<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hawk Valley Match at Delaware County Field and Stream Photos Too

August 8 2017 at 12:59 PM

Paul Porch  (Login paulporch)
YF12

Chris Cory and I took the trip to Pennsylvania to shoot the Hawk Valley match. Mike Harris put on the match at the Delaware County Field and Stream Sportsman club, in Brookhaven PA. This was a trip back to my old stomping grounds. I used to live in Delaware County for many years. In fact, I was a member of this club back in the 80’s. We planned on meeting Keith “Knobs” there.

I left to meet Chris at his house at 11;00PM Friday night. I went to bed at 4:00 PM intending to wake at 11:00PM. Well, I ended up awake at 7:00PM and could not go back to sleep.

The plan was to go up, shoot the match and then come back. Chis is 2.5 hrs away from there, so for me it is an 8 hr plus trip. Chris drove up and back from his house. (Thank you buddy) I tried to nap and got about 1 hr in on the trip back. The ride back was a nightmare of traffic, and I ended home 29 hours + for me.

I must say it was worth it for us!

Mike set up a difficult course with only 2 gimmies in my opinion. Hot on the difficulty list, was a standing target at 18 yards that had a ¾” kill zone ! Both of us missed it…

The course was entirely in the woods and all downhill. Fairly steep in some cases. He had tree mounts on a lot of the targets, but small kill zones were the norm. There were three targets a lane and the match went fairly quick. We started at 9:15 roughly and ended up leaving the parking lot for home at 1:30! That was after the BS session and after the loooong walk back to the club house… I mean it is a long walk. We were able to drop off the equipment in the morn by driving rt to the sight in range. However, we had to be off there by 9:00 AM as it was the skeet range on that field behind us.

Friend Brian Van Liew warned me it was not an easy course. For him to say that, I knew we were in for some tough shots. The wind downhill and in the woods, was hard to predict, getting most of us throughout the day. Brian took the top spot in open class with a 52/60 and I was on his heels with 51/60 for second place. I failed to set my reg by shooting a shot after filling, costing the tying shot. Then I set my elev knob off by one click at a tiny 3/8’ KZ, and hit a split just low on the KZ edge. Hey that’s the game! The rest of the misses were bad wind doping or none at all…. All me I am proud to say…Ha!

I was paired with tom Ryan and had a good time shooting with him. Tom shot well but was having an issue with his rifle. He sorted it out late in the match and started to drop targets well. Too little to late he said.

Chris had a bad day for him, and I believe it was due to the fact he has been working on his new Steyr 12 FPE rifle and not getting practice with his LG110 at 20 FPE. I have done that and I would hold off too far for wind and miss, with the higher powered setting.….

Poor Mike had a bad day as well, and it was definitely because of the fact of trying to shoot after little sleep, and setting up and running the match. Or did he do it on purpose to let us long distance competitors feel good! Hmmmmn

A special kudos to Wyatt Evans Gartly, Craig Evans nephew, for his score in WFTF. It was his first time shooting WFTF and I believe his first FT match!
Great job Wyatt!

It was great seeing Rick Basset, Craig Evans, Jim Wilcox, Denny Todd, Tom Ryan, Knobs and Fred Mannis again., We all just finished shooting together at the Crosman All American in NY.

It is always great to go shoot another course and meet new folks. Mike sets up a mean course and is not giving anything away there. If I lived back in the area I would definitely be at that course each match! The people from the club and the other local competitors are a fun group of people.

Here are some photos L took of the gang! I only took a few at the start of the match. I tried to get everyone, but when done shooting the course, I scrambled to get photos. I even asked Craig and Al to pose for me….LOL I did not see Dennis, Tina, Larry, or Carl Johnson… I did not think to get some at the BS session….Sorry folks, next time for sure…..

[linked image]
FOREGROUND CHRIS, BRIAN, AND KNOBS
BACKGROUND LEFT TO RIGHT RICK,MIKE,MARLA.CRAIG,WAYTT,FRED TOM AND JIM

[linked image]
MIKE H TAKING A STANDING SHOT

[linked image]
BRIAN VL AND CHRIS C TALLYING UP SCORES

[linked image]
AL O SITTING POSED NICKNAME AFFECTIONATELY "INSPECTOR GADGET"
LOOK AT THE RIFLE TO SEE WHY!

[linked image]
KNOBS AND RICK B AS RICK ASCEND FROM A SITTING SHOT

[linked image]
FRED M SITTING WITH CRAIG E STANDING OVER WAYTT G, HIS NEPHEW

[linked image]
MARLA KEEPING MIKE'S SCORE AND KEEPING MIKE AWAKE

MY PARTNER FOR THE MATCH TOM R GETTING READY TO MOVETO A NEW LANE
[linked image]
TOP SHOOTER BRIAN VL POSED FOR A SITTING SHOT

[linked image]
JIM W PREPARING FOR AN STANDING SHOT

[linked image]
CRAIG E TAKING ADDITIONAL AN STANDING SHOT AFTER THE MATCH

[linked image]
TOM R ABOUT TO SHOOT AT THAT LEFT TARGET WITH THE TINY KZ.

[linked image]
KNOBS AL O (SHOOTING) RICK B STANDING AND CHRIS C SITTING IN CHAIR
THESE SIDE BY SIDE LANES DOUBLED AS THE SIGHT IN RANGE

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Richard Bassett
(Login rich177)
YF

thanks for the report

August 8 2017, 1:36 PM 

Most of the pics were great!

Respond to this message   
Kevin
(Login kevinkunkle)
YC

Re: Hawk Valley Match at Delaware County Field and Stream Photos Too

August 8 2017, 6:40 PM 

Paul

Thanks for the report and pics. You always do a Great report.
Fine shooting!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like everyone had a fun time.

Kevin
The Legend

FBD

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Need to correct something. I had

August 9 2017, 1:12 PM 

Wyatt as Craig's nephew when he is Craig's oldest Grandson. Wyatt has been shooting a while with Craig but they are new to WFTF coming from freestyle. Still a great job in a new class.

Respond to this message   
Raymond Hawkins
(Select Login rhawk1)
YF12

Great Report

August 9 2017, 3:12 PM 

Paul.
Congratulations on shooting a great match. 51 is an incredible score anywhere. Specially on a tuff course and an 8 hour drive with little to no sleep. Brian looks like a great shooter and a score of 52 confirms that. Chris's bad day was still 10 points ahead of my best but he enjoys going back and forth. Great write up and I really enjoyed the pictures. I hope to see ya'll this weekend.

Raymond Hawkins

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.