Return to Index  

New project - a few Hawker Hurricane models.

May 28 2009 at 4:21 AM
No score for this post
Santiago Hrubisko  (Login diamant01)
from IP address 200.1.118.115

 
Hello

We still waiting the decals to finish the latest 5 Wirraway, the Yak 9M and the Boeing 314 but in the mean time I wanted to share with you our progress on the Hawker Hurricane project.

We have selected 97 Hurricane so far but I believe that the final number will be really close to 100. We have been receiving help from many historian and modelers which is really great. We cannot think about doing this series without their support.

These 8 Hurricane belong to the first batch. My father has converted all the metal wings into the fabric covered" type. We have only one Swords kit and the rest are Airfixs kit.

1) Hurricane Mk I L1551 - Sqn 111 - Northolt, UK - July 1938
2) Hurricane Mk I L1584 - Sqn 111 - Circa - July 1938
3) Hurricane Mk I L1599 - Sqn 56 - Circa - Late 1938
4) Hurricane Mk I L1669 Mk I Trop - Martlesham Heath prior to its depatch to Khartoum - May-39
5) Hurricane Mk I L1750 - A/AAE - 24/05/1939
6) Hurricane Mk I Pabby III - Sqn 73 - Rouvres, France - Early 1940
7) Hurricane Mk I L1800 LR/R - Sqn 56 - North Weald - Mid 1939
8) Hurricane Mk I L2006 Y - Group Pilot Pool - Sutton Bridge - 1939

From this first batch there are two interesting Hurricane:
The L1669 was the first Hurricane to be fitted with a tropical air filter and after evaluation by No. 80 Squadron RAF, flew operationally with No. 274 Squadron RAF in Egypt, with whom it became known as Collies battleship. In this case we don't know if we are going to build her with the Watts two blade propeller or with the De Havilland three blade propeller) We have photos for both options.
The Hurricane L1750 first flew with a Swiss Oerlikon cannon slung beneath each wing on May 24, 1939 piloted by Philip Lucas.

This is a short list of all the modifications which were made by my father in these 8 Mk I Airfixs kits in order to improve them just a little.

The metallic wings and elevator were converted into a fabric covered type.
All the metallic surfaces were sanded and the corresponding panel lines marked.
The canopy was replace and two different types were made (with and without external armored).
The Kidney and RR exhaust were improved and cloned.
The under wheels bay was improved.
The interior was improved
The holes of the machine guns were made as well as the cannons for the L1750
The first type of tropical filter of the L1699
The front shape of the radiator was improved and the rear door was left in open position.
The carburetor intake was Improved. Replace of the navigation light on the rudder.
The three types of propeller and spinner were improved and cloned.
The holes for the engine started handle were made.
The rivets of the metal panels were marked.
In three cases the ventral strake was removed as well as the rudder modified.
The navigation light of the rudder was replaced.
The corresponding venturis were made.
The wheels were cloned and modified in order to appears as deflated.

Here are the pictures:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]


In the following two pictures you will find some papers handling from the shelves. Each group of sheets contain: summary of the aircraft (general details like: place, date, Sqn, pilot, etc), a summary of the color camouflage (upper side, under side, special details, etc) and a summary of the markings (roundels, code letters, serial, nose art, etc) plus all the pictures and profile we found plus the comments that we receive from modellers / historians regarding the aircraft. This is the way we find to reduce the numbers of mistakes when we make many models at the same time. The good thing is since we are two we check everything twice

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

My father has made the 20 mm cannons on the L1750.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

And the last one. My father painted the Dark green coat yesterday.

[linked image]

The following ssteps will be the White coat, Black coat and Aluminium coat.

Hope you like this models and project.

Cheers
Santiago



    
This message has been edited by diamant01 from IP address 200.1.118.115 on May 28, 2009 4:22 AM


 
Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement