SpringGunning

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

SG 25/95

August 13 2011 at 10:07 AM

Paul Watts  (Premier Login SpringGunner)
Owner

This is a prototype rifle I've been working off and on again for some time. I've always had a fondness for the old black powder single shots like the high walls, rolling blocks and Ballards and have always wanted to do a air rifle with a long range aperture and globe front sight. The front sight is a Lyman 20MJT and I have a set of shaver inserts for it but haven't got to try them out yet. The rifle has been laying in pieces on the bench for the better part of a year and I needed the space so I got up last night and finished it up. The shroud was milled flat on the sides to match the breech thickness and dovetailed for the Lyman front sight. Most long range sights have a small tunnel so I opted for the large 20MJT for a wider field of view. I had to make the rear aperture since nothing is commercially available that was anything like I wanted. I needed something that could go low enough for a rifle with no barrel angle but would still allow me enough adjustment for really long range shots. I also wanted it to be able to fold flat for transport so I made the back of it able to fold down 90 degrees and lock in place with a spring loaded detent. The toggle is case hardened and the detent is tool steel. It is secured with a hard bronze quick release thumb screw that is machined to fit in the holes in the receiver with a nylon patch on the bottom to lock the whole sight in place without marking up the rifle. I have two more sights in process that have finger click adjustments for shorter range target work but they'll probably wind up on 22cal rifles. This rifle is 25cal. I thought 25cal would be more fitting for the long range sight setup happy.gif Like the old 45/70 black powder guns. The rifle shoots right at 600fps with 20grn ammo. It makes a lot of noise when it hits my steel plate at fifty happy.gif I have a grade four Tyro stock I was going to put on it but I don't know when I'll finish it up. I like the way the standard stock works with the sights though.

Many Thanks,

Paul

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kevin
(Login msong)
SpringGunning Customers

WOW!!!

August 13 2011, 11:33 AM 

Looks fantastic! Love the shroud and the sights happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
(Premier Login SpringGunner)
Owner

Re: WOW!!!

August 14 2011, 8:48 AM 

Thanks happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Mike Rearick
(Login verminstalker)
SpringGunning Customers

Era Piece

August 13 2011, 3:08 PM 

That is so nicely done Paul.  Love the shroud and sights.

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
Owner

Re: Era Piece

August 14 2011, 8:49 AM 

Appreciate it!

Respond to this message   
Ron S
(Login rws6610)
SpringGunning Customers

That looks amazing!

August 15 2011, 9:52 PM 

Beautiful work Paul! any chance of you setting a customers gun in that manner, namely one of mine... LOL

I'd feel like Quigley every I broke it out, probably have to invest in some buffalo silhouettes!

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
Owner

Re: That looks amazing!

August 19 2011, 9:43 AM 

Right now I'm only doing this kind of work on rifles I sell. That way I can work on them as time allows. It just takes to long to complete to be doing these kind of jobs to customers rifles. I also limit these kinds of one off builds to keep resale value high for my customers that buy my custom rifles.

Many Thanks,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Ron S
(Login rws6610)
SpringGunning Customers

Hmmmm...

August 20 2011, 10:33 PM 

I think I may see one of your one off builds in my immediate future!

Respond to this message   
kevin lentz
(Login klentz)
SpringGunning Customers

Stunning concept and execution.

August 16 2011, 6:16 PM 

Paul,

We definately share a kinship since I have long admired the single shots that were used by many marksmen over 100 years ago.  Back in that era shooting clubs were private and membership was more exclusive than private golf clubs today (and almost as prevalent!!).

The .38-55 was the darling of the day and shot groups that are still hard to believe today even with our technology.   If there weren't hundreds of witnesses I probably wouldn't believe the size of those groups.

I've always admired your work but your status in my book has been elevated many more notches since you obviously have a vivid understanding of our single shot roots.  The .25/95 is brilliant.

I imagine shooting this terrific gun with an old world palm rest and swiss butthook installed and I would be transported back in time to when being able to shoot accurately was an expectation of every man. 

Thanks for singlehandedly trying to revive our important roots.

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
Owner

Re: Stunning concept and execution.

August 19 2011, 9:47 AM 

From some of our previous conversations I knew you'd appreciate it. Thanks for the kind words. If I ever get caught up on my backlog of custom work I hope to be able to get some more stuff out of the pipeline wink.gif I keep waiting for the basic tune work to dry up so I can get back on some of the more detailed stuff.

Many Thanks,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Mark Drysdale
(Login drysdalem)

wishing

August 16 2011, 8:02 PM 

Paul is there any chance this beautiful rifle will be for sale?

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
Owner

Re: wishing

August 19 2011, 9:50 AM 

Yes, I'll probably sell it. After a custom stock is fitted I'll have to go back and do the final contouring on the trigger blade fit. Don't really know if I want to sell it like it is or finish it up with a higher grade stock. The stock would ad another grand to the price.

Many Thanks,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Heywood
(Login HW3)

I LIKE IT !!!

August 17 2011, 11:17 PM 

Very practical understated rifle. Function over form ! =^D Looks like a fine Quigley springer. 600 fps. in quarter bore sounds absolutely perfect for lobbing them home ! ;^) Excellent Concept, second that.

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
Owner

Re: I LIKE IT !!!

August 19 2011, 9:51 AM 

As always, thanks for the kind words.

Many Thanks,

Paul

Respond to this message   

NCscott
(Login WVscott)
SpringGunning Customers

Awesome gun and ...

August 21 2011, 6:35 AM 

awesome rear sight! I'd love to have one of those on one of my guns. Very, very cool sight!
regards, Scott

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
Owner

Re: Awesome gun and ...

September 20 2011, 6:13 PM 

I though about making some basic quick release peep sights and may do a few extra but it will most likely be way down the road.

Paul

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login HeyChessieFetchItUp)
SpringGunning Customers

I love it, Paul!

September 18 2011, 6:42 PM 

I think a custom stock would push it over the top... and that's a good thing!

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
Owner

Re: I love it, Paul!

September 20 2011, 6:14 PM 

Yes, it really needs one. I just don't know when I'll have time to do it.

Paul

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login HeyChessieFetchItUp)
SpringGunning Customers

Hey Paul, did you see...

November 12 2011, 8:43 AM 

... the 50s stock that cvarcher had modded? (see "nothing wrong with the beech factory stock and some woodwork" over at JM's). It might be an interesting thing to do with the original stock to give it a "one of a kind" look without putting a ton of time/resources into it.

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
Owner

Re: Hey Paul, did you see...

November 14 2011, 1:20 PM 

I'm still tuning rifles right now wink.gif Maybe when I'm caught up I can get back on the custom stuff. I have a couple of stocks already done that I could put on it but I wanted to do a one off. It's a long term project anyway and this one was more of a prototype.

Paul

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

R9