Voyageurs Soccer Talk

Canucks in Germany Update

by Ed

In the Bundesliga 1, Werder Bremen finish up their preseason today with a match vs Dutch 1st division side Roda Kerkrade. Paul Stalteri has not appeared as the first half has ended with Roda Kerkrade up 1-0 in Bremen. Werder Bremen open the season next Sunday (11th August) away to newcomers Arminia Bielefeld.
Also in the top flight, Hannover 96 continue their preparation for their opener away to Hamburger SV that same Sunday. They take on Dutch side FC Utrecht this Saturday. Julian de Guzman has impressed so far.
In the Regional League North, Maycoll Canizales and the Werder Bremen Amateurs opened their season on a winning note, beating SC Verl 1-0 at home. No game report as yet. They are back in action this Friday as they are away to Hamburger SV Amateurs in the 2nd game of the season.
Tomorrow, in the Regional League South, Tam Nsaliwa and his 1.FC Saarbrucken side will look to make it two wins on the season as they travel to take on Kickers Offenbach. Busy season already, as they play again on Sunday at home vs VfR Aalen.
Also tomorrow, will be watching for Victor Oppong in the 1.FC Saarbrucken Amateur side as they open their Oberliga Southwest campaign at home vs SC 07 Idar Oberstein. They also play again on the weekend, against SC Halberg Brebach.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:42 PM
from IP address 192.131.137.129

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re

by Ed

Stalteri on to start the 2nd half.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:44 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Any news on Chris Williams tryout with Werder Bremen?? (nm)

by Luis Rancagua

(nm)

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:55 PM
from IP address 159.231.37.1

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Last we heard......

by Gian-luca

Jeremy Shepherd was heading back to Berlin to play with Hertha's U18 squad. Jeremy wasn't called to the current U-20 tournament, perhaps because he's considered too young, but I thought perhaps because he was needed by his club team. Do you know off-hand if his league begins play soon?

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:11 PM
from IP address 209.121.89.2

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Mad Cap Mac : Welcome back to the board.

by Impact supporter

Good to see you back on this board.

I would like to get your opinion on this CPSL expansion and the supposed PCSL-CPSL merger. Is this going to happen at all? Do you think it would make more sense if the CPSL were to merge with all the other provincial leagues. Even if the CPSL and provincial leagues were to merge into Conferences, would this really make a difference with regards to attendance(right now mostly friends and family of the players)?

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:31 PM
from IP address 65.94.164.147

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Salut!

by MCM

Hey man.

There isn't the budget for interlocking play, so that's a non-issue. Hopefully the powers that be will arrange for some sort of cooperative marketing, etc, but even a post season cup will be tricky - for example, Vic Utd lose a few key players in mid August that return to US college teams. Never mind the expense. It is the same across the nation.

I think that we could sell 2,000 plus tickets in a heartbeat to a meaningful (ie Cup) match against the Whitecaps.

Also, from the B.C. perspective, you have to remember that, although the Whitecaps and PCSL run over the summer, our club scene here is over the winter. This makes it tough for our provincial champs (Gorge of Victoria for the second year, from which a few of the PCSL 2002 CHAMPIONS VIC UTD (yeah!) came) to peak for the nationals (in St John this year), compared to the ROC (rest of Canada), where you lot are all playing club soccer all summer only. The PCSL is not at the pinnacle of BC soccer (as the CPSL fancies itself for Ont / Que), but is a summer diversion. Don't get me wrong, the calibre is probably higher, because you have a small number of what are basically all-star teams in the PCSL - but the fact remains that many top players give the PCSL a pass, as they take a summer break from the sport.

A merger isn't going to happen. I'd like to see some league directed marketing, some better media coordination, and a better web presence for the PCSL as starting points. Cooperation between the CPSL and PCSL is at least a start. The CPSL are better in this regard, and their web presence should become the minimum standard nationally. As I've also said before, in a perfect world PCSL clubs would all have women's and youth set-ups (the Metro leagues), and have regional bases, and no special interest groups (like the ethnic Khalsa, or the religious Athletes in Action), but simply local clubs dedicated to sport, not some other agenda.

Just renaming leagues wouldn't affect attendances by itself - unless it was accompanied by the things above. Also, the leagues need to move out of Metro Toronto and Vancouver into the communities where people will actually come out and watch. The CPSL draws flies; and while 300 isn't much, it seems only Victoria and Kelowna can get that in the PCSL. Ottawa proved that it can happen in Ontario too - but only where the A-League alternative isn't there.

Cheers.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 7:11 PM
from IP address 204.239.41.24

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Australia bored of Sports domination....

by Moosehead

query whether its individual states should be represented instead:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/commonwealthgames2002/hi/features/newsid_2161000/2161399.stm

Low Graphics Tuesday, 30 July, 2002, 13:38 GMT 14:38 UK

Aussies bored of winning

Will Jana Pittman be representing New South Wales in the future?

By Kevin Darling
BBC Sport Online

One of the more predictable aspects of the 2002 Commonwealth Games has been the sight of Australians winning medals with breathtaking regularity.

Such is the nation's dominance of the medals table that one Australian newspaper is complaining that the Games are too easy.

Full medals table
The Daily Telegraph has made the novel suggestion that Aussie athletes should compete for their state of origin rather than their country.

For the rest of us, this begs the question of whether the super-competitive Australians are getting soft, or whether they've become even more arrogant.

According to the paper, the state of New South Wales alone had already bagged 20 medals by the end of Monday.

That total that would put them third in the medals table.

State medal hauls
NSW: 20
Queensland: 14
Victoria: 12

Queensland and Victoria, with 14 and 12 gongs respectively, would currently hold the fourth and fifth spots had they competed separately.

This was before Ian Thorpe had even got his trunks wet.

The Telegraph, Australia's best-selling daily, thinks the Australian team should be broken down into states to give others more of a chance.

The newspaper points to the example of Great Britain, which splits into England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Guernsey and the Isle of Man during the Games.

However, there is a stumbling block to the tabloid's revolutionary idea, namely the constitution of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF).

The rulebook stipulates that the Games are open to: "Associations from Commonwealth countries, colonies, and dependent or associated territories of a Commonwealth country."

Ian Thorpe leads Aussie sporting dominance

There is no mention of states of individual nations.

The paper points out that, under article 29, changes to the constitution can be made, providing two-thirds of the CGF's members give it their backing.

Australian team spokesman John Gatfield remains unconvinced by the Daily Telegraph's proposition.

He told Sport Online: "New South Wales might be able to hold their own in the Games, but smaller states like Tasmania and Northern Territories would miss out.

"When we compete as a nation, state rivalries are forgotten," he insisted.

It would certainly seem that the Australian press is using its sporting prowess as an opportunity to patronise, rather than invigorate, the Commonwealth Games also-rans.

Perhaps the paper's next step will be to tout the multi-gold-medal chasing "Thorpedo" as a separate country.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:25 PM
from IP address 142.179.145.160

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

as i told my aussie friend

by sea

do they play ice hockey at the commonwealth games?

who cares then............

Posted on Jul 31, 2002, 12:02 AM
from IP address 66.185.84.198

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Reasonably Yours.....

by Mark Bick

..... just a note to inform the footie fans that BC's "World Football Pages" is still going strong....and have come up with a new subscription offer that is very attractive.

You can get 12 issues for $24.12...not bad! They indicate in their most recent issue that they will be providing in-depth coverage of the 2002 W-league championship and the Fifa U-19 "boy can they play" tourney ( you know a set of balls must of come up with that daft,insulting signature.)

Jonathan Himsworth continues to justify his starting position - the guy would be pencilled in on any publication. Graham Anderson of the BC Soccer Referees Association penned an engaging opening column in issue 5, looking forward to his future offerings. This mag is worth the $2 per issue sub rate...but don't just take my word for it.

Issue 5 features a "letter to the editor" from a certain Paul S. Hendren, who claims to be affiliated with Inside Soccer magazine, writes " You have a fine-looking publication with a real UK fanzine feel to it. A little more serious "Feature Writing" will push WFP right over the moon...Fabulous Graphics!"

The magazine still has the devil-may -care feel to it, still running on that intoxicating high of starting an energetic, fun publication. They have gotten their act together on the sub front,apparently facing head on the challenge of longevity ( though featuring a full picture of Alan "sweet" Douglas wouldn't seem to be conducive to a higher circulation.) check it out.

Their mailing address: World Football Pages, 2012 Hamilton St., New Westminister, BC V3M 2P6

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:58 PM
from IP address 24.67.253.203

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Glad to hear that the Colonel is writing . . .

by Mad Cap Mac

his contribution alone would make this worth reading. Cheers.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:48 PM
from IP address 204.239.41.14

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

You should be...

by Mark Bick

... doing a little writing for them, help them cover the Island. You were spot on about the Colenall...every column of his is a treat. You always professed an admiration for "When Saturday Comes"....and in your best moments at ISM, you really showed a nice touch. WFP should have a strong appeal for you. Get back behind the keyboard dude.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:57 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Tourney coming up . . .

by MCM

with the lasses, and I will be there. Plus, the PCSL season has just ended, so I'll be submitting. And I'll interview the Gorge players after the nationals this time! Cheers.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:11 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Questions...

by

I was wondering how would one order this magazine via on-line or do I need send a cheque to New Westminster, BC, your head office.

Another comment, is have you guys ever thought of joining up with Inside Soccer, and creating a truly Canadian futbol magazine, I think that a national magazine is truly the way to go, compared to provincial, local, magazines in terms of exposure, greater literary audience in Canada who may not have a clear understanding of how the other provinces are performing. With It's called Futbol, based in Ontario, Inside Soccer, based Ontario, we have great representation in Ontario, perhaps if their are local futbol magazines in each of the other provinces they should unite to create one national magazine, I wouldn't mind paying more for a magazine featuring more detail on the happenings of each province and territory.

Sincerely,

Nolberto S.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:21 PM
from IP address 208.5.237.66

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

The more the better....

by Mark Bick

when it comes to the number of Canuck soccer mags. They each seem to have their own market, not scrambling, fighting each other for the advertising buck.

IMO, ISM was getting a tad stale, predictable. Yah they could get away with calling themselves "Canada's premier soccer mag"...but it would have been more accurate if they called themselves "Canada's only nationally - distributed soccer mag." Orville Reynolds, who use to write for ISM, went out on his own and published ICF, a magazine that in lay-out, graphics and IMO writing , made ISM look by comparison,tired, sloppy.

Well last issue ISM featuring the tag team of Hendren/Fitter, had a little energy, attention to lay-out and editing. I think they did look at ICF and knew that it was possible to publish a decent rag- and that it was time to put out or shut down.

World Football Pages is going after the true fan, people that want some bite, "normal" conversation in their writing. While I would like to see more/basically total focus on Canada eh, it's a home for those starving for an adult appeal to their soccer scribbling. I can't see them coming together...but I believe their is room,a market for all three publications...and more!

World Football Pages doesn't seem to have a website...but they do have an e -mail address...worldfootballpages@telus.net

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:51 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: The more the better...

by

While I agree on some of your comments, I believe that your tarket market for Canadian futbol subscribers is very limited (at present anyways) and by saturating the market with other substitutes your pretty much competing with other Canadian futbol magazines, and at the same time decreasing your revenue over the the long run, which will put you close to red ink or bankruptcy. If it's because of politics that their can never be in-depth truly national magazine, then their is nothing I can suggest that will remedy it. However, if money (particularly greater amount of profits in the long run) is involved or foreseen, I believe all parties will be willing to tolerate each other and collectively bring proposals on the table that will benefit everyone. While I agree that Canadian futbol magazines should be almost entirely Canadian, you have to leave some room for some international articles related to Canadians playing in other overseas leagues, or Canadian teams playing exhibitions or tournaments overseas. Perhaps, if more Canadians are willing to learn the Spanish language we would see more Canadians in Latin America than in Europe. By playing in any division in Latin America, Canadian players could get to the chance to improve their technical skills, since we don't have any qualified coaches to do so, and once they feel they learned sufficiently, they could head back to Canada and play in Europe, but this time they won't be limited in their attacking arsenal, particularly dribbling, playing one on one vs opposition, and knowing when to pass accurately. Okay, I am ranting on and on, but perhaps you can look into the magazine issue, in the future. Good luck with your magazine, and once I'm in Vancouver this September, I'll subscribe personally.

