<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I need some opinions on where to get a barrel machined for my Steyr...

September 7 2017 at 8:22 AM

Boomer  (Login Boomer75)
YF

I bought a polygon barrel from LW and I want to do some testing with it. They come 23.8 inches long and I want to get it cut down to between 17.5 and 20 inches depending on some other testing I am currently doing for length.

So who would you send your barrel to if you needed to get it cut and have the breech machined into it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Boomer
"I am not addicted...I can quit anytime I want...I just don't want to..."

[linked image]http://www.bagaclub.com/

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Brian, try will Piatt,. Saddle mountain gunsmithing.com

September 7 2017, 11:00 AM 

Respond to this message   

Boomer
(Login Boomer75)
YF

Thanks Paul! I will look into that for sure. Will is a great guy! n/t

September 7 2017, 12:39 PM 

Boomer

Respond to this message   

AngliaUSA
(Login AngliaUSA)
YF12

Try here ...

September 7 2017, 11:28 AM 

I had 50 Whiscombe barrels all made up by Jim Gaska , Marmot Machine works. Tell him I sent you ….

http://marmotmilitia.com/contact-us.html

Respond to this message   

Boomer
(Login Boomer75)
YF

Thank you Sir! I will look into that for sure. Jim has a stellar reputation n/t

September 7 2017, 12:40 PM 

Boomer

Respond to this message   
Danny
(Login wx4p)
YF12

More props for Will Piatt

September 7 2017, 10:25 PM 

Will reworked my factory Steyr barrel shortening it to remove a constriction just inside the breech and re-machining the leade and bolt mating surfaces.

Excellent work and meticulous instruction to get the barrel set back up and optimized in the chassis (I only shipped him the barrel)

A very satisfied customer...
Danny

Respond to this message   

Boomer
(Login Boomer75)
YF

Thanks Danny!

September 8 2017, 8:04 AM 

Will is an awesome man! I have met him and talked to him a bunch of times on the GP trail in the past few years. I am very familiar with taking the barrel on and off so that is no problem once the work is done.

I feel very confident sending a barrel to Will and getting it back and having it work properly as expected.

Will is most likely going to get a call from me once I get the length figured out.

Thanks Broham!

Boomer

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

An idea on barrel length, Brian...

September 8 2017, 9:07 AM 

I've heard comments from Thomas users that the Poly barrels use quite a bit more air, especially in the shorter lengths. I assume this is because the lesser resistance in the Poly does not build the back pressure (as quickly) to close the valve the way a conventionally rifled barrel would. Makes sense to me.

So, if you can't decide which length -- "between 17.5 and 20 inches" -- I would pick longer within that range rather than shorter to preserve velocity and to conserve on air.

You can always cut it shorter later, but you can't add barrel if it's too short.

Just a thought, FWIW...
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

Respond to this message   

Boomer
(Login Boomer75)
YF

Thanks Bob! I agree with you 100%

September 8 2017, 10:00 AM 

I can always have it trimmed down but cannot add more. I would have to buy a new barrel in that case and that is another $125 each time. Greg has 2 barrels for his Thomas(14 15/16" and 18") and he was going to do the same testing to figure out which was more efficient for him as well.

So here is how I am thinking about it. I have a 21.5" barrel on it now and I get 75 ish good shots per fill. If I can get down to 18" barrel to shorten the whole rig up a little bit and retain at least 65ish shots per fill, I would be happy(provided the poly bbl works for my rig). I have not even taken a shot out of my rig with a poly bbl yet so it will all be testing I do to see if I can squeeeeek any additional performance out of my rig.

thanks,
Boomer

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

Boomer

September 8 2017, 2:16 PM 

The Poly barrel on my 2012 Steyr uses less air than the factory barrel.

K

Respond to this message   

Boomer
(Login Boomer75)
YF

and you said you just cut it to the exact length of your stock barrel, correct?

September 8 2017, 7:14 PM 

Thanks,
Boomer

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

yep NT

September 9 2017, 1:27 AM 

K

Respond to this message   

Héctor Medina
(Login HectorMedina)
YF

Boomer, are you shooting Open?

