<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Made some handy string winders from scrap material over the weekend...

July 10 2017 at 2:46 PM
john  (Login JCarl)
YF12

Had rain this past weekend – until I can get out to a match I kept busy with projects around the home.

I’d imagine this has been done before, however, in case it has not here is my first go at making a cordless drill powered string winder for the 12 FTs that remain outside. I primarily get to shoot on the weekends and the least favorite part is the winding up on the Gamo string winders.

Never too proud to scrap from a dumpster for salvage I managed to find about 30 feet in total length of coarse thread 3/8” threaded rod. A quick search through my spare nuts and bolts yielded the necessary bolts and washers. For “ends” I used a piece of PVC that allows for movement of the 3/8” rod. I then recycled old pellet tins to hold the cord in-between.

Another salvage find was a 1,000’ paracord reel that a neighbor had that he no longer needed? OK. I’ll take that and use it someday.

I’d imagine that 750 LB paracord is overkill for FT resetting – but the goal was to make from what I had on hand.

Pic 1 – assembled and one end ground off on four sides to make it more drill chuck friendly:

[linked image]

Pic 2 – Mounted the (before pic taken – full reel of the paracord) to some rebar to make winding and determining length needed easier:

[linked image]

Pic 3 – An example of a wound holder. I decided not to make them the same length – instead labeled for each critter – might regret this one day….

[linked image]

Once I got my rhythm of assembly down it was assemble and move onto the next one. I managed to build 11 holders. Came up short on threaded rod. Not too bad for home sourced material. And cleaning up was a snap. Here is a recycled piece of old bank furniture that I drilled and tapped for holding up six of the holders. The other lanes (not shown in this pic) hold the rest. Got this idea from a visit to Roz’s hollow once.

Pic 4 – put them to use on Sunday:

[linked image]

Hope this helps someone else.

~GOD BLESS~

john

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.