Sincerely,

Nolberto S.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:21 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: The more the better...

by

While I agree on some of your comments, I believe that your tarket market for Canadian futbol subscribers is very limited (at present anyways) and by saturating the market with other substitutes your pretty much competing with other Canadian futbol magazines, and at the same time decreasing your revenue over the the long run, which will put you close to red ink or bankruptcy. If it's because of politics that their can never be in-depth truly national magazine, then their is nothing I can suggest that will remedy it. However, if money (particularly greater amount of profits in the long run) is involved or foreseen, I believe all parties will be willing to tolerate each other and collectively bring proposals on the table that will benefit everyone. While I agree that Canadian futbol magazines should be almost entirely Canadian, you have to leave some room for some international articles related to Canadians playing in other overseas leagues, or Canadian teams playing exhibitions or tournaments overseas. Perhaps, if more Canadians are willing to learn the Spanish language we would see more Canadians in Latin America than in Europe. By playing in any division in Latin America, Canadian players could get to the chance to improve their technical skills, since we don't have any qualified coaches to do so, and once they feel they learned sufficiently, they could head back to Canada and play in Europe, but this time they won't be limited in their attacking arsenal, particularly dribbling, playing one on one vs opposition, and knowing when to pass accurately. Okay, I am ranting on and on, but perhaps you can look into the magazine issue, in the future. Good luck with your magazine, and once I'm in Vancouver this September, I'll subscribe personally.

Sincerely,

Nolberto S.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:22 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

The more voices the better...

by Mark Bick

... one of the best aspects of WFP ...and hopefully soon IT's Called Futbol (Orville Reynolds seems to be doing the bulk of the writing there)...is the addition of new scribes on the Canuck soccer scene -it's a breath of fresh air. This is not to suggest that the old regs at ISM are to be ignored..far from it...but there is a sense of familiarity to the majority of their writing, that many are focused on one interest - infatuated - reporting.

WFP isn't Utopia ...while Alan Douglas has diversified his scribbling occasionally, he still handles the bulk of the Caps/Breakers game reports. Nothing terribly wrong with that/his stuff...but separation of team/reporting feels,looks better. WFP also has copied ISM in their willingness to do features on sponsers...again, I could do without it.

Yet there is a willingness to push the envelope, show humour at WFP. Add some truly decent writers, and you're glad,a bit amazed ,that we have this canuck soccer publication.

Perhaps you're correct Nolberto, that the advertising dollar is a bit tight for the two Ontario publications (and the editor of WFP...who also has a decent touch at the keyboard,Chris J. Vaughn Griffiths...wrote about the difficulty in getting - and appreciation of those that have signed on -advertisers.) That's the battle they'll have to fight.

As far as how deep is the wallet for picking up these canuck footie mags ...the cost of buying every issue of WFP, ICF, ISM for a year is less than buying 8 months of "442." So it's not really a major burden for the crazed canuck fan.

These are commercial publications, perhaps the trio won't be intact down the road. Yet I believe that there is also room for 4-5 canuck soccer fanzines, perhaps regional, circulation in the 100's perhaps, driven to put out something different. We have the potential - I say a need - for more diversity.

Nolberto- and Watford fan- you both seem to suggest that I am associated with World Football Pages. I'm not...just trying to get the word out on this publication.

Posted on Jul 31, 2002, 12:54 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Cool-perhaps you could...

by

Perhaps you could tell the publisher or editor of World Football Pages in BC to post here once in awhile, for any related articles of Canadian Futbol in BC, or to promote his magazine, since I believe your looking at the "Hard-core" Canadian fans in this site, and possibly re-cruiting new subscribers. I know Ted Godwin, Drew Shaw and even Alan Douglas posts here, and now Lino Terra from Ontario Soccer Web posts here regularly, and once in a blue moon you get Orville Reynolds, Alf de Blasis and Gerry Dobson posting. Maybe since you can't meet each other in person, their should be an initiative in this forum, to help establish an in-depth Canadian futbol magazine that will could help promote the grassroots level more, just look at the Voyageurs Cup initiative taken by most of us, I believe we the fans, will have to push futbol from the depths of unpopularity in Canada and promote the hell out of it, I think it's slowly working at TO Lynx games, where the kids are discovering their is more to a futbol game than just watching like chanting, heckling the opposition, and throwing toilet paper on the field or confetti. Thanks for responding, I'll try to re-subsribe my subsription to Inside Soccer, ICF and now the World Football Pages.

Sincerely,

Nolberto S.

Posted on Jul 31, 2002, 1:14 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

uNF!

by WatfordFan

Hahah, give us what we all want: the nude centrefold of Alan Douglas!

Seriously though, how about you guys get a website? I realize you're bare bones, so I don't mean something that's updated constantly, just something that would pop up when people do a search for Canadian soccer over the internet, and a site people can link their homepages to.

Good on you all for the mag. My dad's been sending it to me here in Toronto.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:34 PM
from IP address 142.106.180.136

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Special Message on the new CPSL Website

by Luis Rancagua

Guys, this seems to be a classy statement from the league.

WELCOME TO THE NEW CPSL.CA
Splash!
We’ve launched – finally.
We have also destroyed our old Web site—blown it to pieces.
That’s important, because with the launch of our new Web site, with its new address, is really the beginning of a new era.

We think the CPSL is on the march.
We are Canada’s only professional soccer league—and we’re proud of that, very proud.
We are proud too, of Canada’s four A-League teams, because like the CPSL, they continue to show a determination to see professional soccer succeed in Canada.

Canada can only make progress in world soccer if we have a good professional soccer structure. That’s the opinion of the experts.

We’ll tell you more about this, starting today. We have reproduced a story now appearing in The Soccer Team, a new soccer magazine being distributed in Canada, the U.S. and elsewhere in the world. It contains CPSL president Vincent Ursini’s views on where pro soccer is going in this country.

We will tell you more about the league and our member clubs. And especially our players. We value our sponsors and will tell you more about who they are and what they do. Beginning this week, you will get our scores same day, or night. The league standings too. Our leading goalscorers will be constantly updated. We will tell you how the games went—who scored, who played well and anything else we feel is of interest.

A few days later, we’ll even show you the highlights—some great goals.
We will keep you updated on schedule changes, our League Cup competition and the road to the playoffs for the Rogers Cup CPSL Championship in October.
That final weekend is being hosted by North York Astros, the North York Soccer Association and the community—we will keep you updated along the way.
We’ll have surprises. And prizes. Some giveaways. We have merchandise. And lot’s more.

We will work hard to earn your support, on and off the field. This Web site is a window to the CPSL. We hope you will follow our league, and become a staunch supporter.
Starting today.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:35 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Nsaliwa pics from last match against Wehen

by CDN-in-Leipzig

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 11:27 AM
from IP address 213.69.56.2

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

WayMoreSports.com: This Week in the CPSL

by L.T.

This week in the CPSL
Jul. 30, 2002. 10:06 AM
By Lino Terra - Ontario Soccer Web editor
For waymoresports.com

Durham Flames 3 Vaughan Sun Devils 1: Durham drops the Sun Devils into the Eastern Conference basement with a big win on the road...Shawn Griffiths scores a goal and sets up the winner for the Flames.

St. Catharines Wolves 5 North York Astros 1: Astros follow up their first win of the season with a stinker in St. Catharines...Carlos Arghittu had two for the Wolves, who scored five unanswered goals after North York opened the scoring.

Toronto Croatia 2 St. Catharines Wolves 1: The Wolves' two-game win streak ends as Croatia regains top spot in the Western Conference.

London City 0 York Region Shooters 0: London squanders some good chances and winds up with its sixth tie of 2002...York Region are winless in three.

Durham Flames 2 Brampton Hitmen 1: The Flames are hot as they knock off the Hitmen for their third straight win...Brampton needs to prove that they can beat someone other than London.

Montreal Dynamites 2 Hamilton Thunder 1: Montreal storms from behind with two goals from Karl Stephen...The Thunder fails to hold on to an early lead provided by Leo Laurito.

Ottawa Wizards 2 Vaughan Sun Devils 1: The Wizards revenge their only loss, earlier this season in Vaughan...Abraham Osman gets both Ottawa goals.

Brampton Hitmen 2 London City 0: Kurt Mella and Jeff Sousa score for Brampton, who break a tie with London for fifth place in the West...Brampton are 3-0-1 against London in League and Cup play.

Ottawa Wizards 2 Hamilton Thunder 1: Kevin Nelson, last season's top scorer, and newcomer Peter Mponda tally for the Wizards, who win their sixth in a row...Hamilton can only manage a late consolation and come home 0-2 from their eastern road trip.

Montreal Dynamites 2 Vaughan Sun Devils 2: Willie Giumarra, just transferred from the Supra, scores for Vaughan as they overcome a two-goal deficit to gain a valuable point on the road...Karl Stephen scored his third goal in two games for the Dynamites.

Mississauga Olympians 2 York Region Shooters 1 (Cup): CPSL top scorer Darren Tilley hits twice as the Olympians advance to the CPSL Cup Quarterfinals (4-2 on aggregate)...Michael Cipriani replied for the Shooters.

CPSL Week 11 previews

July 31 Brian Timmis 8.30 p.m. Hamilton Thunder vs. St. Catharines Wolves (Cup)

Both teams likely circled this game on their calendar the day the schedule was announced...The expansion Thunder (4-4-1) have a number of ex-Wolves on the roster... St. Catharines (4-4-3) lost their last game but are playing well.

Aug 1 Twin Arenas 8 p.m. Mississauga Olympians vs. Brampton Hitmen

The Olympians (5-2-1) are on a roll, having won six of their last eight games...Brampton (3-6-2) are 2-0 vs. London and 1-6-2 against the rest of the league...Mississauga's Darren Tilley leads the CPSL with 15 goals.

Aug 2 Memorial Park 8 p.m. Toronto Croatia vs. North York Astros

This one could get ugly...The Astros (1-3-2) have their first win but were no match for the Wolves last week...Toronto Croatia (5-1-4) have won two straight and have one of the league's hottest players, midfielder Mladen Dikic.

Aug 2 Birchmount 8 p.m. Metro Lions vs. York Region Shooters

The first-year Lions (3-3-0) have lost two straight ... York Region (3-5-2) won the first matchup between the teams 1-0 back in June...The Lions can pass the Shooters in the Eastern Conference standings with a win.

Aug 3 Victoria Park 7.30 p.m. Brampton Hitmen vs. Mississauga Olympians

These teams complete their home-and-home with their second meeting in three days.

Aug 4 Lachine 3 p.m. Montreal Dynamites vs. Ottawa Wizards (Cup)

Montreal (4-2-3) will not have much incentive for this game, having lost the first leg 5-0 in Ottawa...The Wizards (7-1-1) hit the road, where they're only a .500 team in 2002.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 10:26 AM
from IP address 216.129.6.66

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

*****Place your vote on the New CPSL Website*****

by Luis Rancagua

For a semi-professional league, I gave the new CPSL site excellent ratings: http://www.cpsl.ca

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 8:53 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

A feature report and match report for Vancouver v Seattle

by Allison

http://www.a-league.com/features/2002/fea,2002,0018.shtml

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:28 AM
from IP address 4.46.167.126

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Close-up of the Whitecaps supporters

by Allison

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 11:06 AM
from IP address 4.46.167.126

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hey K-man where are the Southsiders in this picture

by

I know you didn't go on the bus trip to Seattle, but perhaps you can identify the Southsider faction or were they split up and sat. I can't seem to recall any faces although one person up front with glasses kinda reminds me of the Colenall.

Sincerely,

Nolberto S.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:22 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

They were split up.

by Krammerhead

Many of the Southsiders went down on their own, the people in the endzone that are in that photograph went down on the bus organized by the supporters club. The Colonel isn't in that picture, I can't picture him taking the bus, but if you look directly behing the Whitecaps/Breakers banner, behind the Breakers logo is Mr. Bean, and right behind him is Rasta.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:48 PM
from IP address 24.69.255.204

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

RE: They were split up..

by

So I'm guessing that Puskas, Rasta, organized the trip to Seattle, it's a shame that Gooner, Swanny, Hamish the Kid, Handeman, and the other regulars weren't their. From what I hear, the Southsiders hardcore are fewer in numbers this year, due to unforeseen circumstances, busy work schedule, natural disasters or plain M.I.A. eh Krammerhead By the way K-man are you going to attend any play-off games, this Sept or is your cash flow tight as it is.

Sincerely,

Nolberto S.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:59 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Actually.

by Krammerhead

The bus trip was organized by Puskas and the supporters club (not Rasta). I think that some of those you list as MIA did attend the game, they are just not in the photo. Southside numbers have decreased this year (just take a look at the photo of the Southside on my website from the last game-no lineups and they removed the barbeque due to lack of sales). We have had quite a few midweek games, whereas last season many more would come to Friday night games in a partying mood because they could drink, sing and not have to go to work the next day.

