<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I am in trouble now ... and I need to be held accountable!

July 5 2017 at 2:57 PM
john  (Login JCarl)
YF12

OK - so I beleive I am in trouble now happy.gif

What started about 12 years ago as an attempt to rid ourselves of tree rats has ofically turned into a problem. I used to shoot FT with my , then 11-14 year old son, now 21 year old son at TVA with the ocasional match up at Roz's place in Polaski, TN.

Here comes the trouble part. Those early events were shot by me and my son using some Crosman 2250 and a modded 22"25" that had the basic mods and a LW .25 barrel. Man did we have a great time. As the years went on we settled into a handfull of TX200(s) with a nice buschy 4200 mil dot. That worked great. Well my son went off to school and I got into trouble when about 2.5 years ago I traded a springer for a Marauder in .25

Then as the hand pumping got old I turned to a 6K PSI nitrogen setup. Got the guage set and a regulator. That is when the real trouble started. No longer shooting matches every month I settled into the mindset that "bigger is better" for my weekend backyard shooting events. I never went above a .25, however, when the RAW HMX in .25 showed up last year I was hooked - nicest PCP to date in my humble little collection.

About a month ago I realized that there is something to be said for the old standby .177 caliber. So now look at this!

[linked image]

Back on Saturday I had the great pleasure of (from the sale of my RAW in .20) to purchase the RAW TM1000 seen at the top of the pic. Mounted my trusty Hawke Airmax 8-32X50 and well let's just say I am in trouble!

What a laser that rifle is. It will get its own write up post with plenty of additional pics. I just had to report something after about 500 rounds down range in the last four days - trouble indeed!!

Here it is as I received it right after the sale in the trunk of my car. Just imaging a park and ride parking lot off the interstate in rural Alabama - two guys trading a rifle from truck to trunk. Now that I type that I guess in rural Alabama that does not seem out of place, regardless, here it was right after the pruchase...

[linked image]

I drove home and after mounting the scope proceeded to grin with delight as I promptly ran through the first tin of pellets. I have four "lanes" in my back yard with , mostly tree mounted, FTs that I recently went through each one and repaired them to stop false hits/falls. That is what happens when you beat up a FT with a .25.

They all drop like a dream now as I set to destroy the course. The middle rifle above came to me tuned and shrouded by Will P. An Evanix Rainstorm II in .177. Then I just got from the yellow the as new Maximus in .177.

So there you have it. My .177 PCP stable.

Now comes the accountability part - I live not too far from Roz's place. Not too far from Minor Hill, TN and not too far from Heflin, AL. I am absolutely spoiled by the bench rested shooting that I am doing - so please hold me accountable. Get me motivated to get out to a match or two.....

So far I have shot the TM1000 up to 100+ rounds on a charge of 190 BAR with no drop in POI. It was set up by Martin as a 12 FPE with AA 8.4 gr 4.52mm lead. I will come with rifle charged and ready to relaern the sport from a PCP perspective. I will just need a little help.

Thank you all!

~GOD BLESS~

john

This message has been edited by JCarl on Jul 5, 2017 3:01 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Well John, you are in the best possible place you could be for help getting back

July 5 2017, 4:33 PM 

into field target. You are surrounded by some of the best shooters in the country!

Ken Hughes, Rob Seidon, Harold Ruston, Roz Sumpter, David Slade, and many others between Atlanta Ga. and Tennessee. You should have plenty of advice to glean from those groups.

Respond to this message   
john
(Login JCarl)
YF12

I remember meeting you with my son at the TVA 120 match a few years back...

July 6 2017, 2:18 PM 

Paul - my son, Ben, and I came up to the TVA120 match a few years back. IIRC my son got paired with you on a squad or I with you. He was shooting my TX200 and I was shooting a woefully underpowered CO2 rifle of all things!

Hope to meet up again with some proper gear......

~GOD BLESS~

john

Respond to this message   
John in Ma
(Login jroh1)
YF12

I remember you guy's now

July 6 2017, 10:45 PM 

I was that spaced out yankee who drove 23 hours solo to be there. Well I hope you get all the help you need down there and make your way to a northern shoot or two in the process.

Respond to this message   
nt
(Login jroh1)
YF12

nt

July 6 2017, 11:16 PM 

This message has been edited by jroh1 on Jul 6, 2017 11:17 PM

Respond to this message   
SteveV
(Login stevevines)
YC

John - I shot with your son, and I beleive Paul shot with you -

July 7 2017, 6:36 AM 

at the TVA. I also shot with you and your son on my first match -

can't find the pictures, and photo-bucket won't let me log in.................heavy sigh.......

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Hi John K, I remember you and your son. He did very well for the first time

July 7 2017, 2:18 PM 

out. He shot a 30 for the match. You really handicapped yourself with no dope sheet and using a Co2 gun in the heat....

