<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Do shooting jackets always help?

July 7 2017 at 8:37 PM
Scott Hull  (Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

The discussion below got me thinking more about shooting jackets. I don't currently use one.

If you are sweating inside the jacket, you are frustrating your bodies ability to cool itself. Excess body temperature will affect your cognitive abilities.

The most important shooting aid is the grey matter between your ears. If not functioning at 100%, your decision making abilities are being impaired and your overall performance might actually suffer more than that shooting jacket is helping.

I would think that it would be better to lose the shooting jacket if it's hot and you are sweating in it. Try shooting an entire match without one. You might find that you do better overall.

Most of my offhand shooting is at silhouette matches and shooting jackets are not allowed. Not that I would want to wear one. Field target has very few offhand shots anyway, so I see very limited benefit and more risk to performance if dependent on one.

Why do you wear a shooting jacket (the Creedmore style) when you are hot/sweaty?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Brad Troyer
(Login bradtroyer)
YC

Yes, they help

July 7 2017, 9:49 PM 

I have seen my score become more consistent since I starting wearing a jacket. I shoot over my arm I consistently dropped 3-5 shots a match from flexing my left arm or right shoulder as the shot is released. The jacket helps to stabilize my upper body and give a bit more stability.

I take my jacket off between lanes to let my body breath. I also drink plenty of water and eat and drink protein snacks during the match. That help offset being hot in the jacket.

Brad Troyer,
brad@airguns.net
www.airguns.net

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

More consistent,...

July 7 2017, 10:52 PM 

but are your best scores any better? I have noticed a similar thing when using a bipod. I'm more consistent when using a bipod. On a bad day, the bipod allows me hold the rifle steady enough to stay in the game. But if I'm having a good day, the bipod becomes an inconvenience on most shots. I tend to avoid the bipod these days, instead, I try to learn what makes for a good vs bad day. For sitting shots, I usually rest the gun directly on my knee, rather than my arm so the jacket may not help there. The shots where I think a jacket might help is standing/kneeling. The standing lane is when a good vs bad day is most exaggerated.

I could maybe envision me using a shooting jacket on a cold or cool day. But not likely if it's hot.

Respond to this message   
Jeff Cloud
(Login Cloud9AG)
YF12

Jacket helps my scores in WFTF by at least 5 shots per match

July 7 2017, 11:26 PM 

I experienced the same things Brad is experiencing. My kneeling and standing percentages went up the most, but my sitting percentage also improved.

If you don't think it will help Scott, then don't wear one.

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

I think it will help...

July 7 2017, 11:43 PM 

a little, at least on the standing and kneeling lanes. If I could hit 100% of the positional shots, it would be worth carrying around a shooting jacket just for those lanes. 100% might be too optimistic. Maybe 75% would be more realistic (I average about 50% sans jacket). On a two day match with 16 positional shots, that could still be enough improvement to warrant using a jacket.

Respond to this message   
Don Armstrong
(Login doninva1)
YF12

I am not a good shooter but the jacket is a big help. I can usually make a 1/2

July 8 2017, 7:37 AM 

match, in the heat, before I shed the coat. I am much steadier with the jacket and my heart beat seems to not effect the shot. I think it helps sitting on a bag in WFTF as well as standing. If I could find a way to wear it in the heat, for a whole match, I feel I could gain at least 5-10 points. JMO, Don

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

Yeah but.......

July 7 2017, 9:53 PM 

...what do you do if you're Catholic?

You endure the agony & offer it up to God.

Besides, you're some kinda actor when you're shooting with the jacket & all the other non hackers are wondering if you're outta you're mind & have no clue how they could individually endure.

It's mind over maggot brother.

K

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

The psychological component?

July 7 2017, 10:54 PM 

When you wear a target shooting jacket, you look like a serious target shooter. You probably feel more like a serious target shooter. It may not matter whether it improves your score, or not.

Respond to this message   
Don Armstrong
(Login doninva1)
YF12

I disagree, I HATE my jacket and could care less what

July 8 2017, 7:44 AM 

I look like. I wear it because it works. Not sure why but it does. If you can, borrow a jacket, shoot 5 FT lanes, take the jacket off, shoot 5 lanes. I think you will understand. I didn't believe the jacket helped till I did the test. I have a 30 target range at home and have tried it over and over. If it's psychological, PLEASE don't tell me, LOL. JMHO, Don

Respond to this message   
Tom Holland
(Login xbowsniper)
YF12

Re: Do shooting jackets always help?

July 8 2017, 12:48 AM 

Scott,

I ALWAYS wear my shooting jacket, no matter how hot it is for me. Bring on thr heat!!! I'll sit in it for the entire match, no matter if its 45 degrees, or 105 degrees. I have a very high tolerance for heat. It's 80 right now in NYC, and I'm freezing!! I shoot better in unbearable heat, than cold.
As far as assistance in our game, I find it helps, particularly in positionals. In kneeling, I can tighten up with the sling so effectively, it's almost steadier than sitting for me. Keep in mind that this is coming from a former 3 position smallbore rifle shooter that spent over 15 hours a week, practicing kneeling alone.
In offhand, it definitely helps reduce the effects of your hearbeat. Shooting glove in positionals is a must as well, I'll very rarely not use one. Should use one ALL the time, but it is a hindrance in ranging.
The next time we meet, you can pick my brain some more, be glad to help.