As for me being MIA for the game in Seattle, it was not because of money. I had planned to purchase a ticket for the bus package on the final day that they were available. Unfortunately before I did I was informed that the police wanted to question me regarding the fact that I tested positive for gunpowder the night my dad committed suicide. So there was no way that I was going to attempt crossing the border knowing that the police were looking to question me. As it turned out I had relatives visit me on that day anyway, so it all worked out okay. (By the way I have since been questioned and the case closed so no I didn't do anything criminal).

If the Whitecaps make the playoffs, I'll be there.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 4:08 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I wasn't referring to yourself K-man

by

Sorry if you took my MIA sarcarsm ranting as including yourself, I meant the Southsiders who have been MIA the whole season. I myself had been MIA during the initial beginnings of the season, but that was mostly due to financial difficulties regarding my VISA payments. Regarding your Dad, my condolensces, if I hadn't stated that in a previous post, but I can't understand the Vancouver police's problem in interrogating you, basically making you a suspect in your father's suicide attempt. The more and more I read about Vancouver's crime rate increasing and the Vancouver police not knowing how to cope with it the more I laught at the Dept itself. I read in one of the newspapers in Van., that the Van. Police have surrendered in their war on drugs, and have asked assistance from the DEA of the USA, they don't know how to cope with Hastings any longer, even home-invasions are on the rise all over Vancouver, and the police don't know how to cope with that either. So don't worry K-man, I hear you, but hope to see ya in Sept during the playoffs.

Sincerely,

Nolberto S.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 4:22 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hey no worries.

by Krammerhead

I thought you were referring to me, but only because recently I have had a number of Portland supporters question why I haven't attended any road games, questioning my "loyalty" and "hardcore support". Of course they don't realize that sometimes other commitments and real life scenarios sometimes make travelling to away games a little difficult or imposssible.

Regarding the police we are talking RCMP not Vancouver police. I too was suprised that 8 months after the incident that they'd finally get test results back and question me as if I didn't want to put that behind me. Anyything to make things worse I was called into the police station yesterday to sign some forms regarding relinquishing thhings that were confiscated by the police. You know I really didn't need to know that they still had a shirt with two holes in and two shell casings, but I guess they had to ask.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 4:36 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

How come they aren't standing ?

by Jarrek

I thought the Southsiders were a hardcore supporters group (chuckle)

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:25 PM
from IP address 64.231.65.104

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I don't think those people are the Southsiders

by Gian-luca

There's no indication of it in the photo at least.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:22 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

re

by Reza

I think the southside is behind one of the nets actually and you can only stand there...just based on what I have seen on tv highlights and also, my few trips passed their stadium...

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:06 PM
from IP address 206.75.46.2

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

"Well, look who knows so much . . .

by Mad Cap Mac

as it turns out, he's only MOSTLY dead!"

Actually GL, the guy near the top left scratching his neck is Julian, who is a SSer who always has a home made flag, and I think the darker skinned guy a few over is R2, another regular. Rasta is in the lower right, with a white cap on backwards as he talks to a person to his left, so there were certainly SSers in the crowd.

There probably weren't enough of them together to actually stand - plus the seats were presumably assigned, rather than the open SS which encourages both movement and standing.

Cheers.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:09 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Thanks for the info

by Gian-luca

They might not have been in a mood for standing too with the result going the way it did - akin to the way some T.O. Ultras sit down when things don't happen as they should.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:04 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

A few thoughts.

by Krammerhead

Many southsiders don't show their support as much when they aren't drunk. Apparently beer at the stadium was equivalent to $10 Cdn for a plastice bottle of Bud, thus I assume there was less drinking.

The core Southsiders are not sitting together, therefore pron=bably hard to start anything.

This is a US stadium. Armed guards would have probably arrested them if they had stood up and made any noise, as it would have disturbed American soccer fans sensibilities.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:57 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

A further point.

by Krammerhead

The Southsiders that do sing and chant son't shut up no matter how much we are losing by. We have pretty good senses of humour. However the number of Southsiders willing to sing and chant this season has dropped by half.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:59 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

RE: Allison

by

Hey are you the famous Allison Andrews, Timbers Supporter and A-league.com reporter, I read and heard so much about you, I always browse the Timbers, Sounders, and SouthSiders fan forum and your name always pops up, just like K-man's name, . I myself am a Ultras/Southsider supporter meaning I have meet both factions and support futbol in Canada, and both are unique in their own ways. But enought ranting, I just wanted to say I enjoy your articles, and keep up the good-work and hope to meet you someday and discuss futbol of any kind.

Sincerely,

Nolberto S.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:19 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Is there anything like the Voyageurs Cup anywhere else?

by

All the official press releases about the cup say something to the effect that it's the only "fan awarded soccer trophy in Canada" (I'm paraphrasing). I'm wondering if that's just in order to err on the side of caution.. is there anything like this anywhere else.. in any sport?

I really can't imagine one.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:32 AM
from IP address 24.70.95.205

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Well, in the States

by Daniel

The regular season champion in MLS gets the Supporters' Shield and there is the Southern Derby in the A-League for Charleston, Atlanta, Charlotte (and maybe Richmond).

The New England Cup, indivisual games between most USL NE teams is also in its first year, although I'm not sure it's a fan iniative.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:42 AM
from IP address 65.92.184.62

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: New England Cup

by DJT

It's played between D3 and PDL teams, so if it's fan-awarded then those would be some pretty powerful fans to get these teams to play extra games.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:44 AM
from IP address 65.48.35.23

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

oh yeah... forgot about the Southern Derby

by

Now that you mention it, I think this was brought up when the original idea for the Voyageurs Cup was saw the light of day. I didn't realise that the Supporters Shield in the MLS was a total fan initiative though. I thought it was a league thing that was cloaked in fan support.

Have we heard any official word on this from either the A-League or the CSA? I've had contact with the USL's Marketing Director throught my website (http://www.fifaconcacaf.com) should I send her the news release? It would be nice for the A-League at least to take some notice of this.... maybe they could handle the cross-country shipping of the cup or something?

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 10:32 AM
from IP address 129.128.19.57

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Screw USLsoccer.com, A-League.com is where it's at

by Daniel

For the fans, by the fans. That's all that matters for now. We have the clubs on board. The league itself is weak.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:28 PM
from IP address 65.92.190.250

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Interesting question

by DJT

As Daniel pointed out, it sure isn't unique outside of Canada, given the Supporters Shield and Southern Derby. But I think that we are certainly larger in scope than the Southern Derby (it's in the southeast US only and was intended to formalize a local rivalry rather than fill a void like the lack of a national championship!) and potentially more significant than the Supporters Shield (it's intended only to point out that fans prefer the traditional single-table, no-playoffs league format). But these were insipirational (to me, anyway) since they showed that fans can do this type of thing successfully.

So the question remains whether or not there is any other such trophy in Canada??? It is hard to imagine anything national, but then again non-soccer fans will probably never hear about us and so there could be a national fan-awarded trophy in some sport that we don't pay attention to.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:39 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I think in Canada we are unique

by Gian-luca

A national trophy awarded by the fans across the country to a club to make up for the lack of a professional league and/or open cup in Canada? Difficult to see where else it could apply...Baseball? Arena Football? Lacrosse?

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 10:41 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Nope

by Ed

There's the Toller Cranston Crayola Cup which has been awarded annually to the most garish Canadian synchronized swim team, as chosen by a team of dedicated 'ice blue' eyeshadow devotees largely based in Montreal and Calgary. And don't forget the 'Fast Eddie' Werenich Memorial Ash Tray (chunky black one) and Stand, awarded annually to the skip judged to be have the best 'hurry ... hard' whilst dangling an Export A from his lips and holding a rye whiskey in his free hand.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:24 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

CPSL should play up its derbys

by L.T.

They have some natural geographical rivalries...

Vaughan - York Region
Hamilton - St. Catharines
Mississauga - Croatia
Toronto Supra - North York - Metro Lions
Ottawa - Montreal (a bit of a stretch)

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 8:10 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Is there anything like Voyageurs for other sports..

by Cheech Wizard

....in Canada?

Go Wizards!

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:13 PM
from IP address 209.195.66.177

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

http://www.canadacricket.com/ ... nm

by Tyler

nm

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:02 PM
from IP address 24.112.20.113

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Cool! nm

by Cheech Wizard

nm

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:23 PM
from IP address 209.195.66.177

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

u15,U17 Nationals

by chancellor

Anyone have the inside scoop on the Canadian Nationals held this past week in Quebec and New Brunswick. I know the results but would like details.

U15 g - gold - ontario
U17 g - gold - ontario

u15 b - gold - bc
u17 b - gold - alberta

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:54 AM
from IP address 207.61.219.99

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: u15,U17 Nationals

by mullan

some info at - www.soccer.on.ca

Posted on Jul 31, 2002, 10:34 AM
from IP address 207.61.218.234

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Need the info...

by Mr. Canada

Can anyone tell me the date and time that the u-19 women will be playing Brazil in Calgary? It would be much appreciated.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:47 AM
from IP address 24.71.223.142

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

August 11th @ 11:00AM

by J

Go Canada!!

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 9:28 AM
from IP address 209.115.168.162

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Merci

by Mr. Canada

Thanks

Posted on Jul 31, 2002, 10:13 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Voyageurs Cup Individual stats

by matthew

I'm going to try to keep these as up to date as possible. If anyone has any formatting tips feel free to pass them along, though these shouldn't be too hard to read.

2002 Coupe des Voyageurs Cup
Individual stats (as of 7/29/02)

Goals
Budalic, Tor 2
Thompson, Van 2
Biello, Mtl 1
Clarke, Van 1
DiTullio, Mtl 1
 Heidler, Cal 1
Kindel, Van 1
Kojic, Tor 1
Lyall, Van 1
Mattacchione 1
Pavicic, Cal 1
Sebrango, Mtl 1
Vincello, Tor 1

denotes penalty kick.

Assists
Aristodemo, Tor 2
Vignjevic, Tor 2
Biello, Mtl 1
Clarke, Van 1
Corneli, Mtl 1
DiPlacido, Tor 1
Heald, Van 1
King, Van 1
Rowland, Mtl 1
Valente, Van 1

Minutes
Auvigne, Cal 270
Chala, Cal 270
Dasovic, Van 270
Jesic, Cal 270
Kindel, Van 270
Marques, Van 270
Thompson, Van 270
Valente, Van 270
Ledgerwood, Cal 249
Lyall, Van 245
Finan, Van 228
Clarke, Van 225
King, Van 224
Morris, Van 208
Zuniga, Cal 201

Fouls
Auvigne, Cal 11
Heidler, Cal 10
Dasovic, Van 7
Finan, Van 6
Vincello, Tor 6
Zuniga, Cal 6
Bosch, Cal 4
Jesic, Cal 4
Kojic, Tor 4
Oliviero, Mtl 4
Thompson, Van 4

Shots
Kindel, Van 9
Valente, Van 7
Barker, Mtl 4
Biello, Mtl 4
Lemire, Cal 4
Sebrango, Mtl 4
Thompson, Van 4
Clarke, Van 3
DiPlacido, Tor 3
Heidler, Cal 3
Vignjevic, Tor 3

Wins
Sutton, Mtl 2
Zagar, Tor 2
Marques, Van 1

Saves
Hirschfeld, Cal 29
Marques, Van 13
Zagar, Tor 10
Sutton, Mtl 6
Zarzycki, Cal 2

Goals Against Average
Sutton, Mtl 0.50
Marques, Van 1.00
Zagar, Tor 1.00
Hirschfeld, Cal 2.50
Zarzycki, Cal 4.00

Shutouts
Marques, Van 1
Sutton, Mtl 1
Zagar, Tor 1

Save Percentage
Sutton, Mtl .857
Hirschfeld, Cal .853
Zagar, Tor .833
Marques, Van .813
Zarzycki, Cal .333

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:05 AM
from IP address 207.195.38.56

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Awesome...

by

Good work Mat. These formatted stats will help keep interest at its peak for Voyageurs Cup games!

Mimglow, Ottawa

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:07 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

3 week Hiatus (including Man U v Ajax!!)

by

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to let everyone know that although I don't often post here, I read it everyday.

For the next 3 weeks, I will be in the Netherlands (visiting family).

On Friday night, I will be going to the Amsterdam Tournament, where I will watch Man U v Ajax and Barcelona v Parma.

Have a great month and make sure you join our soccer pool at members.rogers.com/mimglow

See you soon! GO WIZARDS!

Mimglow, Ottawa

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:33 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Comments on CPSL expansion......

by DoyleG

It would be nice to see a concrete plan from the CPSL on their hopes for expansion. What role would leagues like the PCSL and the AMSL play in this plan?

The biggest problem with such a plan is the viability of any club team. How many of the current CPSL teams could survive in this plan they want to undertake? Even more, how many teams in the other leagues could survive this?

I'm not a fan of this expansion proposal they are proposing. It would be nice though to see some concrete plans from the CPSL

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:26 AM
from IP address 161.184.167.121

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Silence = Working on it?

by

Perhaps the reason all we're hearing is rumors is because the CPSL want to be sure that they have a concrete, solid plan before going public.

I don't think we should feel slighted if we at Voyageurs haven't heard anything about it. Let's be patient and let them come up with a great plan!

Mimglow, Ottawa

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:30 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Yes

by DJT

Not that we are purposely keeping secrets from everyone, but in working on the Voyageurs Cup things come up that aren't discussed publicly right away, like the Inside Soccer article (didn't want to announce it before we were sure that it would happen) or trophy choices (had to be narrowed down to two choices as WF couldn't present the dozens that he considered). These are just small examples. I can only imagine what it would be like for the CPSL.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:58 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

CPSL President Vince Ursini was out West

by Luis Rancagua

Ursini over 2-weeks ago visited the province of Alberta and British Colombia. he spend time with officials of the provincial leagues of BC and Alberta. His tour out West add more to the rumours that something is definitely up.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 8:51 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Doyle, I have a suggestion for you

by Luis Rancagua

On the new Website of the CPSL, there is a section called "Ask the President." You could forward your direct question to CPSL President Vince Ursini by turning to this section of the Website.

http://www.cpsl.ca

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 8:57 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hello Canadian football fans

by Mary

Hello all! I've been a canadian fan since I moved here 5 years ago. I have high hopes in the boys making the next World Cup. I believe that after watching the last 2 Gold Cups that we are becoming a top team in our region!
I really enjoy this site and am happy to see such a passionate fan forum!

Cheers

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:06 AM
from IP address 24.64.223.204

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hello Canadian football(soccer) fan!

by Daniel

Enjoy the board and feel free to participate.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:14 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Where did you find out about us ...

by Jarrek

... My bets are on Inside Soccer ...

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:17 AM
from IP address 64.229.39.218

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

reply....

by Mary

Just came across you guys searching thru the web for canadian soccer (football) info and happily ended up here!

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:53 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Transfer Fees?

by JTPenney

I'm leafing through the new cpsl.ca site and I stumble across Chris Williams in the player movement section. He is in Germany with Werder Bremen. The question is how much does the Vaughan Sun Devils or Glen Shields get for him? Surely Canadian clubs can make some money by selling players to offset the budget demands, or an I wrong?

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 11:59 PM
from IP address 65.93.75.50

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Assuming he signs......

by Gian-luca

I would hope they would get a little bit of cash if he's under contract to Glen Shields. There still is no indication that he has been signed or is just over there on a trial. Because no-one (CPSL or CSA) has confirmed the former I suspect its the latter.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 10:35 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Just saw Theo Flury wear a Calgary Storm FC hat on TSN ...

by Jarrek

During a Golf Tourney

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 11:26 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Gimme some credit..

by

And its Theo FLEURY......

I dont wanna hear any comments about theo on this board that is negitive, or your asking for a long long long long long thread

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 11:33 PM
from IP address 66.185.85.70

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

re

by JayWay

And it's NEGATIVE

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 11:50 PM
from IP address 24.114.26.230

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

re re.

by Stu

And I think "Negative" would be an understatement.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:09 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

You guys make me sick....n/m

by

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:11 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Way to go Theo! (nm)

by Mike D

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 10:55 AM
from IP address 192.197.82.136

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

that was cool eh Stu!

by RC

Maybe he'll play soccer and retire from hockey

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 11:53 AM
from IP address 199.71.127.102

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

STORM vs. Timbers pics, July 20th / 2002

by Stu

Take a peek.

http://community.webshots.com/user/stormstu

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 10:28 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hey!!! Former Lynx's players now in the CPSL

by Luis Rancagua

Browsing through the new Website of the CPSL, I came across the following names: of Daryl Holmes and Darran Tilley. Both these individuals are now with the Mississaugua Olympians.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 10:10 PM
from IP address 216.154.28.26

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

two more Mississauga Olympians with Lynx experience...

by

Aaron Benjamin is an outside midfielder.

Forward Jimmy Kuzanovski has worked up the other way this year by joining the Lynx for a few games when they had injury problems earlier this year.

Ooh Caswain Mason was with the Lynx as recently as 2001 but I didn't see him in the weekend game.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 11:13 PM
from IP address 64.56.225.3

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Two more A-Leaguers are ...

by David Bailey

... Darryl Gomez of the Lions and Carlo Arghittu of Roma.

Also, the Lion's have NPSL veterans O'Neil Brown and Brian Bowes.

We also shouldn't forget Lucio Ianiero of Roma who played with the APSL Blizzard of 1993 and of course Paolo Ceccarelli (Hitmen) who played with the same Blizzard club as well as spending years with the Impact.

db

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 11:59 PM
from IP address 24.156.78.136

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

AND DUH..

by

BOBBY RANHDAWA...... Vaughan sun devils

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:10 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

And the winner is....(Voyageur Cup)

by Winnipeg Fury

it looks like trophy B has won by a slight margin. Anyone wanting to know what trophy B looks like (wine cooler style) can scroll back to the beginning of the vote.

I would also like to thank Bill Spiers, Inside Soccer Magazine and Jeffrey Swartz for their generous donation. (Jarrek, can you add them to the official list)

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 8:20 PM
from IP address 24.109.22.66

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

And the total raised to date.....

by Winnipeg Fury

**** $2040.00 *****

Let me just say thanks to everyone who donated to the Voyageur Cup. Initially I was hoping for a few hundred dollars, but your generous donations and words of encouragement have catapulted our fund-raising drive into high gear.

Not only will the Voyageur Cup be reality, but this
money will also generate other projects that will serve to progress Canadian soccer.

Other projects being considered will be the recognition of top Canadian Goal-Scorer, as well as recognition of individuals/outlets in the Canadian media that provide consistent coverage of Canadian soccer. Both projects should be worthy endeavours, but nothing will happen until discussed at the forum.

That said, all focus will remain on the Voyageur Cup for the time being. There's still plenty of work to do for Matt, Danny and myself.

I'll keep you posted as things progress......

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 8:51 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Missed one....

by Winnipeg Fury

Behrouz Dehizadeh also donated to the Voyageur Cup. Thanks Behrouz !

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 6:48 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Jarrek, I think you've missed some names....

by Mark

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=4693&messageid=1027631430

I know I'm not listed on the donations received site (yet my cheque was cashed yesterday) and there are others on the list posted in this message who are not on the list either.

I know you've probably been busy and just missed these names, but I'm sure all of us on this list would appreciate being added to the list.

Thanks

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:47 PM
from IP address 209.161.236.87

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hey and for me just put

by Jeffrey S.

Jeffrey S.

Jeffrey Swartz is all in all a much more serious person with professional obligations who wouldn't be caught dead donating to such a cause.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:31 PM
from IP address 213.98.135.183

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Done ...

by Jarrek

Page Updated ...

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 9:07 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

why our player in europ they didn't donate ?

by behrouz

i am sure some of this guys drop by here ,i think it was nice they could come up with something.it is n't about money ,i was just like to see their name in that list ,which it means alot

Posted on Jul 31, 2002, 1:01 AM
from IP address 64.228.116.74

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Views and Questions re: Whitecaps/Sounders

by Ian Kennett

I was in Seattle for the Sounders game the other day, abnd the first thing I have to say is that the new Seahawks stadium is marvelous. It is open and airy with pretty good sightlines, and is a huge improvememnt over that old concrete bunker, the Kingdome, and the stifling balloon building at BC Place. The unfortunate thing about the Seakawks stadium is the FieldTurf which, while far better than regular fake turf (I've played on both), will, unfortunately, disqualify the venue from being used for official FIFA matches involving the US national team. Certain friendlies may be allowed, but otherwise!

This leads me to a question. I wonder if BC Place is engneered in way that would allow the roof to be removed and new roof installed over the most of the seats only. Would the structure take the increase weight of a solid roof over the stands, and would the place leak like a condo if the bubble was removed?

To the Whitecaps?Sounders game. Basically and frankly, we were overwhelmed and outclassed save for a few minutes here and there. Granted the team is injury plagued. BTW, I wonder how well the trainers are doing at the Caps - I mean, how many guys have pulled groins or hamstrings? Isn't the trainer supposed to keep the guys flexible and well prepared for game conditions? I wonder!

Another question is this: if Dasovic, Franks, Heald, and Jordan had been on the field in place of King, Thompson, N Craverio, and Coppin, and, if Larkin had been in goal instead of Marques, how different would the result have been? I wonder!

Yet another question is this. Seattle made 5 substitutions while we made none. Granted there was just Chris Craverio on the bench, but surely he would have been more threatening in the second half than the flat-footed Niall Thompson who really seems to have lost a step or two.

Still another question: Why is Fonseca still playing guys out of position? Why was Alfredo Valente playing left back where he was turned at will by Ching and Sawatski, when defender Jeff Clarke was on the field in the midfield? Isn't that a little backwards? And, although he was on national team coaching duty, why is Dasovic played at the back when his best strength has always been a disruptive/destroying middle-of-the-park defensive midfielder? Fonseca needs to play guys to their strengths.

And, the biggest question, although the guy was injured recently, (groin pull???!) is how on earth Mark Finan manages to start when he is an adequate substitute, slow-of-foot, and a great guy to give the ball away regularly? Could it be because he is from coach Tony Fonseca's Metro league team, Sportstown, or is that a coincidence? Hmm!

Assuming that the Caps were completely healthy, I would start: (4,4,2)
Larkin (he needs a chance to play again, but must win job)
Clarke (sweeper, fast, great vision out of the back)
Lyall, Cameron, Franks (Franks and Lyall can attack up the flanks when the opportunity arises as both have great speed)
Dasovic (defensive midfielder)
Valente, Kindel, Heald
Jordan, Morris

Anyway there's my rant for what ails the Caps, my team, who are tearing my heart out this year. See you at Swangard on Friday!
Cheers!
Ian

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 8:05 PM
from IP address 24.76.174.26

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Some thoughts and answers.

by Krammerhead

First off, regarding the FieldTurf, a fan on another board said that FIFA has approved the turf in Seahawks stadium for international play. However this fan was a Timbers supporter, and they are usually wrong about everything.

Regarding BC Place, I'd love it if they could rip off the roof. However theres a few problems. First off it's main use nowadays is for trade shows etc, so they need the roof. It was also built with no drainage, because they didn't need any. Without a roof it would flood. There are also plenty of other problems that would arise if they removed the roof.

I wonder if the injuries that the Whitecaps have this season is from Fonseca working them too hard in practices. Maybe he runs them to death to hide the fact that he's a lousy coach. This is also why he plays players out of position. Lets face it Fonseca got the job as head coach not because he deserves it but because no one else wanted it. It's also true that Larkin has to earn another start and Marques has been good, but lets face it, Fonseca was just waiting for an excuse to give Marques the starting keepers job.

The lineup that the Whitecaps have put out on many occasions this season is nothing but a glorified metro league team, and they've put out the performances to prove it. Which is another reason why attendance is down this season.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 8:20 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

some thoughts on the match plus my caps starting 11.....

by

The Stadium looks top nothc, and I felt as if the Field Turf had no effect on the actual game play. I am a supporter of a League in Canada using FieldTurf, this way the game can be played during the Winter Months, and not only in BC/Western Canada...

Regarding the actual gameplay, we were just outclassed, plain and simple...I wonder if the large crowd had a deterring effect on our players???hmm...most likely, I only say this because this is the highest attendance most of these players have ever played in front of.

and to be quite honest, I think our defense and midfield were tragic, we were being beaten left, right, and center. And when we had an attack, it always broke down 35 yards from goal.

MY STARTING 11:-

************MARQUES************

***********N CRAVEIRO**********
*******LYALL*******FRANKS******

CLARKE***DASOVIC***HEALD***KINDEL
*************VALENTE***********

*******JORDAN****C CRAVEIRO****

DEFENSE:-
Lyall and Franks would work well together man-marking the opposite 2 atttacker, whilst Nico Craviero, who is a proven Sweeper could take care of the mess leftover.

