<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HFT Tripod

July 10 2017 at 1:07 PM
Bob Duncan  (Login gingerspop)
YF12

I know that the rules do not allow the use of a tripod in HFT. I have seen photos of (assumed to be HFT) competitors using a tripod with 2 legs extended and 1 leg fully retracted. This seems to meet the requirements of the rules.

Does it? Or is this one of those “match director discretion” gray areas?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sean M
(Login smcdaniel8190)
YF12

That works

July 10 2017, 1:22 PM 

I've seen that as well and it doesn't offer any advantage over other bi-pods. Not a match-directory exception imho...

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

Why use a tripod. when...

July 10 2017, 4:21 PM 

you can buy a brand new Bogpod SB-2 bipod with a proper rifle yoke for $29.99...https://www.amazon.com/Bog-Pod-Sportsmans-Shooting-Sticks-All-Terrain/dp/B01F3J3PMC These are very popular and I see nationally ranked shooters use them very well. I've used one since 2012 without fail. There's no need to buy the more expensive bipods which actually are more fiddly to use.

Without being too picky on the point, the rules specifically exclude tripods (by name). So, you MAY be able to use one for local matches... best to remove the third leg entirely, and check with the MD beforehand.

But I would NOT count on being able to use one at an AAFTA Grand Prix weekend or at Nationals. The pictures you see are of local matches... I've never seen a tripod used at a big match in the shooting position.

Besides, you will have to make a yoke assembly to fit on the camera tripod. More time and material expense than it's worth.

[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

Respond to this message   
Bob Duncan
(Login gingerspop)
YF12

I already have a

July 12 2017, 10:45 AM 

Bogpod bipod with a proper rifle yoke and 2 tripods.

The problem I have with the bogpod is that the yoke won't stay level; it's either canted far right or far left. Any suggestions on how to keep it centered?

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

The yoke doesn't need to be perfectly level...

July 12 2017, 12:41 PM 

Adjust the leg length so that the legs are the right height, and the same length.

No rifle will have a perfect fit within the bipod yoke. The rifle should sit within the yoke with some (intentional, even desired) rotation play. Shooting positions vary so much from lane to lane (side-hill slopes, etc) that the yoke will never be (perfectly) level. In a timed match, you will not have enough time to make any bipod sit level. And a tripod will work no better in this regard.

Only the rifle needs to be level. Install a bubble level on the rifle itself. Rotate the rifle within the yoke until the rifle is level.
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

This message has been edited by MB-BOB on Jul 13, 2017 7:22 AM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.