New Document New Document
Phil's Place : I'm Not Convinced!
Before You Post.. Read The Notice Below!

You Can Search Phil's Place For Topics!
Reply To The Ones That Interest You, They Will
Be Brought to the Top! If You Haven't Read It,
It's New To You!
Put Quote Marks Around Your Search Terms To Find A Specific Phrase
Uncheck To Search All of Google!

Return to Forum  

Just What Do You Mean...Free From The Law?

January 21 2006 at 7:24 AM

(Login PhilBarnes)
Forum Owner

Free from the Law?

What can that terminology really mean? I've seen different ways of explaining it...

Here is one:

Sandy>>"Yes, we who are "in Christ" and also have Christ within us are set free from the law.

But first you have to understand what being under the law means to begin with. Those that are under the law have to obey something in order not to break that law, right? But we who are in Christ have already obeyed all that is necessary to be set free from the law.

Because when you are abiding in christ, and He abides in you, taking over in your life, your no longer doing the works of righteousness anymore, but Christ in you doing it from then on, this sets you free from the law.
"

That is a pretty appealing description. It seems to say that once a person is "in Christ", they don't have to obey anything any longer. ??

Now, if I'm misunderstanding that, I hope someone will speak up.

But, again, it is an appealing description. After all, who wants to have to follow a bunch of rules? Not many, it seems.

I like this explanation. It is short and to the point! It relates the main points that make this such an appealing doctrine. It preaches 'freedom'.
I think it's our nature to want to be free. To want to have full control over who and when and how we worship. The more freedom the better, right?

But, there are a few things about this explanation that puzzle me.

On the one hand, it is said that the Christian who is 'in Christ', is SET FREE... but on the other hand, it is said that "...when you are abiding in christ, and He abides in you, taking over in your life..."

This is unclear.. .Who is living your life? You, or Christ???

How can a person be truly 'free' if someone else has 'taken over'?

And, another thing...

There are so many 'laws' mentioned in the Old Testament, that it is very easy to get confused as to 'which law' is being spoken of...

"But we who are in Christ have already obeyed all that is necessary to be set free from the law." and, "...we who are "in Christ" and also have Christ within us are set free from the law "

Soooo... if you are free from the law, then, you don't have to keep it?

And, if you don't keep it, then, there's no problem?

Which Law are you free from??
The one that says "thou shalt not commit adultery"?

I think there is something here that doesn't get discussed much. The relationship of the law to sin.

If one ignores the law
, and "does" contrary to it, has that person "sinned"?

I think most feel that the "law" was a "School master" and, now that Christ has died, school is out.

You do know that the bible speaks of sin, and our "lawyer".. right?

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: -1 John 2:1

If we have already obeyed everything we need to, why would we still need an advocate??

That word "advocate" is a "legal representative". In ordinary terms, a lawyer. If we are children of God, then, Jesus is our advocate. We NEED an advocate, or lawyer, to stand before the Father for us, if we sin.
We need Him to plead our case and to represent us.
Do we just ignore the law? Do we just 'relax' and trust Him to live our lives for us? Do we give up any concern about the things we do, or the thoughts we think? Do we no longer have any RESPONSIBILITY to be good, to strive to be righteous?

I don't know... maybe people who are convinced of these things just don't care..
I guess you can tell that I'm...
Not Convinced.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on ChristianityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
New Document
Site Meter

e-Sword Home