MIDFIELD:-
We all know Clarke is dangerous on the wings, anyonw remember the Gold Cup 2000....Dasovic is just plain old tough in the midfield and can win the balls for the team, while Heald can bring some smarts and talent in the middle. Kindel on the other hand is a class winger. Even during the loss to Seattle he seemed to dominate on the Wings.

FORWARDS:-
Jason Jordan is just a potent attacker and can shoot from anywhere with a high percentage chance of scoring, and Chris Craveiro is lethal around the goal. Anyone recall the 2 goals plus an assist last season during the televised match against Toronto, not to mention the amazing run he had before he was sidelined with that nagging injury (whats wrong with him again??). But since he was sitting on the bench dressed for the first time in ages, I'm assuming the injury is finally fading, and he should definately get some minutes next game.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:14 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

One question.

by Krammerhead

Who's going to watch a Canadian soccer league in the winter? Not only would nobody bother to freeze their asses off, the FieldTurf would be rock hard as it would be frozen (when it's not covered by feet of snow).

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:07 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Inside Soccer--feature on Voyageurs!

by

This issue of Inside Soccer has a huge story on the Voyageurs and another story on the Voyageurs Cup!

I'm not about to transcribe the articles here but it's definitely worth picking up this issue.

Allez les Rouges,
M@

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:18 PM
from IP address 24.42.73.160

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hey M@

by Stu

When did you get your issue?? I have a subscription and I haven't received mine yet!!
I just hope they don't forget to send me one as it wouldn't be the first time!!

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 8:12 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

The whens & wheres

by

I picked mine up today at Indigo, in the Toronto Eaton Centre. The distributor typically gets magazines a few days before the subscribers get them... that's just the way it works out I guess.

Anyhow now you'll have something to look forward to. You're welcome! : )

Allez les Rouges,
M@

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 10:37 PM
from IP address 24.42.73.160

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

This must be getting people's attention

by DJT

There was a blip in Cup Web site hits on Monday.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:12 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

re

by Reza

From my experiene, although these things are all great, in the long run, they are just part of a slow move forward. They give you wings and feathers, but they won't lift you up high enough. So, one shouldn't get too excited about anything and one shouldn't lose hope at the same time. Just keep your head down and do what you do and things will sooner or later go your way or at least you get so used to it that you start feeling they do!

cheers

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:15 AM
from IP address 161.184.202.66

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I wrote Alfonso at inside soccer

by Stormsoccer

Told him about the Voyageurs and A-league .com web sites for most Canadian soccer info.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 12:04 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

CSA: Mexico Edges U-20's 1-0 at Festival

by Winnipeg Fury

Men's Youth (U-20) Team
Monday, July 29, 2002

Mexico Edges Canada 1-0 At Festival

Canada's Youth (Under-20) Team suffered a 1-0 loss to Mexico at the US Soccer Festival in Houston, Texas, Sunday. Mexico scored the game's only goal in the 86th minute when Mario Ortiz beat Canadian goalkeeper Alim Karim.

The Canadians had two players sent off late in the game. Kevin Harmse received his second yellow and marching orders in the 78th minute while Josh Simpson received a straight red in the 89th minute.

"For the most part we defended well against a fine Mexican side," said Canadian head coach Dale Mitchell. "Our lack of discipline cost us two players and the winning goal late in the second half."

July 28, 2002 - US Soccer Festival
Robertson Stadium, University of Houston, Houston, Texas
Canada 0(0)
Mexico 1 (0)
Goals: Mexico - Mario Ortiz (86)

Cautions: Canada - Devin Matthews (26), Sita-Taty Matondo(54), Kevin Harmse(68, 78); Mexico - Juan De La Cruz (29), Raul Mendoza (32), Carlos Hurtado (39), Randy Santana (47), Edgar Ceballos (82)
Ejections: Canada - Kevin Harmse (78), Josh Simpson (89)

Canada: Alim Karim, Andreas Arango, Atiba Hutchinson, Winston Marshall, Devin Matthews, Jason DiTullio, Waldo Dutra (Peter Esutache, 90), Josh Simpson, Kevin Harmse, Sita-Taty Matondo (Chris Lemire, 60), Joey Todaro (Mike Lupton, 73). Head coach: Dale Mitchell

Mexico: Jose Martinez, Ignacio Olevra, Zea Oscar, Juan Carlos De La Berrera, Ricardo Mdina, Randy Santana, Carlos Hurtado (Juan Reyna, 55), Raul Mendoza (Jorge Zetter, 87), Juan De La Cruz (Edgar Ceballos, 50), Isaac Gonzalez (Guillermo Rumilla, 76), Mario Ortiz

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:14 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Ottawa Citizen: Victories Twice as Nice for Wizards

by Winnipeg Fury

Victories are twice as nice for Wizards

Darren Desaulniers
The Ottawa Citizen

The Canadian Professional Soccer League champions just keep on impressing people.

The Ottawa Wizards won by 2-1 scores twice this weekend at the Oz Optics Stadium in Carp. Saturday it was against the Vaughn Sun Devils, the only team to beat Ottawa this year. Yesterday, all the scoring came in the second half between the Wizards and the Hamilton Thunder as Ottawa improved to 7-1, good for 25 points, tops in the league.

Kevin Nelson scored yesterday on a setup from Abraham Osman, who scored both Ottawa goals Saturday. Newcomer Peter Mponda put the home side up 2-0 before the Thunder scored on a penalty kick in the final 10 minutes.

"In the first half (Hamilton) were a lot more fired up than we were, but we managed to hold them off. In the second half, we had the wind and the guys stepped it up another notch," said Lianos, who admitted his club was feeling the heat after playing two straight games.

"It's not that we didn't have the horses, but when you play two games in a row, two tough games in a row, it takes a toll."

The Wizards play the Metro Lions in Carp on Aug. 10 and the North York Astros visit on Aug. 11. Both games start at 4 p.m.

At Keith Harris Stadium on the Carleton University campus yesterday, the Ottawa Fury ended their Women's League season with a heartbreaking 2-1 loss to the Boston Renegades.

Andrea Torontow gave the Fury a 1-0 in the 73rd minute yesterday, but the Renegades came back with late goals from Carrie Kueton and Mary Guerina -- the second in the final minute -- for the win.

© Copyright  2002 The Ottawa Citizen

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:11 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Calgary Herald: Storm Bask in Sunshine

by Winnipeg Fury

Storm bask in sunshine with second victory

Only other win came on May 4

Murray Rauw
Calgary Herald

Maybe the plunge in the standings has hit bottom.

The Calgary Storm were about as low as a team can be last week, but the attitude changed in the second half of Sunday's A-League game against the Indiana Blast. The Storm erupted for three second-half goals and scored a 3-0 victory before 1,328 diehard fans at Foothills Athletic Park. It was only Calgary's second win of the season and their first win since May 4.

"Nobody expected us to do to much today," said Calgary's Kurt Bosch. "We didn't have a lot of our regular players. I went to our practice yesterday and I was wondering if I had gone to the wrong place because I didn't recognize anyone."

But the Storm ignored the changes and pulled together as well as at any time this season. After a scoreless first half, it was an amazing goal by Bosch at the 23rd minute of the second half that changed the fortunes of the Storm (2-16-3). With his back to the Indiana goal, he picked the high left corner with a fancy bicycle kick.

"We had had so many chances in the first half, but it was a day that was going to take something special to get us over the hump," said Bosch. "That will probably be one of the most memorable goals I'll ever score."

His jubilant reaction to the goal showed the significance of it.

"We hadn't scored for so long and we hadn't had a lead for so long, it felt as if a huge weight was lifted from our shoulders," said Bosch, another of the University of Alberta contingent playing with Calgary.

The goal was set up off a header by newcomer Hilaire Kamden.

"It went off my chest and set up perfectly for me," described Bosch, who knew turning around and making a conventional kick was fruitless. "I knew they had a guy right behind me so I thought I would have a go at it. I didn't see it go in, I just saw it go in off the back bar."

Jamie Auvigne and Kamden also scored for the Storm.

With the win, Calgary picked up four points and with Kamden scoring at the 87th minute, the Storm picked up a bonus point for scoring three goals for a five-point day. They now have 12 points, well out of playoff contention.

The Storm kept the win in perspective. They knew they hadn't exactly upset a league giant. The Blast fell to 4-15-1 for the season and they didn't show much determination after Calgary scored the first goal.

But Storm coach Tommy Wheeldon was impressed with the game turned in by his team.

"A lot went into our game," he said. "There was a lot of vanity, a lot of enthusiasm, certainly a lot of heart and plenty of skill. By halftime, I felt we could dominate, and after Kurt scored the first one, I knew there was more to come."

The win may have been a relief for Wheeldon, but the true appreciation came from the response of the new players in the lineup. Kamden, Martin Dugas and Brett Bachelu were all playing their first A-League game and all contributed to the attack.

Bachelu, a 17-year-old promoted from the Prospects, didn't score, but he had an assist and bounced two scoring chances off the post and showed he belonged.

The Storm are back in action at Foothills on Tuesday when the Toronto Lynx (7-10-3) visit.

© Copyright  2002 Calgary Herald

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:09 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Question about Seattle-Vancouver match

by L.T.

For those who watched the game, was there a noticeable difference in the type/quality of play on the artificial FieldTurf as opposed to real grass?

I'm wondering if that would be a viable alternative for a joint Lynx-Argos stadium venture in Toronto...

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:48 PM
from IP address 24.100.89.98

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Well judging from the digcast.

by Krammerhead

It seemed alright. The commentator mentioned that the players were saying that they thought the playing surface was excellent. Vancouver keeper Alex Marques played the match in shorts, as opposed to long pants that keepers wear on most fake surfaces, so he must have felt comfortable with it.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:39 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Help Wanted (Norwegian media request RE: Marco Reda)

by L.T.

I got this email today from a Norwegian newspaper:

> Former Toronto Lynx-player Marco Reda, born June 22nd 1977, now with norwegian premier league club SOGNDAL has played several unformal matches for Canada development and national teams. Here in Norway Mr. Reda is playing with an italian passport. How is it possible that an italian can play for Canada?
> Could someone may be help us?

I would like to provide an informed response. What I know/believe thus far:

Fact: Reda was born in Ontario

Belief: Reda is eligible to play for Canada (although according to Voyaguer main site, has not been capped).

Belief: Reda' father was likely born in Italy and was an Italian citizen when Marco was born, making him eligible for an Italian passport

Anything else ???

Thanks,
Lino Terra
editor@ontariosoccerweb.com

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:43 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

What!!!! Reda as NOT been capped by Canada????

by Luis Rancagua

Wat are we waiting for??? Wy doesn't someon cap this guy for once and for all.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:06 PM
from IP address 128.100.121.225

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I doubt he will be capped for Italy anytime soon ...

by Jarrek

No Rush ... but I'm sure Holger will have an eye or two on him now ...

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:09 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

He's hasn't been good enough to play for nats

by Dave Carmichael

Canada has had better players in his position so why would he be picked? He is nowhere good enough to be considered for Italy so take a pill, Luis.

If shows well in Norway, I'm sure Osieck will give him a try at some point.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 8:28 AM
from IP address 206.186.115.34

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

There are those who believe that the best Lynx defender...

by Grasshopper

wasn't actually Marco Reda, but Milan Kojic (except for last year; he really sucked when he played for L'Impact.) And I'm pretty sure that Kojic hasn't been capped either. Adrian Serioux (whose name has produced a myriad of chants this year) also has his supporters, although I think that he's been a bit off this year.

Blair

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:12 PM
from IP address 142.205.241.46

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Kojic has been capped - u17 tourney in Japan in 93 I think... (nm)

by Marc P

-

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 6:56 PM
from IP address 142.154.64.10

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Born in Toronto...

by Glenn

and lives in Woodbridge, according to last year's Lynx program.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 10:02 PM
from IP address 64.228.42.60

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Don't need to be born there

by Jeremy

Either your parents or grandparents do. That's how Carlo Corazzin plays for Oldham without a work permit. And maybe I missed something, but I don't think Reda's been capped.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:20 PM
from IP address 205.210.170.48

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I thought he had been capped......

by Gian-luca

playing for the U20 team, but perhaps I am thinking of the Pan-American Games. I'm pretty sure he's capped at some level for Canada, but perhaps he's not cap-tied.

Italy isn't exactly scouting Norway for Alessandro Nesta back-ups, so it isn't really much of an issue - all this cap-tied worrying is Hargreaves fault! . Norway capping him would be a bigger concern at this stage, and that isn't exactly possible at this moment.

