<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Jacket versus Harness

July 10 2017 at 5:19 PM

dan_house  (Login dan_house)
YC

One reason, biggest reason really, I still shoot open is the harness.......

Even after 6 or 7 years of shooting FT, I stlll fell like Im timing over backwards a lot without the harness.

Wondeirng if a slightly higher seat cushion and a jacket will help that? The harness is pain, interferes with getting the USFT hardware down to my body, forces you out of a good position when extreme up or down shots .... and useless for standing/kneeling/prone.....

I know some positional adjustments help, but event then I still feel like Im rocking over backwards, unless tilted down hill to start with....

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Dan, what do you have in your bum bag. I switched to buckwheat hulls and

July 10 2017, 9:00 PM 

I love it. You sit and position yourself and there is where you stay. No sliding around like with styro.

Only bad thing is the weight increases.

Also I adjusted the harness until I got myself tight.

It will also help if you are shooting forward more than sideways, unless you support the rifle over your folded arm. Then you need to be sideways.

Respond to this message   

Boomer
(Login Boomer75)
YF

Paul- how many pounds of BW hulls do you need to fill a typical bag?

July 10 2017, 9:43 PM 

I am considering buying some and I can find 5lb and 10lb bags, but I am not sure how much is really needed. I have 2 bags that I need to fill should I make the change.

Shed some light on this for me Brother. I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Boomer
"I am not addicted...I can quit anytime I want...I just don't want to..."

[linked image]http://www.bagaclub.com/

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Brian, rt now I have just a hair over 7 lbs in mine. I like to be a little higher off

July 11 2017, 6:24 AM 

the ground. I don't like being a half inch from hitting the deck. The hulls put me about 4" up off the ground where my butt is. The rest shapes around you like clay, and unless you squiggle/shift into another position, your arsk will not move. Period.

The 7 lbs fades away after toting it for several matches. It not what you want to clip to your belt like styro, but it does not break down or shift.

I found them to be less $ on Amazon.com, but that was 2 years ago. (And they have not broken down yet or needed refilling). However Ebay or other sources may have dropped the price.

See you in a few weeks at the Crosman. If you want to wait, you can try mine. I think you will go that route once you sit in the "comfy chair".....lol

Respond to this message   

Boomer
(Login Boomer75)
YF

Thanks Paul. I will definitely "test ride" yours at Crosman before I buy any.

July 11 2017, 7:50 AM 

Thanks for helping out!

Boomer
"I am not addicted...I can quit anytime I want...I just don't want to..."

[linked image]http://www.bagaclub.com/

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Hey that's what us baby "Boomer's " do...lol

July 11 2017, 8:19 AM 

Respond to this message   

dan_house
(Login dan_house)
YC

In thebag? its some kind of hull

July 11 2017, 11:26 AM 

very dark brown,a lost black and slightly smaller than sunflower hulls......

Ive emptied about half out of the bag, makes it easier to scrunch down into the bag....

I shoot off my left knee (right handed shooter)... hmm shoot more forward.. Ok Ill work on that.....

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Dan, I too shoot off my left knee. Lately I found it steadier to shoot turned

July 11 2017, 1:49 PM 

Slightly more forward. Not facing directly at the target with my feet. If looking down at my position from above, I have my left foot more at
A 2 o'clock position and my rt foot at 3 o'clock. This points my rifle more forward naturally.

I was shooting with my legs spread out. Now I have my knees closer together instead of wide apart. Makes me steadier.

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

By the way Dan, I now put the harness on under my jacket...! No issues with

July 11 2017, 1:55 PM 

Straps or buckles now..... As the advertisement goes " Try it, You'll like it" !

Respond to this message   

dan_house
(Login dan_house)
YC

under the jacket?

July 12 2017, 11:40 AM 

and just not close the coat?

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

I connect the top of the harness, and then the top two bucks of the jacket. I have the

July 12 2017, 6:13 PM 

all position zippers on the side of the coat bottom. I leave them open.

It is comfortable for me. I feel the harness top strap more then the coat.

It nearly eliminated my pulsing. Now instead of pulsing from 7 O'clock up to 2 O'clock Through the KZ. I now have the center dot floating around inside the KZ.

Respond to this message   

dan_house
(Login dan_house)
YC

Thats pretty much how I orient myself to the target also

July 12 2017, 11:37 AM 

then my gun is pointed at 12:00 naturally. But often I need to "fine-tune" that a bit to get a more natural point of aim.

I have found there is a sweet spot for how wide your feet and knees should be

This message has been edited by dan_house on Jul 12, 2017 11:41 AM

Respond to this message   
Chris Corey
(Login NCairgunner)
YF12

Dan, I took a slightly different route than Paul

July 11 2017, 7:56 PM 

I started shooting in Open with a harness in 2015. At the end of the season, I bought a Creedmoor jacket with the intention of wearing the jacket and harness together. I tried it and I didn't like it. It was really cumbersome feeling to me. So I started just wearing the jacket and found I was as steady as I was with the harness. I am also a lot more comfortable wearing the jacket . To me,it's so much easier to adjust for different course conditions. I shot the Puerto Rico GP this year. They had some very steep down hill shots. I don't know how I would have shot them with a harness. I really like the ability to adjust my legs per the shooting conditions.
I agree whole heartedly about the buckwheat hulls. They make a super stable platform. I was using close to 10 lbs in my bum bag. But I have switched back to Styrofoam. I had to empty my bag so I could pack it for the flight to Puerto Rico. I refilled it in Puerto Rico with Styrofoam and have left it that way.

Respond to this message   
Ronnie Easton Match Director in Sacramento
(Login Thumpman1)
YF

i use about 7-8 lbs of buck wheat hulls and about 3 lbs of crushed cork

July 12 2017, 12:01 AM 

and find it very nice but heavy! i was wondering if you like the Styrofoam better than the buck wheat, and what the weight would be filled to the same bag height??. also, what kind of Styrofoam did you use. i assume the small pebbles??

thanks happy.gif
Ronnie E
NCAGC.com
Wheelscroller@gmail.com.

Respond to this message   
Chris Corey
(Login NCairgunner)
YF12

Ronnie, my bag was right at 5.5" with 10 lbs.

July 12 2017, 7:47 AM 

of buckwheat hulls. I really liked the way the buckwheat hulls would conform to my butt. It offered great support. But since I switched back to Styrofoam, I really haven't wanted to switch back for a couple of reasons. I use a RAW bum bag & all the weight of the hulls caused a split in the seam. The bag was very close to being completely full. Secondly I don't miss toting that heavy bag around. So for now, I'm sticking with the Styrofoam pebbles. I bought a big bag of them off of Amazon a few years ago & have quite a bit left.

Respond to this message   

dan_house
(Login dan_house)
YC

Uphill isn't bad

July 12 2017, 11:43 AM 

but some times down is a real pain in a harness......

hmm gotta look at jacket...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.