<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

For kneeling how about the use of this pad between the heel and butt

August 10 2017 at 1:24 PM

Billy Dick  (Login ocedummy)
YF12

Previous posts have said that this can't be used and yet, here is a National Champion using a pad between the heel and butt.
Comments? Maybe eliminate the kneeling position, who uses this hunting any more?
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

Who uses this hunting any more? (Now edited for better perspective)

August 10 2017, 1:39 PM 

Hi BD. FWIW, I had to take the kneeling position season before last to take a buck at 100 yards. Also FWIW, that's the only time I remember kneeling for a hunting shot in over a half-century of hunting. But I probably wouldn't have gotten that buck without kneeling, AND the confidence in doing so built on kneeling for field target.

One last FWIW. Until being required to for field target, I don't recall taking a kneeling shot before then. That said, but considering the successful kneeling shot on aforementioned buck, I now consider kneeling another somewhat-valuable tool in my hunting war-chest.

This message has been edited by compressive on Aug 10, 2017 1:52 PM

Respond to this message   
tv
(Login TerryVanpool)
YC

Re: I sometimes..

August 10 2017, 6:01 PM 

Charter member of Over The Hill Gang

This message has been edited by TerryVanpool on Aug 11, 2017 12:38 AM

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login KTM250XC)
YF12

I use

August 10 2017, 4:08 PM 

a 3/4" thick x 4" x 5" flat foam pad under my knee cap only when kneeling.

Respond to this message   
FireMarshal
(Login FireMarshal)
YC

Re: I use

August 10 2017, 4:33 PM 

Tom,
I never tried that behind the knee. My knee will not flex enough without something between the heel of the shoe and my rear end. Even that does not steady me enough. Just something we have to deal with as we add on a few years. I'm definitely not a threat doing it standing. Come to think of it, I'm not much of a threat either way. Hip replacement a few years ago does not help either. I've asked about this several times in the past year, including on the AAFTF forum and not got an answer.
Pat

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login KTM250XC)
YF12

Pat

August 10 2017, 4:38 PM 

I guess I did not explain very well. I place the foam pad under my right knee, between the knee and the ground. Just to take the sharp edges off anything laying on the ground. Even though I will be 61 very soon and in spite of having some serious knee reconstruction surgery, I can still get up and down fairly well.

This message has been edited by KTM250XC on Aug 10, 2017 10:14 PM

Respond to this message   
FireMarshal
(Login FireMarshal)
YC

Re: Pat

August 10 2017, 7:57 PM 

Tom,

I understand what you meant now. I usually use a thin pad there to keep out of the dirt or mud.

Pat

Respond to this message   
Don Armstrong
(Login doninva1)
YF12

I did that once in a match and was told it was not legal. It got

August 11 2017, 9:42 PM 

kind of ugly so I took zeros on the lane and didn't turn in my score card. The lane had gravel and I used my bum bag to keep from hurting my knee. Still a little pissed about being called out in front of a bunch of people. Don

Respond to this message   
Bill Day
(Login dayjd2)
YF12

Billy, where did you get Charles knee pads? ;>) nt

August 10 2017, 7:01 PM 

Respond to this message   

Billy Dick
(Login ocedummy)
YF12

Minor Hill, belonging to "He who's name shall never be spoken" NT

August 10 2017, 9:35 PM 

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

We need a ruling on this...

August 12 2017, 7:50 AM 

I've always been told this is not legal. But, the kneeling rules do not specifically ban it, and the kneeling rules do not specifically state that the behind must sit on the trailing heel.

"A. KNEELING: There shall be only 3 points of contact with the ground (2 feet and 1 knee). The rifle will be supported by both hands and one shoulder only. The arm supporting the rifle must rest on the knee or leg. The rear foot shall be upright and straight in line with the knee. A legal seat may be used to support the rear foot and/or ankle, provided that the foot and knee have contact with the ground. The leading hand shall support the gun, and be unsupported forward of the wrist joint."

One might submit this as one possible solution for medical exemptions in the kneeling lane. Some knee replacements do not permit more than the 120° required to sit on the heel. Not necessarily advocating this, but at least it permits the shooter to reasonably adopt a standard kneeling position, or the spirit of... (rather than sit upright on a bucket shooting chicken wing off-hand).
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

This message has been edited by MB-BOB on Aug 12, 2017 7:52 AM

Respond to this message   

Billy Dick
(Login ocedummy)
YF12

Says " foot and knee have contact with the ground" so

August 13 2017, 6:26 PM 

Does that mean for a right handed shooter that a pad under the right knee is not allowed, since the knee is not on the ground. Don't think the pants count. And how about a 2" pad on the left thigh, I have seen those, disallowed for the same reason, left elbow not on leg or knee.
Let's just get rid of the stance or allow anyone over the age of 74 1/2 to shoot sitting, stool or bum bag or maybe laying on ones back.

Respond to this message   
FireMarshal
(Login FireMarshal)
YC

Re: We need a ruling on this...

August 18 2017, 4:40 PM 

Bob,

It seems that you may have answered my question. What I asked about just has not been addressed. It seems that a pad might be used either behind the knee or between the heel of the foot and the rear end of the shooter. This is what Charles used for a while. The only question might be what thickness would be allowed. In my case, it would need to be about 2", to get a reasonably steady seat. This might be more than some would need. Depends on the person and their particular problems. Maybe the BOG can address this at the Nats?

Thanks for bringing this up and good luck at the Nats,

Pat

Respond to this message   

Lonnie Smith
(Login AirSmithCA)
YF

most of my hunting shots are kneelers ....

August 23 2017, 3:39 PM 

Especially when I'm stalking an area. More stable than standing and crouching is better cover.
"It doesn't get done til someone does it"

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.