While we're discussing Marco's life, perhaps now is the time to mention that Marco played for Holy Cross Catholic High School's soccer team (in Woodbridge, Ontario) where I believe some current members of the U18 team attended school (or is it Father Bressani?)

Marco likely would have played against Stalteri in regional High School action, as Paul went to St. Augustine in Brampton (next door to Vaughan) at the same time that Marco went to Holy Cross.

I know Tomasz Radzinski when to Bishop Morrocco High School in Toronto, and I believe Fernando Aguiar also went there, but I'm unsure of the latter fact.

And continuing the high school theme I recall reading somewhere that Julian De Guzman & Victor Oppong went to the same high school.

Anybody not from Toronto know of similar high-school national team anecdotes?

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 4:12 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Reda caps

by Marc P

He was part of the u20 team that went to Malaysia, but I'm not sure if he's been capped officially. Ray has been pretty great with our caps page http://www.canadian-soccer.com/canadians_caps-A.html
and Reda's not on it, so I trust his stats.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 6:58 PM
from IP address 142.154.64.10

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

CPSL Website

by L.T.

aah, another day, another missed deadline by the CPSL...

Maybe their technicians are trying to figure out when is the next time July 28 occurs on a Monday (announced website release date was Monday July 28 @ 6:00 pm)

Regardless, if you look hard enough, the site is already accessible. Two interesting tidbits...

W. Giumarra has been transferred to the Vaughn (misspelled on their own site!!) Sun Devils.

OntarioSoccerWeb.com doesn't warrant a mention on their links page

L.T.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:34 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

and a revamped ISM website

by Ed

New updated website for Insider Soccer Magazine.

www.insidesoccer.ca

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:40 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I don't know about revamped...

by DJT

...as I've seen that layout for months now. However, you are right in pointing out that it has been newly updated on Monday (July 29) with info on the latest issue, July/August 2002... and Voyageurs will be particularly interested!!!

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:50 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

It's up .... (nm)

by L.T.

nm

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:50 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Lino ... don't worry ... cpsl webmasters are copycats ;)

by Jarrek

The reason why the CPSL hasn't included you on their links is because we haven't as well. Basically whoever did the CPSL site copied word by word what we have had on our links page for ages:

Ours
http://www.canadian-soccer.com/links.html

Theirs
http://www.cpsl.org/test/links.asp

If theirs changes, then they must of read this message.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:51 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

You too?? Now I'm really offended... ;) (nm)

by L.T.

nm

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:54 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Don't be ...

by Jarrek

I just added you ... I just never realized that your excellent page wasn't listed there!

And of course you never told me

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:58 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

That must have been their old links page...

by DJT

...because it doesn't work anymore and their new one is different (and has a slight problem as the provincial associations aren't lined up properly with their links): http://www.cpsl.ca/links.asp

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 8:43 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

****The new CPSL Site: Not bad after-all****

by Luis Rancagua

Aside from being late. Te site demonstrates good things to come. I hope.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:23 PM
from IP address 128.100.121.225

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

looks ok

by ray

But in the end the CPSL webpage is measured as a source of information. I hope they keep the team rosters updated!

Much better that the old site, though.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 7:34 AM
from IP address 199.212.18.68

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Doesn't neccesarily mean much...

by Gordon

...but I note Terry Dunfield has been issued a squad number with Man City for 2002/03. #37

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:21 PM
from IP address 167.129.240.10

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Steve Butcher cut from Lynx ...

by Jarrek

BUTCHER GETS CUT

The Toronto Lynx officially announced today that forward Steve Butcher has been released from the club. The native of Buffalo, New York became the first ever American born player to suit up for Toronto and leaves the Lynx with one goal in 10 games played. With Butcher’s departure, Toronto has an opening in the forward position. Head Coach and General Manager Peter Pinizzotto is searching for a high-profile replacement and the club hopes to make an official announcement before the A-League’s roster freeze takes effect on Wednesday, July 31 at 4:00 p.m.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:21 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Darren Tilley maybe?

by Krammerhead

Just a thought.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:47 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

How many other "high profile" A-League players...

by

will be available within the next two days? Tilley sounds pretty logical.. thats probably where the smart money is

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:53 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Let's just hope they don't go back to their losing ways ...

by Jarrek

With Butcher at least the club had a positive record.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:54 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

he is a top scorer in cpsl

by behrouz

he is in the good shape,i think he is the one

Posted on Jul 31, 2002, 12:35 AM
from IP address 64.228.116.74

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Just finished watchin my 2000 86ers highlights video.

by Krammerhead

Man I wish the Whitecaps had Tilley the way he played that season. Had the post game quote of the year when he said when asked about the Southsiders "they drink too much at times..."

Posted on Jul 31, 2002, 12:50 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

What in hell is going on?

by Gian-luca

Tough to build team chemistry when players are coming&going throughout the whole season. Are they going to give young Sergio DeLuca a chance now?(I assumed he was signed for a reason).

That's two strikers gone in the last week.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 10:20 PM
from IP address 216.254.167.88

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Interesting piece from SoccerAmerica...

by

It makes a good point that is worth remembering the next time Terry Jones decides we're going to crash and burn out of the Gold Cup...

My View: It's Already Popular

7/23/2002 12:09:00 PM

-------------------------

UNLIKE SO MANY enthusiastic soccer fans in the San Francisco area, I stayed out of the bars during the World Cup. It wouldn't have been practical. But near the end of the tournament, after a long night and morning of work, I settled onto a bar stool and ordered an Irish coffee, which seemed an appropriate drink for a soccer insomniac.

A replay of Brazil-Turkey was on the television, and a 69-year-old woman looked up and said, ''They ought to shoot the man who invented that game.''

I took it upon myself to inquire as to the source of her animosity toward the sport.

''It makes my head hurt watching them bounce the ball off their heads,'' she said.

''That's fair,'' I said, ''but you'll notice the Brazilians tend to keep the ball on the ground. Besides, no one's forcing you to watch.''

''He's right,'' said her male companion of a similar age. ''You don't have to watch. ... You know, my grandson plays for a championship team in Castro Valley. ... Soccer's going to be real popular here some day, isn't it?''

Ronaldo scored, and I went home to nap. Then I logged online to read scores of stories from around the country about this sport that wasn't yet popular. I came across Kansas City Star columnist Joe Posnanski's article, ''Soccer is for the young.'' He had joined 1,700 people who watched the USA-Germany game on big screens outside of Arrowhead Stadium.

''These were kids watching,'' Posnanski wrote. ''Real kids. The kinds of kids you don't see at baseball games anymore. The kinds of kids you never see at Chiefs games. ... And it hit me. The soccer-rippers are old. Has-beens. They are the same age group who, 50 years ago, said rock 'n' roll would never catch on.''

It's true. Young Americans like soccer. But, as potential sports fans, they're swamped by the traditional sports. It takes a World Cup to remind us that, yes, this sport already is popular in the United States.

By Soccer America Executive Editor Mike Woitalla

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:21 PM
from IP address 192.223.243.6

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Agreed, Plus......

by Free kick

Think of all the marginal sports out there. Be it amateur or professional and by marginal I am not referring to their appeal or entertainment value but rather the size of their following. I am thinking of maybe a dozen or so sports in the olympics such as diving, trap shooting, triathlon etc. Does anyone ever express the kind of animosity towards these sports that you hear for soccer?

Tony

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:45 PM
from IP address 159.231.71.1

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

That is an excellent little tool

by James MacLeod

The idea that people that oppose soccer so vehemently are the same as 'old codgers that said rock would not be popular'

Excellent little piece of PR machinery.

I like that one. I will use it.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 2:01 PM
from IP address 208.181.192.204

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

only synchro swimming gets that bad press like soccer...

by

none of the old guys makes fun of women's hammer throw probably because that doesn't make the Olympic coverage so they don't realize it's on.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 8:16 PM
from IP address 64.56.227.96

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

CSAF A-League Attendance: Lynx worst in Canada ...

by Jarrek

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/post/csaf_2002.html

If anyone has corrections to this, please let me know, also post any references to the correction.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:55 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

City strike made matters worst

by Luis Rancagua

Aside from this issue, let's talk about location. Both my dad and I, we were amazed by the huge distance we had to travel for the last game against the Mariners. What we need here is perhaps moving the club to DOWNTOWN LAMPORT STADIUM. Location wise is perhaps more suitable, given the fact of the dowtown location. We need to speak to the City of Toronto, and request to change the ground facility into real grass.

This is only a thought. Both my dad and I, we were seriously talking about this issue after the last LYNX's game.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:09 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Lamport Stadium: Soccer's worst enemy is Field Hockey

by Jarrek

The Toronto Soccer Association wanted to spend half a million to put in FieldTurf at Lamport. Unfortunately Lamport is also used for field hockey. The plan was cancelled and neither group could come to an agreement.

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/legdocs/2002/agendas/committees/edp/edp020627/it017.pdf

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:18 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

We must re-nogociate a much better deal

by Luis Rancagua

My dad once told me that Lamport was built for soccer purposes. There has to be a legal issue that will make matter more suitable for the LYXN. I'm just guessing here. But something serious has to be done.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:27 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Thanks Jarrek. My fears confirmed. Luis, easier said than done!

by David Bailey

This is obviously a major problem and unless a suitable new venue for field hockey can be found, there is no satisfactory solution.

Field Hockey must have carpet. AFAIC, it's the only thing that makes the game watchable.

Obviously that makes it unsuitable for soccer.

The city obviously has set its own criteria regading Lamport and as long as they include field hockey in their future plans, we're screwed.

It doesn't matter what the stadium was originally built for. It's a matter of what it is being used for now and the city can't just throw the field hockey teams out onto the street.

What we have to hope for is that when the new U of T facility is built, that they go with a carpet. That would open up Lamport for a plan of the type mentioned in the document that Jarrek dug up.

Alternatively, we hope that U of T goes with a FieldTurf type surface and we leave Lamport to field hockey and whatever soccer teams are desperate enough to play on that terrible surface that now exists.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 2:57 PM
from IP address 192.75.172.1

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Can't they find somewhere else to place some field hockey fields?

by Krammerhead

Lets face it they don't need a stadium to play in it's not like anybody watches the sport. We have a few fields for field hockey (and used for soccer) here with astroturf, theres no seating as it's not neccessary.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:41 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Good Point ...

by Jarrek

Unfortunately there isn't anything like that down here ... I think your thinking is a bit too future minded for our backward politicians ...

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:03 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Sad and True

by David Bailey

We don't have any full size astroturf fields that could be utilized for field hockey apart from the Coffee Time Soccer Centre. Wouldn't that be a twist!

db

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 10:52 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

distance to stadium

by L.T.

keep in mind Toronto is a BIG place and a lot of people would find King St. to be quite a distance.

When I look around the Lynx 'crowd' (using the term loosely) I recognize a lot of soccer jerseys from the 905 area, Scarborough and other Toronto suburbs. Moving to Lamport may please the university crowd that I assume makes up a good portion of the Ultras, but I think attendance numbers would suffer (I know I'd only make a handful of games).

A lot of people in my neck of the woods (outside the GTA) won't even consider Argo's or Jay's games because of the pain of going into the city on a weeknight. I think there are enough pro sports that cater to the downtown crowd, the Lynx would have much less competition if they stuck to the fringes of T.O.

Now if they could only find a decent stadium...

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 2:11 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Lamport

by Free kick

Even if you install grass at Lamport the improvement of Lamport over the current facilities ( centenial and York) is only minimal. One can even argue that there is no improvement to the current facilities and that Lamport presents a new set of problems. I can already picture several balls flying over the south end net and on to King street west where the traffic is usually steady. Plus, when I think of a stadium solution, I am also thinking of a facility that the national teams can also use. Lamport can not be deemed an attractive venue for international matches by any stretch.

Tony

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 2:46 PM
from IP address 159.231.71.1

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

We're talking club soccer.

by David Bailey

As a venue, certainly Lamport would leave much to be desired but at least it has reasonable washroom facilities, a reasonable press box, pretty good lighting and adequate dressing rooms.

It is a far superior facility to Centennial Park in those respects plus it has more than double the seating although, sadly, Centennial has more seating than the Lynx currently need.

If you want to think in terms of a facility fit for international matches, we have to start from scratch.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 3:00 PM
from IP address 192.75.172.1

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

"pain of going to the city on a weeknight"

by Tyler

The Skydome and ACC aren't exactly difficult to get to. This past spring I went to two Maple Leaf playoff games - both times without getting a ride from my parents.

GO Transit's train service is excellent despite its price. For occasional use the fees are acceptable. If I can get myself down to the middle of Toronto in an hour and a half from the top of Brampton then there's no excuse.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:05 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I guess that's part of the problem...

by L.T.