Had to give you credit for hitting anything! Your power was lower, your mil holds were off then, but you still championed on like a trooper.

Hope to see you at one of the matches down there. Talk to me or Ken Huges at the Atlanta club about going to the Deep Woods shoot in Greenwood AL. Mark said it looks like it will be his last match. He has health issues and is not doing the matches after this one.

Great time, great food and close lanes make this match like a cookout with friends and some plinking to boot!

Good luck going forward!

Respond to this message   
john
(Login JCarl)
YF12

Thanks for the memories! We had matching t shirts... CO2 .20 cal....

July 7 2017, 2:43 PM 

- I remember that I took a .20 cal "custom" crosman 2250 powered, as you said, off of CO2 carts. I certainly enjoyed myself and I know that my son had a great time. I will reach out to you when I get a better handle on my travel schedule for work and can plan a match or two or...

Like the sounds of the Greenwood match. Sorry to haer about Mark.

I have some pictures somewhere of us at the TVA. We wore matching "TEAM" t-shirts each day. Different color for the pistol match and the rifle match the next day.

My son is actually at basic training for the ARMY as we type this.

I will reach out to you...

Have a great weekend.

~GOD BLESS~

john

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

I remember the shirts. When I saw them i thought, " ok here are the pro shooters"

July 7 2017, 7:34 PM 

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

John I found this pic I took of you when we were hsooting together at

July 9 2017, 8:46 PM 

the Tennessee 120
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
john
(Login JCarl)
YF12

Thanks Paul! Looking forward to getting to a match

July 10 2017, 3:28 PM 

That pic says alot - love it! I appreciate everyone shooting with me and my son and not laughing us away - which has NEVER been my experience. Everyone is always top notch. Thank you.

I found some time this weekend to get in some shooting after handling the car issue. Also maneged some project time. Looking forward to getting to see everyone at the next match I can make it to.

I will show up and come for the education as well as the fun!

So far been magaing around 135+ shots off of a 190 bar fill on nitrogen and still not coming off the reg on the TM 1000. So a quick gas up before a match should be no problem.

I can bring the evanix as a back up as it has a Huma reg installed in it and I can get around 100+ shots from a fill before any noticable shift in POI.

Much to learn. Business travels to OK the next two weeks. Will be back in town July 28th...

~GOD BLESS~

john

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

John, 135 on POI shots? Are you shooting 12 FPE...?

July 10 2017, 9:29 PM 

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Opps John, I just reread your original post and saw it is 12 FPE.

July 10 2017, 9:32 PM 

Respond to this message   
john
(Login JCarl)
YF12

Yes, 12 FPE with AA 8.44 gr 4.52mm - but I have no chrony....

July 12 2017, 11:00 AM 

The seller and orginal owner of the rifle said he had Martin set it up @ 12 FPE with the Air Arms 8.44gr and specifically 4.52mm size. They fit in the barrel like a well tuned machine and the results down range are amazing.

I would like to create a post that has more pics etc... Will get that up on the yellow some day soon.

This past weekend I shot 135 pellets from a 190 BAR charge and , while I did not hook back up to refill, it was still shooting with no POI shift. I absolutley LOVE the rig.

Looking forward to getting some additionsal gear (Bum bag, perhaps a bipod/shooting stick and a rifle carry case/box) and showing up to LEARN. That is key as the rifle out shoots me at the present time. Got to love that!

~GOD BLESS~

john

I would like to get a chrony some day.....

Respond to this message   
Mike Loar
(Login 77killerkawi)
YF12

Paul, when is the match at Greenwood , Alabama

July 8 2017, 6:54 PM 

I shoot with the Mt Cheaha club and that match is real close to home so would like to go as well. I remember you from the southern open and I believe I shot next to you with I believe it was Chris Coreys stepson Alex Vogel in the afternoon match toward the end of the course. Hope to get a chance to see you again if you are planning to come to that shoot. I shot with Larry Cleveland in the morning match.

Mike

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Mike, Mar Wulfkotte puts it on and will announce here on this forum later on He

July 8 2017, 9:26 PM 

usually setd it in the fall like So I expect around September.

Respond to this message   
Mike Loar
(Login 77killerkawi)
YF12

Paul that sounds great and will keep an eye out for it. NT

July 9 2017, 2:08 AM 

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Mine, Ken Huges will know when as he comes to the matches all the time.

July 9 2017, 7:03 AM 

Respond to this message   
Mike Loar
(Login 77killerkawi)
YF12

Paul, Yea i was going to talk to Ken at our next match also. NT

July 9 2017, 4:34 PM 

Respond to this message   
SteveV
(Login stevevines)
YC

Hey John - Roz is having a match this Saturday, 7-8-2017

July 5 2017, 8:11 PM 

Be there or B L7 ha ha

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.