedmore after that and the you woman had a heart attack when I told her. Fortunately, nothing happened to my coat. After $500 I was relieved.

Now I usually put it on the Creedmore coat hanger and put the one sleeve over the AC vent. It flows the air up the sleeve and circulates it through the coat. I do this after every practice or when I get home from a match. Lengthens the time between washing with the woolite..

Respond to this message   
John in Ma
(Login jroh1)

You clean your shooting jacket?

July 5 2017, 10:13 PM 

I hang mine in the garage for a week or two to bake out the funky bacteria and other microbes that make the stank when it gets bad. Mine is a Creedmore heavy leather shooting jacket. The damn thing weighs near what my gun does, maybe more.

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

John, bake it out....? I believe that bacteria thrives in heat unless you can

July 6 2017, 6:42 AM 

get your coat to 180° F

On a good note, you can try putting 20 Little Tree air fresheners in the coat for a refreshing odor! I reccomend pineapple for a tropical feel...... Hahaha!

Respond to this message   
John in Ma
(Login jroh1)

Notice how you don't stink when you don't sweat?

July 6 2017, 7:41 PM 

With nothing to eat they can't live, maybe? Plus it gets well over 120* in the space above the rafters. Burn them little stanky terds right out. I use it for my work boots from time to time as well. I dunno, maybe it's different further south.

Respond to this message   

Leo G in CT
(Login gonzav71)
YF12

Has anyone used Febreeze to remove the odor? -nt

July 6 2017, 3:30 PM 

Respond to this message   
John in Ma
(Login jroh1)

If bacteria make the funk

July 6 2017, 7:59 PM 

perhaps lysol would be more effective?

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

I did the unthinkable

July 6 2017, 7:45 AM 

I put a box of backing soda in a bathtub full of hot water & soaked the coat for several hours. Followed by a soaking in plain water. IT took several days to dry on the back deck in the sun.

It's not advised, but I can wear it without passing out now.

K

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Keith, but the side benefit is you can put it in he refrigerator and keep food fresh!

July 6 2017, 9:34 AM 

Respond to this message   
John in Ma
(Login jroh1)

I've pressure washed my tool vest.

July 6 2017, 7:49 PM 

Granted it's made for the tough environment, and soaks up the sweat in the summer time. Its gets this treatment every September. It's similar to this model.http://www.occidentalleather.com/product.php?sku=2585&type=belt_free

Would I do the same with my shooting jacket, not likely but then again it is very well used and I've noticed my eyes watering from time to time.

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

My shooting jacket...

July 7 2017, 12:09 AM 

We have shirt sleeve weather at our local range most of the time. If it's cold during a match, I'll wear a jacket (a comfortable one). Easy to wash:

100_4807.JPG

100_4806.JPG

What's up with those Creedmore style jackets. They cost money. The are hot. They stink. They are hard to wash. They are stiff and hardly comfortable. They might be worth a couple extra points at most. I'm all for letting people do what they want. And I can understand why someone might use one for extra support on a tough off-hand shot. But why do so many people wear them for everything in "FIELD" target? Is it a style thing?

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

yeah Bruh.......we're making a statement. nt

July 7 2017, 9:49 PM 

K

Respond to this message   
Will Piatt
(Login saddlemountaingunsmith)
YF

Funny, I have used mine for 20 yrs and never noticed an odor?

July 7 2017, 11:48 AM 

LOL

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Ha! That's because you shoot so well you don't sweat the match! Lol

July 7 2017, 2:20 PM 

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

Hey Will, you stink good. nt

July 7 2017, 9:48 PM 

K

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.