You're right, it isn't that hard to get to the dome, but sometimes perception becomes reality...

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:11 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Official attendance at the Calgary-Indiana game was 1328.

by Krammerhead

That will change their average a bit.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:38 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Thanx ... will note :)

by Jarrek

... Maybe Calgary is still the worst ...

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:01 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

1565 T.O. no stadium excuses guys

by Storm

How can you only get 1565 avg in a city of millions regardless of garbage strikes or stadium locations?
Calgary has around 1600 avg (900,000 people)and we travel 1/2hr to 1hr to go to the games regardless of location. We have 2 wins and a brand new team. We don't make excuses to support our team no matter how poorly they perform and our stadium is the worst in the league I'd say.
No more excuse and let's just support our A-league teams no matter where they play.
The last Calgary game did draw 1328 as reported , not 1700. We probably are the lowest attendance but we expected that 1st year.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 11:46 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Toronto Sucks for Soccer ...

by Jarrek

End of Story ...

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:40 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Cincinnatti has the worst stadium in the League.

by Krammerhead

They play in a fairgrounds on a converted cow pasture. Seattle plays in a stadium where the seats are covered in bird crap and the pitch is astroturf and rock hard. In Atlanta the seats are made of concrete slabs. They never bothered to put the actual seats on the slabs. There are plenty of crummy stadiums in the A-League, so I'd say Calgary's isn't the worst.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:40 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

PCSL & CPSL Merger Thoughts (delayed reply)

by

[This is in reply to both WF and Luis so I figured I would start a new thread.]

I cannot really comment directly on what the CPSL wants to do as I have neither seen nor heard any proposal. They can say it is in "on" for 2003 if they like but what a truly sad commentary it would be on the organization if they basically cobbled together a "national" league in a couple of months.

Yes it could possibly work but more likely it would be handicapped from the start.

Do I think Victoria United should or could be involved?

Again it depends on what the proposal is. Are they speaking of a full-on "national" league with every team playing every team home and away or will we just continue along as before with some sort of end-of-season cup game for the "national" title? I assume any proposal would be somewhere in-between.

Well, we might lose several of our best players such as National Team players Liam Girard and Josh Simpson. They play at US Universities and if they played in a "professional" league their scholarship status would be in jeopardy. I do not think the CPSL is enough of a credibility jump to boost sponsorship and gate revenue to pay players enough to compensate for the loss of scholarships.

Also the question of American teams comes up since the PCSL has a very strong team in Seattle, a talented sophomore team in Skagit Valley and expressions of interst from Oregon. Do we lose the American teams or do we try to replicate what the USL is already doing. (It should be noted that at least one team in the current USL system wants to transfer to the PCSL.)

Overall I like the idea of some sort of linkage but a formal merger seems unneccesary and unless there is some sort of concrete benefit (ie: national sponsorship revenue) I cannot se the point.

Now, that said, an annual cup game (or home and home series or even a mini-tournament*) between the PCSL and CPSL would be great if sponsorship could be found to pay for the teams to travel to the final venue. Lets face it, Victoria will be stretching our resources to play in the JF Kennedy Cup in WA state next month. No way could we afford to travel to Ontario without financial assistance.

What comes out of most of my informal conversations with several Victoria United Directors is that they see the future as North-South. Traveling up and down the I-5 Corridor seems much more practical for our budgets than crossing the Rockies (let alone the Praries.)

As a proud Canadian I would love to see a national league. That does not mean I will just blindly vote yes to any proposal to create one.

Ted
Fort Victoria Voyageurs

* Mini-tournament - two-day knockout tournament with the PCSL Champs, Anderson (PCSL league) Cup winners, CSPL Champs and League Cup winners.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:13 PM
from IP address 142.104.36.129

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Thank you for your thoughts

by Luis Rancagua

Ted, would you feel more satisfied if the soccer bureaucrats of the CPSL would come-out with a serious agenda on paper??? So far, everything about this issue is word of mouth.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:35 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

On paper or in person

by

I would be glad to look at a proposal on paper or even better to attend a face-to-face meeting of PCSL Directors, clubs and CPSL Directors.

Ted
Fort Victoria Voyageurs

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 11:33 AM
from IP address 142.104.250.115

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

CPSL: the way ahead

by ray

The CPSL has to complete what it started with expansion into Quebec. The priority for 2003 must be to bring in enough Quebec teams (3 or 4) to create a viable division with the Wizards and Dynamites. The Windsor-Quebec City corridor can still be further exploited and makes the most sense in terms of league play.

The CPSL/PCSL merger is of less importance if a National Club championship (Dominion Cup) is to be realized. Having the champions of the respective 2nd division leagues play each other at the end of the season would be nice but most people would rather see an F.A. Cup-style tournament in which CPSL and PCSL clubs would be involved anyway.

The points Ted raises (travel, NCAA eligibility) make it difficult to justify merging the two leagues at this time. However, I hope that growing soccer popularity will eventually make it a practical goal.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:24 PM
from IP address 199.212.18.68

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Here the game report of NK Zagreb's last game

by Luis Rancagua

Still, NO mention of Johnny Sulentic. Unless he is still in try-outs with the club.

http://www.sportnet.hr/Stranica.asp?S=vijest&ID=198043

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:00 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Sulentic was with Rijeka

by Canadian in the USA

I was just on holiday in Croatia and followed what Sulentic was doing. He was with Zagreb for only a few days and moved on to NK Rijeka. He played in a game against Brotno while on trial there and the coached liked him according to the quotes in the papers, but I don't think he signed because of economics.
Check out NK Rijeka sites for any info on Sulentic.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:13 PM
from IP address 208.217.21.72

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Pozniak played 90 in Orebro 1-0 away win at Kalmar, DeGuzman

by CDN-in-Leipzig

played 2nd half in Hannover friendly against Real Mallorca. Hannover won 3-1 scoring the final two goals in the 2nd half after the first ended 1-1. Nsaliwa played 90 minutes in Saarbrücken's season-opening 2-1 victory over Wehen.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 11:46 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hastings helped GAK beat Madrid

by Jeffrey S

Played the first half and GAK went up 2-0. Game ended 3-2 for the Austrian side. RM defence a disaster and GAK showed superior pace. Hastings held off all Madrid attacks on his side.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:05 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

How could I forget: Hastings plays first half against Real Madrid

by CDN-in-Leipzig

GAK surprisingly defeated RM 3-2 taking a 2-0 lead into the 2nd half and extending it to 3-0 before Real made it close. According to the GAK website, Hastings had a strong match, having to contend with Figo and Zidane who also played the first 45 minutes. GAK travelled after the game to Moldavia for their Champion's League on Wednesday against Tiraspol.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:29 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Interesting not about the Champion's League match against Tiraspol

by CDN-in-Leipzig

GAK are staying in Chisinau about 70 km away from Tiraspol and will first play at the stadium ground during their warm-up. This is because Tiraspol is in the disputed region of Transnistrien which has declared its independence from Moldavia (it is largely Russian and Ukranian whereas the rest of the Moldavians are of Romanian origin). There independence has not been recognized by any other countries, however. Apparently it is too difficult to obtain the Visas required for this area and without a Visa one is allowed to stay only 3 hours there so they will be attempting to arrive and play the game in a 3 hour time period.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:55 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

GAK's Champions League rivals and more on Hastings

by Jeffrey S.

If they can get by these guys despite adverse conditions, playing second leg at home, they would meet Lokomotiv Moscow in the final prelim round. Tough team, though here too they would play the last leg at home. Making past them would mean a spot in the 1st playoff round, lucrative financially and for player exposure as they'd be sure to meet some heavyweights.

Good sign Hastings started, since this was the centennial game I thought they'd go with the veterans and oldtimers first as a courtesy. But no, a newcommer started in their 100th birthday match, meaning they value him as part of the team. And by the time Madrid started scoring he was off the field.

All I saw were highlights, and since GAK attacked the first half saw no Hastings. Every goal could be considered a defensive mishap, mind you the keeper was third string and a bit of a mess.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 2:24 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Finally one these headlines where they WIN!

by James MacLeod

It seems to me most of the time these headlines come up they are in a loss.....

I don't think I am being pessimistic am I?

I just seem to remember it that way....

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:57 PM
from IP address 208.181.192.204

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Actually Orebro are tied for 3rd in Sweden (no Belotte this weekend)

by Jeffrey S.

Just three points off the lead with a game in hand, pending tonight's matches. Pretty good I'd say. And that is as the league hits the halfway point.

We may see Pozniak in UEFA next year if they stay on form.

Belotte's team Angleholms doesn't play until next weekend, the 3rd of August. Norrkopping who ceded him are dead last with 9 goals in 11 games. Why couldn't they at least have given him a chance?

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 2:34 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Peruvian Article: Interview with Irasto Knights in Peru

by

Hey Voyageurs:

I thought of posting this article to follow Irasto Knights in Peru, even though he's doesn't play for the Canadian national team at any level, I thought it funny that the Peruvian press interviewed the man with intimate and bizarre questions, maybe some of you Voyageurs might find it interesting, but I'm assuming the TO Ultras would probably show more interest. Nevertheless here's the article translated by Nolberto S.

Article Title: With "Rasta" of a Champion.
Note: "Rasta in Peru is a slang meaning he has the look of a Champion"

Courtesy of: www.elbocon.com.pe

Alianza Atletico brought Irasto Knights, a Trinidad and Tobago futboler who consumes marijuana in religious ceremonies. He came to show that the Caribbeans play elegant futbol like Peru.

When the Lynx told him that he was going to be playing in Peru, he recalled the names of Nolberto Solano and Claudio Pizarro. That was the only thing he knew for a few days about Peru, this Trinadad and Tobago Forward, Irasto Knights, a rastafari who makes a living in the North American league and who yesterday signed a contract with Alianza Atlético.

Irasto, holding his big hat on his head, states that the style of play that he is used to playing is characterized by velocity and touch and go.

"I'm like the Jamaicans, I have lots of ability with the ball. They already told me that Peruvian futbol is not as fast as the North American game, on the contrary this sport is the most elegant, because it is more visually pleasing to watch and their are alot of touches between the players.

HIS LIFE

"In Trinidad, my first team as a professional was Caledonia. Also, I was on the national team of my country in 1998 and the following year they called me up on the Carribean All-star tournament, and with that team, we won the title against South Korea" says Irasto.

Irasto is not solely dedicated to futbol, in Canada, he not only played, but studied business administration and computer science. "I knew that, besides playing futbol, I should study something that were of my best interests. Also I read the Bible and other types of books that help me become a better person."

Besides ñol(Nolberto Solano's nickname by the press) and the Peruvian "Red Bomber" Claudio Pizarro, he knew other Peruvians . "In the Toronto Lynx, I played with Julio Penalillo and Diego Santillana, and they told me about the style of futbol played in Peru" stated Irasto.

HIS HABITS:

He's a vegetarian, doesn't drink alcohol, and in contrast to his Caribbean heritage, doesn't consume Cannabis. " The lifestyle of a Rasta is a form of life and not a religion. Our country's doctrine is peace, love, and World Unity. Religion only generates division and all that the rastas want is that we all should follow our own personal beliefs in life. "I don't like Rock, but I love Reggae, and hip hop, Bob Marley, Siggi Marley, Yellow Man and other Reggae musical artists. However, I do like Britney Spear's music.

He's only 25 years old and his teammates know him as "Oba". "I am a man who predicts peace and brotherly unity. I hope that within a few days I can bring my wife Nicole and my little girls Many and Shakira so they can live with me in Sullana.

What made you go to Peru?

In Canada, I played in a semi-professional league and what I wanted to play was midfield, where I could better communicate and distribute the balls to the players with greater experience than myself. Moreover, I am eager to learn the Peruvian futbol style.

How are you going to cope with the language in Peru?

Well I’ll have to learn slowly, since I don’t speak one word of Spanish. I have a dictionary and a book that I studied in College, but I know that I won’t have any difficulties, because the language of futbol is universal.

What do you think about Peru?

The climate is okay. The cold climate in Trujillo is not affecting me, because in Canada, the temperature is much colder than this country. It’s because of these reasons that I don’t need to wear a sweater, because I feel like it’s summer. The city does not feel foreign to me, because it reminds me a lot of Trinidad and Tobago.

Have you played in other countries?

During my career, I played in the USA, Canada, and almost all leagues in the Caribbean, France, England, and South Korea.

Do you smoke marijuana?

Firstly, I am an athlete, therefore I don’t see any reason to smoke. I only smoke in religious ceremonies. Moreover, I have to take care of my body, because I’m a vegetarian.

