<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Arizona State Field Target Championship - September 16 & 17, 2017

July 24 2017 at 2:56 PM
Mark Kauffman  (Login Mark_in_AZ)
YF12

The AZ state FT championship is scheduled for Sept 16 and 17 at Mormon Lake, AZ

Match information and registration forms (printable .pdf) are located on the club website;http://www.airgunnersofarizona.org/2017-arizona-state-field-target-championship---aafta-grand-prix.html

Also note that one of our members is putting together a pistol FT side shoot, probably on Friday, to gauge the level of interest for possible insertion into the program for next year (2018). If you plan on coming to the match and want to bring along your FT pistol, please do so.

Registration closes September 1. Please have your registration in before then so that we can have the proper sizes of tee shirts printed.

Best regards,
Mark Kauffman
Secretary, Airgunners of Arizona

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
bill corder
(Login billcorder)
YF12

See you at the shoot

July 25 2017, 4:01 AM 

Mark, I of course will be there, and yes I will set up a side Pistol Field Target match, 40 shots, 10 lanes, 2 shots per target. Targets placed between 10-35 yards. Regular pistol field target rules apply. See page 28 of AAFTA rule hand book, at AAFTA.org. Friday will be the day of the shoot, with the time of the shoot tentatively set for 10am. If interested please let me know, so I can gauge participation numbers. I have an extra pistol set up and ready to go, that someone or a couple people can use for the match. I believe we may be able to come up with more spare, or share guns. It is a lot of fun and very rewarding to hit targets with the pistol as opposed to our usual rifles. The PFT shoot will take place if we have 3 people shooting or 10. Come join us...thanks...BC

Respond to this message   
Ron Jobbes
(Login rj222)
YC

FT PISTOL @ AZ

July 25 2017, 11:41 AM 

Bill,
That is a little early for us California people we don't get up until NOON.
"A woulda got a higher score if I hadn't missed so many"

Ron @ CASA

Respond to this message   
bill corder
(Login billcorder)
YF12

shoot time

July 25 2017, 1:06 PM 

Well, I guess we can push it a little, like Lonnie did for the California guys at our Battle Mtn Shoot. We could do a 12 or 1, and hope it doesn't cloud up or rain in the afternoon?? I am open, its just a fun shoot at this time, with no GP points since its late notice, but I wanted to try it, since at all other GP's I have been to, Pistol was a part of it. If this works, the club will discuss making it part of GP's to come. Thanks Ron, hope to see you there. BC

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

Bill, I know you guys out west fancy being laid-back and all that...

July 25 2017, 1:47 PM 

but how much notice do you need to provide to have a GP Pistol match? 3 months? Five? (LOL)

All you need do is make it so (put it on the program), follow AAFTA rules and guidelines as you have already noted... and recruit 6 shooters or more for the match.

The Southern Open earlier this year added an official pistol match with about as much notice as you have now (8 weeks). Heck, most FT rifle Matches are announced only 8 weeks ahead. And the SO Pistol Match was quite successful, with nearly 20 shooters showing up to participate.

Given the long travel distances involved, most Pistol matches -- if held on a Friday -- are in the afternoon (2:00ish) to allow people half a day to travel that morning. This will help increase participation, too.

So... Go for IT! HTH.

P.S. - Rain in Arizona?

[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

This message has been edited by MB-BOB on Jul 25, 2017 2:22 PM

Respond to this message   
bill corder
(Login billcorder)
YF12

out west

July 25 2017, 1:56 PM 

Hello Bob, thanks for the info. I will run it by my club Pres and Secretary again to see if they would be up to that. And hey, it does rain in Arizona. Sometimes. haha About as much as it rains on me in Las Vegas where Ive worked the last 24 years.

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

hehe...

July 25 2017, 2:05 PM 

I have driven through the painted desert with light snow on the ground. So I know it rains in AZ. But I wouldn't let a .005% chance of precip hold you back.

I'm sure some of the pistol diehards from other locations will volunteer to help set up the match, if labor is a problem.
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

Respond to this message   
Mark Kauffman
(Login Mark_in_AZ)
YF12

Rain?

