<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Limited equipment in AAFTA

August 10 2017 at 2:36 PM
Scott Hull  (Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

There has been lots of talk about Freestyle lately, but that will require another Division if you want to shoot for AAFTA GP points or shoot at the Nationals.

If you're looking for a new approach that can be fun and challenging, look at shooting "Limited". The good thing about shooting "Limited" is that we don't need a new Division/Class to do it at AAFTA GP or Nationals matches. In fact, if you limit your equipment enough, you can shoot in any AAFTA Division without having to change equipment or shooting style.

"Super-limited" has been something that I have been personally working up to. Ultimately, I want to shoot any AAFTA Division (even pistol) using one setup, That means I use only equipment that is legal in ALL AAFTA Divisions.

For shooting Super-limited rifle that means:

<=6" high seat
<=6" deep forend
<=2" padding
<=12x scope setting
12fpe max
no monopods/bipods/sticks
no jacket
no harness
no risers
no butt hook
no stock adjustments
no clicking

If you want to also conform to the pistol Divisions, then:

<=3" deep forend
<=15" barrel
no >12x scopes
no pads
no buttstock

I have been playing with a convertible pistol/carbine for a couple of years. From here on out, I'm going to keep that gun in pistol configuration and shoot most matches that way, including the rifle matches.

It's not necessarily a good approach if you want to win an AAFTA Division, but it is fun and challenging. Any other takers? I'll be at the the Arizona Nationals shooting in Hunter/Pistol and in Hunter/PCP using the same pistol for both.

Ron Robinson? I'm calling you out:
8133e0e72dbb0f85d062c2a6a9971966.500x281

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Frank in Fairfield
(Login MRodDude)
YF12

I Like It

August 10 2017, 6:32 PM 

Not that I would be much of a threat.
I think this takes FT back to the beginning.

I first shot FT just before 9/11.

Then the sport was just beginning in the USA.

I remember seeing those space guns.
EV2 I think they were.

I had my R1 with Beeman 66R 2-7X scope.

I shot a 9 but I won my class because then they arranged the shooters by strength of scope.

9/11 happened and I became very busy at work (air traffic controller) and FT was not important to me.

After retiring (again) in 2007 I took up the sport of airguns.

I think it was 2013 I when I was invited to try FT again.

I showed up again wth the same R1 and scope configuration.

I shot the very same score of 9 that I shot the first time.

This time though I had the time and money to learn about the sport.

The sport has grown from it infancy with the various classes figured out (just like archery field target) along established equipment restrictions.

I do not know if this is good thing though.

If it brings more shooters out, it is a good thing.

But to return to the basics, springers only, 12X or less, no sticks, no sitting (exceptions for health reasons) less than 12fpe, etc. I think is a very refreshing approach.

Sort of like hunting with a single shot rifle/pistol with only one round of ammunition.

Just my thoughts.

But I like your thoughts, Scott.

Respond to this message   
Bill Day
(Login dayjd2)
YF12

Scott, with your dexterity ...................

August 10 2017, 6:57 PM 

I have no doubt you will do well. Very doubtful you will come close to placing in any of the AFFTA classes but I'm sure you will do well under the enormous challenge. I will be following your efforts. Somedays just getting up and down from a 14" bucket is challenging enough for me. I am working harder on that Hunter mission statement (The physical part) than I have for many years.

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

Re: Scott, with your dexterity ...................

August 10 2017, 8:20 PM 

Far targets are tough (only 725fps).

Offhand and kneelers are tough (no buttstock).

But it's got an accurate barrel. I think I can finish mid-pack in the rifle match. I will certainly be shooting to try and place in the top five.

In the pistol match, I'm going for the win. That's the only way I can beat out Randy Ebersole for the Hunter/Pistol GP Championship. And I know that he loves the competition as much as I do.

As long as I don't tank, I'm going to have fun regardless of placing.

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

I like the return to basics.

August 10 2017, 8:24 PM 

Do more with less. I do like shooting springers. But I decided to put any lofty springer pursuits on hold.

