SpringGunning

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hope you're making progress

May 2 2015 at 7:37 PM
Jack Sowell  (Login regsmeeton)
SpringGunning Customers

I didn't make it to Arkansas this year. i hope you were able to go. I always like to see my friends there, and occasionally I find something I can't live without.
Have you been able to make a dent in the backlog? Any light visible at the end of the tunnel?
If you hear more on Jim Maccari's recovery please let us all know. I expect it will be acwhile before he's inclined to do anything airgun-wise, but he has certainly earned a rest. Shame it had to happen this way.
I hope you will try to make it to Hickory this year. Most of the usual suspects will be there again this year. We'd sure like to see you.
Well, I'll leave you alone for a while now,
Jack
Why can't I be different and unusual.....like everybody else?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Paul Watts
(Premier Login SpringGunner)
Owner

Re: Hope you're making progress

May 30 2015, 7:32 PM 

I'm planning on being at Hickory this year. It's still a ways off so I'm able to be optimistic at this point wink.gif

I'm still plugging away at the backlog. To be honest it's like rolling a boulder uphill. A lot of what was sent in and has been here the longest was stuff sent in that was in disrepair or needed major work like rebluing or rifles sent with custom stocks that were bought that wouldn't bolt to the action. All of it shouldn't have been taken in but I'm late at saying no. By the time I'm finally through all of it I'll most likely pull the plug on doing any more. I try and alternate stuff that is just being tuned with some of the more complicated stuff but even most of the tune work is time consuming. I sure wish I could get away with kit installs happy.gif

It's not uncommon for people to say, "It must be nice doing something you love" when they call. Well, piles of broken and miss-treated rifles that people want "restored" for less than minimum wage isn't where I find my happy place wink.gif It's my own fault for where I'm at and don't blame the people that sent them in. It's not that at all. It was me not being able to say no even when it was piling up. I'm just glad I'm able to shut down and do it.

Back in Nov. I started on a batch of shrouds and muzzle brakes. Sent them off in Jan. but the people doing the anodizing ruined them. I still have all eighty four pieces still in the boxes they sent them back in, unsellable. I'm about to start on another batch before the month is out.

Jim is recovering from a triple bypass. I talk to him every now and then. He has family helping him ship some orders but they can't run any equipment and produce kits or new inventory so he's limited in what he can get out to what he has on hand. It's been long enough that I think he's going to be OK though. Still praying for him daily.

I've been hit or miss on returning calls. Sorry for that sad.gif I can talk or work and when I return everyone's calls I spend about four or five hours a day talking and the remaining time left isn't enough to get anything done. I tried having a friend call people back for me about a month ago and it went over like a lead brick. My friend says he won't do it again wink.gif

Thanks for asking and the concern. I'm doing fine health wise and plugging away at it. Hope everyone else is doing well.

God bless!

Paul

Respond to this message   
Jack Sowell
(Login regsmeeton)
SpringGunning Customers

I think we'll start calling you....

June 3 2015, 6:13 PM 

Sisyphus (sp?) Keep pushing that boulder uphill! I do hope you are able to take the occasional break and do something just for grins. O'course, it sometimes makes getting back on task harder. I will expect to see you at Hickory (should I reserve a table for you?) I promise not to call and interrupt your progress, but I may post here for the news.
Thanks for the update on Jim Maccari. I hope he's not pushing himself too hard. No one wants him to have a relapse.
All the best,
Jack
Why can't I be different and unusual.....like everybody else?

Respond to this message   
Victor
(Login pneuby)
SpringGunning Customers

Regarding this statement you wrote....

June 13 2015, 7:20 AM 

"By the time I'm finally through all of it I'll most likely pull the plug on doing any more" , does that mean you may retire from the biz altogether? Or was that just in reference to stock work (I hope).

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
Owner

Re: Regarding this statement you wrote....

July 9 2015, 10:49 PM 

I won't be taking in customers rifles for tunes or custom work anymore. 90% of the stuff being sent in is someone else's botched work or rifles that have issues. The only way for me to make sure everyone involved is happy is to just sell my own rifles. I still have a lot of stock blanks and new rifles on hand I just don't have time to get to them yet. I've got everything in place to hit the ground running but I'm not going to start up on any of it until I've closed the book on my old business.

Paul

Respond to this message   

Tom
(Login pirellip)

I like that business model Paul!

July 27 2015, 12:45 PM 

I think that's a VERY smart idea Paul - just build up your own guns, starting from rifles that you own, and sell them as you finish them.

This will avoid all the crazy demands/expectations that have occurred in the past: when you have a rifle to sell, just post it for sale. It should sell immediately, and you've avoided all the hassle that's involved with clients expecting things.

Perhaps you'll create a way for potential clients to 'put a request in' (a request is different than an order!) for a specific rifle with specific features. IF (not when) you make this rifle, you can contact them with a LIMITED TIMEFRAME 'first right of refusal' and if they pass on it, I'm sure it'll sell quickly once offered to everyone.

The whole concept is for you to get back to the HOBBY that you ENJOY - which is creating finely tuned, quality spring guns. This isn't a BUSINESS for you, so it's supposed to be enjoyable.

I really hope that you can get back to a place where tuning rifles is nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Take care Paul!

Respond to this message   

Blair
(Login Blair63)
SpringGunning Customers

Great Idea

August 3 2015, 6:08 PM 

I'll second that! Everybody in the hobby knows PW tunes. Now they will be able to buy a complete rifle instead of finding one from somewhere and mailing it off for a while. It's an excellent idea that's on your schedule, your pace instead of the customers. Brilliant. -Blair

Respond to this message   
VictorLouis
(no login)

Re: Great Idea

August 11 2015, 3:20 PM 

Great to see! At least you are going to continue to make your ministrations available to the community. I agree with the posters following you, but I would hope you would consider possibly one exception. That is, if a customer wants a gun that you don't normally plan to carry, but are comfortable working on. They would buy one NEW, and have the vendor ship it directly to you first. You would have the authority to return the gun immediately to the vendor if it wasn't "right" to your satisfaction, out of the box. Customer agrees to pay you for such unforseen return shipping/handling costs, obviously.
IF the gun is good to go, it goes into the queue to dress it up just like any other.

Respond to this message   

Paul Watts
Owner

Re: Great Idea

September 30 2015, 12:22 AM 

That would still leave me in a position of having someone's rifle here. I'm not in a position of doing that anymore.

Many Thanks.

Paul

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

R9