July 25 2017, 5:05 PM 

Hey Bob,

The state shoot, in the middle of September, is also smack dab in the middle of monsoon season in AZ. We could have anything from sunshine to cloud cover, to drizzle, to a drenching downpour at any time during the match or before and after. That is the way it is in AZ.

Case in point, yesterday morning we had low cloud cover and a downpour for several hours. Within 20 minutes the sky cleared and we had sunshine, lots of it, along with high humidity. Two hours after that, we had heavy clouds again, but no rain.

It is monsoon season, what can I say?

Mark

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

Another suggestion

July 25 2017, 4:06 PM 

As already mentioned, sounds like you've already got an AAFTA-compliant PFT match in mind, but it does need to start in the early to mid-afternoon. Can't imagine why the President or Secretary might object, BUT...

Might it help gain approval if you also involve the Treasurer, and charge an entry fee for the pistol match (as incentive)? Yes, i do realize that violates the tradition of GP shooters enjoying a (bonus) FREE pistol match. So what?

It takes no small amount of club resources to (also) stage a pistol match, so why shouldn't a club reap SOME vestige of reward for those efforts? It's not like a $10-15 PFT match fee is gonna break any of us; even put the SLIGHTEST financial strain on anyone. However, an extra couple-hundred bucks in the club kitty might be incentive enough to see more PFT matches at GP events (and/or maybe even fund a couple PFT awards). In my opinion, it might even lend more legitimacy to pistol field target by imparting VALUE to it.

You may begin piling on now. wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Mark Kauffman
(Login Mark_in_AZ)
YF12

No piling on, Ron.....

July 25 2017, 5:07 PM 

....but see my comments below. Might help explain things a bit.

Mark

Respond to this message   
Ron
(Login rj222)
YC

Pistol Shoot

August 8 2017, 8:17 PM 

Bill,
So Do we have estimate of start time.
We will have to be on the road about 3am

Now is there also going to be a STEEL CHALLENGE for the bb guns on Saturday after I win the Raffle?
"A woulda got a higher score if I hadn't missed so many"

Ron @ CASA

Respond to this message   
Mark Kauffman
(Login Mark_in_AZ)
YF12

A brief dialog on why we do not have PFT

July 25 2017, 4:55 PM 

A few years back when PFT was being talked about throughout AAFTA, one of our members at the time offered to set up a PFT course at the state shoot. I think we had a grand total of 3 or maybe 4 shooters, with little interest otherwise.

A short while after that, as part of the club survey that we do, I got one response stating an interest in PFT. At Airgunners of Arizona, it is the club membership that makes the decisions of what we do and what we don't do, not the officers. The officers are only representatives of the membership. We follow the wishes of the membership.

There were enough comments about not having an AAFTA grand prix this year, that it was also put to a vote of the membership. The majority voted for a Grand Prix so it was put into place, and we barely made it onto the schedule in the allotted time frame mandated by AAFTA. it is also the club's 25th anniversary and we are trying to accommodate that as well. As it turns out, the state shoot and grand prix will be in September, and Club related anniversary celebrations will be in October at our Founders Cup match.

After the club meeting at this past months match, One of our members, Bill, suggested a PFT side shoot. that escalated into an AAFTA compliant shoot. Bill will be running the PFT match, which is now suggested to be later in the afternoon on Friday. It almost needs to be done on Friday afternoon, because now we will have to get to the site earlier on Thursday and use all of Thursday and then Friday morning to set up the 26 lanes for the actual FT match on Saturday and Sunday.

IF there is enough interest, since the last time we tried this, to warrant having a PFT match, we will include that on the 2018 schedule. IF there is little interest, as there was before, it will not be included. That decision will come from the membership.

We pride ourselves in setting up and running challenging matches for every shooters satisfaction. Over the past number of years, we have had one or two (only) dissatisfied individuals, for whatever reason. we use every conceivable terrain feature and obstacle that we can, but still have a clear line of sight from shooter to target. Because of noxious weed mitigation in the national forest, we cannot use the pit this year (and maybe next), so will have to get creative with the rest of the course(s). We have to be careful where we set up and will have to plot out things well in advance.