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

My ears are burning...

August 10 2017, 7:19 PM 

Funny you should not only mention the idea of using one gun for everything field target, including rifle and pistol, but also think of me Scott. I'm flattered. Perhaps great minds do think alike! wink.gif

While I was still able to shoot field target locally I started working toward that very goal. Felt a 1720T the proper platform, so bought a used one and drilled out the TP to soup it up (actually too much, to 13.2 FP). Only got to shoot it in one RIFLE match (never in a pistol match), and took third out of 8 Hunters. At that time the trigger was breaking at over two pounds, and it was obvious that cost me a lot of points. Monkeyed the trigger down to about six ounces, but never got to use the 1720T in FT again due to the ban.

From that one experience I learned I'd prefer more weight on the gun for pistol and rifle FT work. For me that means pretty (and heavy) wood forend, grips and (for RFT) a Corcoran stock. Unwilling to invest $600 in a new stock, I recently placed a WTB ad on the yellow classifieds with nary a single response.

Kind of a moot point for me now; since I don't get to shoot FT much these days so have moved into "real gun" competitions. I do admire your "Abby Normal" approaches to field target Bud, not to mention your outstanding shooting skills.

Respect,
RR

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

By the way,

August 10 2017, 7:25 PM 

How did you get ahold of my high-school year-book photo?

This message has been edited by compressive on Aug 10, 2017 7:25 PM

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

Re: My ears are burning...

August 10 2017, 7:59 PM 

"From that one experience I learned I'd prefer more weight on the gun for pistol and rifle FT work. For me that means pretty (and heavy) wood forend, grips and (for RFT) a Corcoran stock."

Same here. When shooting IHMSA, I had to watch my gun's weight. But no weight limit in any AAFTA classes. I already added a mixture of duct seal and lead shot into the pistol grip. I have plans on replacing the wood forend with a steel forend for even more weight at some point. Without a buttstock for support, my pistol offhand is atrocious. And I doubt if that extra weight will help those shots, it might hurt them. Those weight gain plans are on hold until I finish my current design/shop project - a range cart. I got tired of carrying all that gear around. My body does not like it anymore (I turned 60 this year). But don't fret about "all that gear". My first order of business was to cut back on as much gear as possible. My cart will be more like a 6" thick suitcase. Thick enough to house my gun (among other things). And it will do double duty as a seat. Imagine a suitcase with retractable handle wheels that can be used to carry it or wheel it around.

Go to the Nats. Arizona is practically next door to Texas.

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

Matter of fact, I just got a new gun for Nats

August 10 2017, 11:29 PM 

It's a Bug-A-Salt.

Oops... I mean a new gun for Gnats; works great for Flies too.wink.gif

Respond to this message   

Casey in Atascadero
(Login SDplinker)
YF12

Similarities to UKHFT

August 11 2017, 1:17 PM 

Minus touching the rifle to the ground:

<=6" high seat
<=6" deep forend
<=2" padding
<=12x scope setting
12fpe max
no monopods/bipods/sticks
no jacket
no harness
no risers
no butt hook
no stock adjustments
no clicking

No seats in UKHFT though
Same 6" fore-end
Not sure on padding
No scope max but no focusing
also no: monopods/bipods, no harness, no risers, no hook, no clicking
Pretty sure they do allow adjustable stocks - not clear or stated about adjusting during the match

This message has been edited by SDplinker on Aug 11, 2017 1:25 PM

Respond to this message   
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

Setup for FT, not UKHFT.

August 11 2017, 9:56 PM 

I'll be sitting. I'll be focusing.

In HFT, the gun's butt can touch the ground, but the shooter's butt(ocks) must not.

In FT, the shooter's butt(ocks) can touch the ground, but the gun's butt must not.

HFT does not allow sitting and encourages prone.

FT allows sitting and discourages prone.

I'd change a few things for UKHFT. The bubble level would not be allowed. The sidewheel that I have is small, but I'd get rid of that too since it could not be used.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.