<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Has anyone ever paid an "Oversize" Luggage rate for a Hard Case?

September 27 2017 at 2:04 PM

Bob D.  (Login MB-BOB)
YF

I want to buy a Heavy-duty, rifle hard case (Pelican, SKB, other) for checking aboard commercial aircraft. All the airlines have policies that state luggage over 62" external dimensions (L + W + D = <=62") is to be charged an oversize luggage surcharge. $200 one-way on most airlines. $400 extra for a round-trip is horrendous.

Been shopping for years, and the closest I find to the 62" maximum is still oversized, at 63", the Pelican™ Storm™ iM3100 hard case.http://www.pelican-case.com/im3100.html

ALL the others measure a combined 67" or quite a bit more.

I'm considering this one, the SKB I Series 5041..https://www.natchezss.com/skb-i-series-5041-surplus-rifle-case.html?avad=55963_ff9125fd&avad=55963_ff9142a1&utm_source=AvantLink&utm_medium=41227&utm_campaign=55963-NA

The interior dimensions are 69.5", which means the outside dimensions will be about 74" or more. But the current sale price is hard to ignore.

Regardless, has anyone traveled by air with any hard case over the limit EVER been charged the oversize fee? Domestic and Overseas travel?
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

This message has been edited by MB-BOB on Sep 27, 2017 2:24 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

Here's your no fee case

September 27 2017, 7:17 PM 

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/watertight-protector-hard-cases/large-case/long-gun-case/1700/

This is your airline free case. Anything bigger & you're rolling the bones.

Knobs

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

Not really...

September 27 2017, 7:58 PM 

I've known about this case for years.

I should have specified that the internal length be at least 40".

Outside dimensions: 38.12" x 16.00" x 6.12" = 60.24" That is within the dimension requirements. If only my carbine barreled TM1000 rifle (39") could fit the 35.75" length interior length. Mine is about the shortest TM made. And no, it's not practical to take the rifle apart, as I need the room for the pistol, too.

My CZ200s rifle will fit fine, but I gave up that rifle two years ago. I'm not sure there are many other rifles this short to make thie 1700 Pelican useful.

[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

This message has been edited by MB-BOB on Sep 27, 2017 8:12 PM

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

You're hosed, Bob.

September 27 2017, 9:28 PM 

Your only choice is to upgrade to WFTF or shitcan the pistol.

Knobs

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

Oh no... Say it isn't so.....

September 27 2017, 10:15 PM 

I can't squeeze the TM1000 into that case, even if I remove the butt-pad.

How long are the Steyr LG110s? They don't look any shorter than my carbine TM.
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

This message has been edited by MB-BOB on Sep 27, 2017 10:18 PM

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

Jefe!

September 27 2017, 10:35 PM 

I just bought an old 110. It's short enough to fit my 1700 case without breakdown. 'cept of course if I need one of those reach around shoulder do dads.

K

Respond to this message   
Chris Corey
(Login NCairgunner)
YF12

Bob, I have a Pelican 1750 case

September 27 2017, 7:59 PM 

It measures out to a total of 66 1/2". So far I have flown with it twice & haven't been charged an oversize rate. I agree with Keith if your rifle will fit in the 1700, it's the way to go. It's a lot easier maneuvering with it in the airport. I needed the bigger case to fly with my Steyr & 1720T. I want the 1700 in case I fly & don't want to carry the 1720T.

Respond to this message   
Luis Nevett
(Login lnevett)
YF12

Overzize

September 27 2017, 8:24 PM 

I have the Pelican 1700, and also some of my friends, others have the 1720, and even the 1750.

I bought the 1700 because if the size it is superposed not to be oversize and don't have to paid the fee. Having said that of all the travel that we have done none of the guys flying with the 1720 or 1750, had ever paid and oversize fee.

In some flights over to Europe the charge a firearm fee, but that is regardless of the size of the case.

If I would have to buy another case today, I would go with the 1720.

just my two cents.

Hope it helps, Luis

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

Bob, you should buy the 1720.