Also because no one lives "near" the Mormon Lake venue, we all have to travel a number of hours just to get there, AND haul everything with us, and haul everything out when finished. Because it is national forest, our permit only allows us to use the venue when we are permitted; we cannot set up ahead of time or store anything on site. It takes a LOT of time to set up and make sure everything works according to Hoyle. It is a damn rare occasion that we have EVER had a malfunctioning target.

Because it is a state shoot and we get more folks attending, it gives all of the club members an opportunity to relax and enjoy each others company. With a lot of hands, we can get a lot more accomplished and need to do this before our out-of-state guests show up and want to use the sight in ranges. I can assure you that everyone working to help set up is hustling in order to make the shoot worthwhile. That being said, it has nothing to do with whether we like or dislike PFT. We also don't have enough targets to cover two full courses and a PFT course. Bill is providing some of his targets to cover this.

Given enough interest, at some point in time we may have PFT as part of our reperatoire. The club members will decide that.

Hope this helps clarify things.
Mark

Respond to this message   
Bill Day
(Login dayjd2)
YF12

Sounds solid to me Mark ...............

July 25 2017, 6:42 PM 

Nice to see your Freestyle class still thriving. It appears most of them like it and plan to stay there. Will they be able to shoot the National in this class?

Respond to this message   
Mark Kauffman
(Login Mark_in_AZ)
YF12

That would be doubtful....

July 26 2017, 12:29 AM 

....seeing as the nationals will be run by Phoenix Airguns, not Airgunners of Arizona. We are two separate organizations.

We developed our version of freestyle to allow those who wanted to shoot, but could not accommodate the other class, a place to show. They are using whatever they want and are enjoying the daylights out of just being able to shoot. As a matter of fact, everything that they use to shoot the matches is exactly what I use when out hunting; a stool, sticks, and a rangefinder. If I am shooting at it, and it has a pulse, I want to make every effort to get a clean kill.

Mark

Respond to this message   
Bill Day
(Login dayjd2)
YF12

Mark, I have stated the same thing here in the past ........

July 26 2017, 9:04 PM 

A good hunter always tries his best for a clean kill.

Respond to this message   
Mark Kauffman
(Login Mark_in_AZ)
YF12

Amen!......n/t

July 26 2017, 9:14 PM 

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

Mark,

July 25 2017, 7:21 PM 

Your posts make it clear you are an extremely conscientious DOER. Having first-hand experience in staging field target matches (including Nats), I'm well aware that field target depends on selfless individuals like Mark Kauffman that are willing to do the hard, often unrecognized work. Sometimes it becomes difficult to remain motivated; especially when what might have been intended as well-meaning advice doesn't come across that way... and especially when it originates from those benefitting from the selfless hard work of others (than them-self).

Keep up the good work, Bud. I'm not the only one who recognizes your efforts. Wish I was close enough to lend a hand.

BTW, one more suggestion; this time to shooters interested in pistol field target. Be it at the match under discussion or any other, LEND A HAND!

Respond to this message   
Mark Kauffman
(Login Mark_in_AZ)
YF12

Thanks Ron, but it is not just me....

July 26 2017, 12:33 AM 

.....we have an entire group that is always willing to jump in and help, both before the match and afterwards. That is what makes it so much fun to shoot with this group of people.

Our motto for the 25th anniversary; 25 years of field target, friendship, and fun. I haven't been a part of the group for that long, but some have. I can tell you we do have a lot of fun and these guys and gals are some of the best friends that I have ever had. I would not trade them for the world!

Mark

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

Gauging interest.

August 1 2017, 2:10 PM 

If you know that you are having it, you should add the trial PFT match to your registration sheet. If people don't know it's available, it's not really a good gauge of interest.

Respond to this message   
George D.
(Login mgkd)
YF

Re: Thanks for clarifying Mark!

August 1 2017, 10:35 PM 

message moved to end of thread

This message has been edited by mgkd on Aug 2, 2017 9:58 AM

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.