September 8 2017, 9:18 PM 

75 shots at sub-12 seems awful low.

Just wondering.

HM

Respond to this message   

Boomer
(Login Boomer75)
YF

no Sir. WFTF....And now you see why I am testing barrels...

September 8 2017, 11:00 PM 

I feel like I should be getting better air efficiency than I am getting right now. I think the 21.5" barrel is slowing the pellet down causing me to use more air to maintain velocity levels. I am hoping a shorter barrel will allow me to be more efficient with air than the stock barrel is today.

Boomer

Respond to this message   

Héctor Medina
(Login HectorMedina)
YF

I would start elsewhere

September 10 2017, 1:20 PM 

Think about this:

Does your gun still has a "pop" when you shoot it without shroud or mod?

If so, then there is still pressure in the barrel, and pressure means force, which means an acceleration.
It is a physical impossibility, except for a badly abused barrel, to "slow down the pellet".

USUALLY, well balanced Steyrs should yield between 100 and 120 shots per fill at sub-12 ft-lb levels, with common barrels and pellets.

If I can be of any further assistance please contact me through my webpage.

HM

Respond to this message   

Boomer
(Login Boomer75)
YF

Thanks Hector. That does make perfect sense the way you say it.

September 11 2017, 7:57 AM 

I am going to invest in a reg checker and start there to see where things are set up. I am still going to test the poly barrel to see what results are yielded from that change as well. I guess it will be a fun, full winter of playing around with my Steyr for me.

thanks,
Boomer

Respond to this message   

Hector Medina
(Login HectorMedina)
YF

By all means, Boomer, test and test and test even more!

September 11 2017, 11:16 AM 

Having fun is the main idea here.

I've made a few Steyr barrels in the last 13 years. I've seen barrels that perform admirably in one Steyr perform terribly in another. I've tested (at a somewhat considerable cost) a lot of rifling designs and twists, and while some have definite applications for "special needs" the "common" land and groove 1 in 16" twist seems to be pretty tolerant of the many different pellet styles and purposes available.

For the last two years I have been working on a barrel specific for FT at sub-12 ft-lbs and I am barely now starting to get consistent and repeatable results across different platforms. Perhaps in a year or two I will have something that works in every situation.

Through all this work, more and more I see barrels as a whole sub-system that needs to work in harmony with the rest of the other sub-systems.

[linked image]

Barrels can be simple or sophisticated, but even the simplest barrel is quite complicated when you consider how "slender" and "whippy" our barrels are in relation to others in the shooting world, and in proportion of the energies we put through them and into them (not necessarily one and the same).

Top it up with the commonly found batch to batch variation in pellets, and you have a pretty complicated situation.

Unraveling it is what makes it fun, though sometimes frustrating.

Consider, if you haven't already, to include in your tests the following:

Try different pellet lengths for each barrel length
Try different pellet weights
Try different lubes
Try different barrel lengths with and without the intermediate bridge pressure bedding point in the Steyr
Try different orientations of the barrel (indexing)
Try different locations for weights (harmonics tuning)

IMHO, this is the right order for the tests, as you start discarding possibilities that hold little potential from the start and start narrowing down your research universe.

Yes, it can be a long, fruitful and enjoyable winter (each black dot is a little under ½" in OD).

[linked image]

Keep well and shoot straight!

HM

Respond to this message   

Boomer
(Login Boomer75)
YF

Thanks Hector! You give me way too much to think about now. :-)

September 11 2017, 8:18 PM 

Thanks,
Boomer

Respond to this message   

Paul D Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Boomer, what twist did you get? Do you know?

September 8 2017, 10:05 AM 

Respond to this message   

Boomer
(Login Boomer75)
YF

it is as follows:

September 8 2017, 7:14 PM 

6 grooves
.175 Land Diameter
.181 groove diameter
17.7 twist

I hope it works well for me, but either way I am willing to have fun doing the testing.

Thanks,
Boomer

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.