Tom Holland
Assistant Match Director Eastern Suffolk Competitve Airgunners Association
(ESCAA)
Long Island NY

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

I used to be like you.

July 8 2017, 2:27 PM 

I could perform well in the heat. But the last couple of years, not so much. My physical and probably my cognitive abilities suffer and I definitely slow down a lot.

And if I'm shivering - just as bad. But I can jump around to get warm (2015 AAFTA Nationals). To get cool, the first thing I would do is lose the jacket. So I don't want to be dependent on one. I would like to gain some benefits from a jacket on select lanes, if possible.

Respond to this message   
Don Armstrong
(Login doninva1)
YF12

Scott, I was getting worried about you at the 2015 nationals.

July 8 2017, 2:46 PM 

You were shaking pretty bad but hung in there on Saturday. I would have loved a shooting jacket that day but was shooting hunter. I practice, on my coarse, without a jacket so I can shed the jacket if needed. Don

Respond to this message   
Will Piatt
(Login saddlemountaingunsmith)
YF

I shoot open class and use a harness

July 8 2017, 3:50 AM 

My experience is the jacket is usually worth 1 to 2 points in a 60 shot match. I don't wear it in hot weather unless it is an important match. Sometimes I wear it when it is cold at the start of the match then shed it as the day warms up. My position is slightly different with the jacket so I have to make that adjustment when switching. It does seem to require more concentration to hold as steady without it.

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

Re: I shoot open class and use a harness

July 8 2017, 2:19 PM 

A harness is not needed for my current sitting position and would likely just get in the way. And the harness does not help the standing/kneeling shots. Standing/kneeling is the most obvious area for potential score improvement for me. I've probably only cleaned the standing lane 2 or 3 times. And I've got skunked on it at least as often.

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Keep in mind another reason for the jacket. Age! When I was younger I

July 8 2017, 7:54 AM 

could hold positions with muscles that are not as strong now days. I find that I can hold steadier and have less heart pulse with the jacket. Can I shoot with just the harness alone in open? Yes but the scores drop several shots. Take the harness off and it drops more as my back wears out mid match in WFTF.

Put the jacket on without the harness and shoot WFTF, and my score increases. This is a direct correlation to more support and less pulsing effecting me. Too bad my back gives out still during the match.

True, when very hot I shed the coat between my time in the box. So it is worth it to me to wear the coat. I may look into getting a lighter coat than my Creedmore hard back.

I think support is one benefit but the harness really does that for me. cutting down on the pulse seems to be the most benefit i get from the coat.

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

Re: Keep in mind another reason for the jacket. Age! When I was younger I

July 8 2017, 2:07 PM 

I'm shooting WFTF/PCP on occasion. My 12fpe carbine only weighs about 8 lbs, so muscle strength is not much of an issue. I do plan on adding more weight to the pistol/carbine at some point. I would hope that holding steadier on the standing/kneeling shots would be the main benefit of a shooting jacket. I don't currently use a jacket or harness for my sitting shots, and the only wobble I get is from pulse bobbing. If a jacket would reduce the pulse bobbing, that could be another benefit, but I would not wear one if there was any heat issue with it. At most of my matches, optimum body temperature (no sweating) is achieved by wearing a cotton T-shirt.

Respond to this message   
Wayne Burns
(Login WayneBurns)
YF12

Scott, I chose a lighter one, (and cheaper one:-)), and I don't have a heat problem

July 8 2017, 1:05 PM 

when I wear a light shirt under it. I find just opening the buckles gets enough air in to cool down.

I'm like Paul, as one gets older and or, doesn't have the muscle tone one use to, the harness and or jacket is a way to stay in the game. From the point of view of one like yourself in great muscle tone and flexiblity, it can seem like a waste of time and sweat:-) I got one when LD decided to do his last match by WFTF rules and I couldn't use my harness. But, the jacket didn't replace it completely for back support and I can't shoot a long match comfortably and sucessfully without a jacket anymore. A jacket and a harness is even more steady on sitting shots too.

You've inspired me to work harder at getting more flexible and in tone, but I don't have high hopes for sucess:-)

I think you might consider one of these cheap and lighter ones to drag around with you at big matches for the offhand and kneeling shots... you probalbly WOULD, after a little practice, pick up another 25% in your positional shot points. Since your now coming after the 12fpe WFTF class, you might even tighten up your sitting game... that's a pretty tough class:-)

http://www.champchoice.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=2002B30

I have an extra one you can try when you get up here in a couple weeks.. if you like it, try it for the match.. it will all be in the shade anyway.

Wayne

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

Re: Scott, I chose a lighter one, (and cheaper one:-)), and I don't have a heat problem

July 8 2017, 2:20 PM 

I might take you up on your offer to try your extra jacket. I think our sizes are probably close.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.