SpringGunning

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Shrouds & Muxzzle Breaks Questions

December 13 2014 at 8:36 PM
gapi  (Login gapi)

I'm going to give away my experience level here........ And spill it all out in hopes for any of you guys comments or words of wisdom, I need all I can get.

Can I get an explanation of the felt. seen, or heard effects of your shrouds and breaks? In particularly Paul's.

As for my spring gunning experience level;
I am not a paper addict. I am a distance target addict. I check for accuracy on paper. The only time I take a critter life is when they are eating holes in my house.
I fabricated and placed several steel spinners placed at various distances and heights around my wooded lot to keep me in shape. They are not obvious enough to hurt curb appeal.
I have been looking at clubs and events in my area and have the fever. I also have access to 4000 acres to roam.

I had a Gamo 220 Hunter for years finally stolen. Back then I though it was really something.
I shot a B26 before and after a full tune and experienced felt contrast.
I was given the opportunity to shoot a stock R9 and that's where I got the real fever.

I really made a real spectacle of myself trying to hold and shoot the R9 off bags like my 30.06 and .300WM. Heh! I am getting the hang of how to hold now. My buddy was rolling in the isles at my dismay and facial expressions.

I am really trying to stalk up on a Paul Watts R9. I most likely cannot afford a super custom eye candy show piece. Its what's under the hood that most concerns me - Hint Hint.

I never shot a .22 pellet and being I like the fringe distances I may want to stick with .177?

Here is what I Tune My Truck http://alcphoto.net/radix/truck.html

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Anonymous
(Premier Login SpringGunner)
Owner

Re: Shrouds &amp; Muxzzle Breaks Questions

December 16 2014, 8:51 AM 

I was hoping someone else would comment on the difference the shrouds make. Mostly I make them for looks and it provides a surface that won't rust or easily scratch. I've had people tell me that they noticed it was quieter with the shroud work but I had others tell me they couldn't discern a difference. It's subjective and everyone's hearing is different so I've never marketed it as such.

Many Thanks,

Paul

Respond to this message   

Blair Clark
(Login Blair63)
SpringGunning Customers

My PW HW95

December 16 2014, 6:18 PM 

I bought my HW95(R9)Super Bull from Paul a couple of years ago. It's chambered in .25cal which is really wonderful to shoot. Definately not a distance gun but a tack driver for sure. I think he said it shoots a 20gr.pellet around 570fps. I feel his shroud makes the report quieter. Paul tuned my .20 cal. R9 and it has no shroud. It's louder. I use the .20 cal. for distance. Welcome aboard! -Blair

Respond to this message   
A Campbell
(Login gapi)

Some More While I Wait - Amusment

December 18 2014, 12:21 AM 

Thank You, My Question is answered

In looking at your gallery I really get excited at the Target Hunter R9. I try to imaging one with no shroud or brake within reach of my budget. I have no idea what that would be as it being crafted from one of your in house actions.

A nice finished factory shaped stock with the ADV tune under the hood its like my truck, a sleeper. The 16oz trigger is me all the way. I have a very disciplined trigger finger that craves baby's breath let offs. I have a Ruger RedHawk 8" bbl in .41 magnum that I call the trigger baby's Breath. It has served as Doe Day Deer gun when I hunted deer with a gun. I have changed that to with a camera. She is a safe queen now.

The biggie would be choosing a caliber given there is the option to make a choice.

Respond to this message   

Blair Clark
(Login Blair63)
SpringGunning Customers

Re: Some More While I Wait - Amusment

December 18 2014, 6:34 PM 

Ah, I had a Redhawk for years. .44mag 7.5"barrel. It was the blued version. Lot of fun! I currently have a Dan Wesson 15-2 .357 with an 8" vented heavy barrel. Really sweet gun. If you're a distance shooter than the smaller calibers shoot a little flatter. I rarely shoot past 50 yards so the bigger pellets are more fun for me.

Respond to this message   
A Campbell
(Login gapi)

December 18 2014, 9:54 PM 

Thanks,

If I have a choice it would most likely be in .177. The one he has in the gallery is a .177.

I hand loaded for the .41MAG with Jacketed Semi Wad Cutters. It was magic. I should have purchased a 5-gallon bucket of them, as I cannot find them any more. The seat depth worked out to be with the jacket just visible at the case rim.

Respond to this message   

Blair
(Login Blair63)
SpringGunning Customers

December 19 2014, 11:23 PM 

I used to reload all of the popular magnum calibers back in the 70s. The .41 was a particular favorite of mine. Wonderful combination of knock-down power without blistering your hand. You could shoot it all day long. But the load I remember was my .44mag, The Hornady 210gr. jacketed hollow point. I liked the Winchester 296 magnum powder. Do they still make it? It's been so long since I've reloaded these old classics. -Blair

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
(Premier Login SpringGunner)
Owner

December 19 2014, 3:18 PM 

I'll keep that in mind. The next few being done are 22cal and shrouded though. All but one will be custom stocked. I usually set triggers to about a pound and a half. It's easy enough to set the pull weight to your liking when they are done though.

Paul

Respond to this message   
A Campbell
(Login gapi)

December 19 2014, 9:41 PM 

Thanks, I'll be watching out.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

R9