September 27 2017, 9:32 PM 

There. The decision has been made.

Now the question is, " Are you man enough for Granny Goose?"

The Legend

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

Well, I'm...

September 27 2017, 10:23 PM 

old enough for this goose... Is that OK?

[linked image]
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

Gag!!!!

September 27 2017, 10:37 PM 

That's perfectly good Bourbon that nobody took the time to age!

K

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

Surely I am not the only one concerned about this...

September 28 2017, 8:27 AM 

I started this thread, because everyone I know say not to worry about the oversize luggage fees... that they (themselves) travel with oversize cases frequently, and have never been assessed the fees.

There's a guy on the Daystate Forums who regularly travels to/from Africa on safaris, and he writes, "The luggage dimensions apply to suitcases. A different standard applies to sporting goods- golf bags, surfboards, gun cases, etc."

If true, then this is reassuring. However, in reading the policies at the airlines, there is no distinction between "Sporting Goods" and regular luggage. The same warning, "oversize luggage fees may apply" appear in both sections
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

Respond to this message   

Chip
(Login Doubletough)
YF

Re: Surely I am not the only one concerned about this...

September 28 2017, 9:11 AM 

I travel regularly with firearms and bows and have never been charged an oversize fee. 63" is damn big.

Respond to this message   
Scott Allen
(Login variant45)
YF12

I've not had an issue on Southwest n/t

September 28 2017, 9:34 AM 

Respond to this message   
Jerry
(Login glr59)
YF

I traveled with my gun in a golf case

September 28 2017, 10:00 AM 

to Oregon from NY and did not incur any fees. Nobody even looked twice. SKB hard travel golf case was quite a bit over the limit and no one said anything about it.

Jerry
"Grasshopper" Student of the game.....

Respond to this message   

HookEm
(Login HookEm)
YF

Once you've declared carrying a gun, seems like the limit on dimensions gets relaxed...

September 28 2017, 1:35 PM 

I've never had an issue with my Pelican 1750.
(Nobody has ever bothered to measure it)

-- EDIT --
I meant Pelican 1750 (corrected above), not the 1700.

This message has been edited by HookEm on Sep 28, 2017 3:46 PM

Respond to this message   
Luis Nevett
(Login lnevett)
YF12

Pellets in the same case?

October 2 2017, 5:56 PM 

Since we are talking about Airline travel and airguns...

How many of you guys, put the pellets on the same case with the rifle?

Regulation talks about NO ammunition in the same case as firearms...

But how about pellets and air rifle?

What is your experience on that?

Thanks, Luis

Respond to this message   

Coldking
(Login coldking)
AR&P

No problem when I traveled recently on American Airlines -although they

October 2 2017, 9:58 PM 

Do consider air rifles to be the same as firearms - wasn't worth arguing over -
I traveled with 4 large pelican cases - on the flight up to New York -was only charged an additional 100.00 -
For the overweight case - my SEB NEO -weighed in at 70 pounds
But the return - they hammered me - 550.00 extra -
The Gal at the kiosk said American airline dropped the ball -charging me only 100.00 dollars on the flight up??
I thought I'd squared everything with a phone call way before travel -
I'd heard that the pellets couldn't be in the same case as the gun- but nobody said a thing
Oh and on my carbon fiber air tank - wasn't enough to be empty - TSA wanted the valve body removed from the tank -
CK

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

I put them in my checked baggage

October 3 2017, 10:22 AM 

and always tell them I'm not carrying any ammunition.

K

Respond to this message   

HookEm
(Login HookEm)
YF

I declare the gun as a "firearm" (path of least resistance)...

October 3 2017, 11:32 AM 

Having done that, a wooden pellet box travels in the gun case, along with a folding Allen wrench set, etc.

Of course, I do not carry "firearm" ammunition in the gun case, so it's all good.

-- EDIT --
I try to not draw attention to the pellets by avoiding metal tins with pictures of pellets.

This message has been edited by HookEm on Oct 3, 2017 11:47 AM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.