Here's his picture when he arrived in Peru.

and here's his picture from yesterday, where he debuted.

Sincerely,

Nolberto S.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 8:59 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Distribute the ball?!?!

by

Ahahahah, He wanted to play midfield so he can pass the ball, he didnt pass the whole season with us

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 9:41 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

It would be nice to see a Canadian in these South American Leagues

by Luis Rancagua

Aside from Tony Menezes, who once played in South America, it would be nice to see Canadians in South American leagues.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 9:50 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Knights: Consumes marijuana in religious ceremonies ?

by Jarrek

Who would of thought ? No wonder he left ...

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 10:27 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Thank god he wasnt

by

Here durring World Youth Day (week) it would of cost him a paycheck or two to keep going

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 10:56 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

he sounds like a space cadet ... lol glad he's gone ... distribute the ball lol haha

by Tyler

nm

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:06 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Britney Spears?!?!

by WatfordFan

Irasto likes Britney Spears? Geez, his "religious ceremonies" must be rather frequent these days!

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:07 PM
from IP address 142.106.180.136

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

HE DIDN'T SAY HE LIKES BRITNEY SPEARS

by Anonymous

HE SAID HE LIKES SOME OF HER SONGS

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 7:15 PM
from IP address 152.163.189.102

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Calgary Sun: By Gosh, it's Bosch

by Winnipeg Fury

By gosh, it's Bosch

By JEAN LEFEBVRE, CALGARY SUN

Calgary Storm fans could be forgiven for thinking their team, mired in an 18-game winless slide, would never again taste victory.
Heck, for more than an hour yesterday at Foothills Park, there was growing suspicion the Calgary side wouldn't score another goal in what has been a trying first season in the A-League.
But wait ... who's that coming to the rescue? Why it's Kurt Bosch, by gosh.
With one magical stroke of his foot, the Storm midfielder brought a little sunshine into a stormy season. The University of Alberta product's spectacular bicycle-kick goal in the 67th minute snapped a scoreless tie and lifted the Storm to a 3-0 victory over the Indiana Blast.
Until Bosch's highlight-reel effort, it had been a frustrating afternoon for Calgary.
"We must have had about 20 chances there," offered Storm coach Tommy Wheeldon, who picks up his first victory in six tries since replacing the axed Thomas Niendorf. "The 'keeper was making saves, the ball went off the post, it was hitting our own players, going up the line."
Brett Bachelu, up from the prospect team, had a handful of gilt-edged scoring chances while Conrad Chala, Nick Zuniga and Hilaire Kamdem also had near-misses.
"I didn't think it was going to happen," admitted Wheeldon. "It took something special from Kurt Bosch."
"It's funny," remarked midfielder Jamie Auvigne, who netted the second goal, "because it was the most difficult chances that we put in."
Bosch's over-the-head kick from outside the box curved majestically and found a corner behind lunging Blast 'keeper Mark Spears.
"It was just one of those ones that was set up perfectly," shrugged Bosch. "I thought the way the day was going, I might as well try it. Fortunately, it went in for me.
"Anytime you score a goal like that and a goal that helps your team go on to a win, it's definitely something you'll remember for a long time."
The Storm's first win since May 4 -- and just their second of the season -- came against the team with the league's second-worst record. On the other hand, the dead-last Storm were without Chris Lemire, Waldo Dutra and Nikolas Ledgerwood, who are on duty with national and provincial teams, and captain Damir Jesic, who was serving a suspension.
"It's been a very, very difficult week," acknowledged Wheeldon, who lost three other players when they were recalled by the Hamilton Thunder, "and we've overcome it with the youngsters coming up from the (development team)."
Kamdem, one of the recalls, closed out the scoring for Calgary. Wojtek Zarzycki posted the shutout in his last Storm apperance as he, too, returns to Hamilton.
The Storm are back in action tomorrow night at Foothills with a 6:30 p.m. game against the Toronto Lynx.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:47 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Would it be too hard for these reporters to report the attendance? (nm)

by Krammerhead

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:33 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Depends

by Jeremy

Depends on the time of day and whether it's available, whether they get an agate (small print) page rundown from the organizers -- there are a lot of factors. You can't just use the announced crowd because it often differs from the tally they (sometimes) hand out after the game and is generally considered unreliable. Plus, if the writer is a soccer fan, he may have left it out just to prevent the non-fan public from getting the impression that few people watch soccer in Canada.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:12 PM
from IP address 205.210.170.48

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Any good youth league in the Toronto Area?. Please reply to this one

by

is there any good youth soccer league in the GTA area?? where can i find the information?? please help thx

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:56 AM
from IP address 64.231.217.227

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Good things come to those that wait...

by SR

Here is the link to the Ontario Youth League.

http://www.oyslsoccer.com/

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 8:46 AM
from IP address 142.146.232.70

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Any good youth league in the Toronto Area?

by FreeMan

hi, i am 17, is there any good soccer league i can join in the GTA area?

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:54 AM
from IP address 64.231.217.227

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Sad State of Polish Football ...

by Jarrek

Check out this 20,000 seater stadium in Poznan Poland ...

BEFORE

AFTER

VERY Sad ...

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:51 AM
from IP address 64.229.37.254

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

ouch...that IS real sad (nm)

by

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:42 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Did they take a Canadian approach to upkeeping this stadium? (nm)

by Krammerhead

????

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:55 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Of course ...

by Jarrek

Next step is to get rid of the stadium all together and replace it with high priced condominums.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 9:59 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

press release from Toronto Inferno (W-League) July 27th

by

TORONTO INFERNO SOCCER CLUB PRESS RELEASE - JULY 27, 2002

INFERNO INTENTIONS BACKFIRE AGAINST BOSTON
By Glenn Sutherland

TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA - Going into last night’s match against the Boston Renegades, the Toronto Inferno Soccer Club were intending to snap a three-game regular season and playoff losing streak against their Northern Division rivals in W-League play. A win by the Inferno would not only get a monkey off their collective backs but also serve as a psychological edge heading into next week’s single elimination divisional playoff match against the Renegades in Massachusetts.

Unfortunately for the Inferno and their fans, the Renegades scored twice in the first half and once in the second en route to a 3-1 victory.

Meghan Moore started the scoring in the 21st minute, followed by Sarah Rahko in the 34th minute off a set piece.

Both teams continued to have excellent chances at either end, with Toronto’s Leisha Alcia and Boston’s Meghan Frey coming up with solid saves.

There was no more scoring until the 63rd minute, when Boston’s Rebekah Splane connected for the Northern Division champs.

Toronto finally got on the board, albeit in injury time, as Tina Blaskovic scored her eighth and final 2002 regular season goal on a penalty kick. Toronto forward Heather Gallacher was actually the fouled Inferno player but she suffered an injury as a result, which prevented her from being one of Head Coach Tony Marmo’s choices for the penalty kick. However, having the 2001 W-League’s leading goal scorer and Most Valuable Player in Tina Blaskovic on the field certainly helped in the decision making process. Blaskovic fired a waist-high shot past Frey’s right side to provide some consolation for the Inferno and their fans.

“We made three mistakes that led to their three goals. You can’t make errors against a quality team like Boston because they (mistakes) will come back to hurt you,” said Marmo.

The two teams will have almost a week to rest and train before they meet at Bowditch Stadium in Framingham, Massachusetts on August 2nd in their sudden-death playoff match. Kick-off is set for 7:30 p.m. The winner of that match will go on to face the victor between the Long Island Lady Riders and an opponent to be determined.

If we eliminate mistakes at crucial times and in crucial areas of the field, we can get a better result (against Boston),” remarked Marmo.

One hi-lite of Friday evening’s proceedings was a presentation to Ian McClurg, Club Head Coach of the Burlington Youth Soccer Association. McClurg accepted an Umbro Microfiber ball (official match ball of the United Soccer Leagues) autographed by members of the Toronto Inferno on behalf of the B.Y.S.A. for their work in helping make arrangements for the team to play their first five home games at Burlington’s Sherwood Forest. Scarborough’s Birchmount Stadium, the Inferno’s regular home ground, was unavailable for most of the season due to various reasons. Thus, an alternative playing ground meeting W-League requirements was needed and the Toronto Inferno are grateful for the Burlington Youth Soccer Association’s assistance.

For more information on the Toronto Inferno, please call (905) 294-6199, log on to our Web site at www.torontoinferno.com <http://www.torontoinferno.com>;, or e-mail us at inferno@torontoinferno.com.

Glenn Sutherland
Media Relations Assistant and Public Address Announcer
Toronto Inferno Soccer Club

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:32 AM
from IP address 64.56.226.73

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

OT: Creators of Champman to make hockey sim

by

This is for all the fans of Championship Manager and hockey..They are creating a hockey version of the popular soccer sim..Read on..

Sports Interactive, developer of the phenomenally successful Championship Manager series, has announced its first title based outside the world of football.

Set inside the frenetic world of ice, sticks and pucks, Eastside Hockey Manager: Franchise Edition puts players in charge of any one of hundreds of hockey teams throughout the world. It will offer a detailed game world in which gamers draft, trade and manage players throughout various hockey leagues and trophies.

Millions of people around the world follow both national and international ice hockey leagues. The vast amount of detailed rules combined with the legions of hardcore fans make the sport an ideal candidate for a management game. It is currently regarded as one of the ‘Big Four’ sports in the US and Canada, and is the second most popular sport in Europe. Eastside Hockey Manager: Franchise Edition will replicate the fast-moving and exciting world of the sport like never before.

The original Eastside Hockey Manager began life as a popular shareware game, released in 2000. Like the original Championship Manager released 10 years ago, a small team passionate about the subject matter developed the sport’s most comprehensive management simulation to date. Headed up by Risto ‘Riz’ Remes and based in Helsinki, Finland, the team received critical acclaim for the software. Publications throughout the team’s native territory raved about the game, heralding it as a comprehensive addition to the sports management genre.

The shareware version of Eastside Hockey was spotted by Sports Interactive’s Head of Development, Marc Vaughan, who immediately recognised the hallmarks of a kindred development soul. The two teams soon began talking about ways they could work together – using Sports Interactive’s unrivalled technology as the backbone for an even more comprehensive version. Earlier this year, Riz moved across to England to join Sports Interactive as a full-time employee and development began on the Franchise Edition in earnest.

Miles Jacobson, said: “Hockey is a huge sport – rivalling football in many countries – so whilst the subject matter may raise a few eyebrows in the UK games industry, there is a massive potential audience out there which has remained largely ignored. This is the start of a new franchise for Sports Interactive. We will be working with the sport as closely as we currently do with football and will be announcing some partners soon. It’s a huge title for us.”

Riz added: “This is like a dream come true for me. When I decided to start work on the original Eastside Hockey Manager, I never thought I’d one day be working with the Sports Interactive team. They were the inspiration for our game; it’s amazing to think we’re now colleagues. We’ve been working closely with the key programmers from the CM titles and their expertise has really inspired us.”

Marc Vaughan concludes: “For such a small team, the boys did a fantastic job with the original Eastside Hockey Manager – and our goal is to help them take their vision as far as possible. The Eastside Hockey project was a triumph of programming and research on a similar scale to the original Championship Manager game, which is why we were so keen to get involved. By using our expertise within the genre and Riz’s unrivalled passion for the sport of Ice Hockey, we’re confident Eastside Hockey Manager: Franchise Edition will quickly generate the same dedicated following as Championship Manager.”

Eastside Hockey Manager: Franchise Edition is being developed by Sports Interactive for release during 2003.

Further information about the game’s specifications and publisher will be released soon.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:03 AM
from IP address 64.230.105.138

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

U19 Canada vs Chinese Taipei (R)

by Timber-T

Canada 9 - 1. Looked good but I felt a little slow. Could have scored 20. Taipei are small and were pushed around by Christine Sinclair and Kara Lang. Played a 3-3-4 with the back line very steady.

Chinese T scored a great goal on a penalty from about 30 yrds. A wonderful highlite. CT had some good drummers and were well represented with flags and such.

They could be fan favorites here in Victoria when the tournament starts as I'm sure they will be very much outclassed by the Yanks, Aussies and the Brits

Good crowd today which I would say was around 2000. West stands were almost full but very few in the sun on the east side.

Looking forward to a great tournament ...

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:00 AM
from IP address 24.70.201.233

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Missed Geoff's post above - mostly agree tho (nm)

by Timber-T

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:03 AM
from IP address 24.70.201.233

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

CPSL Brampton Hitmen vs London City

by

Result of the July 28th, 2002 CPSL game between Brampton Hitmen and London City played at Victoria Park in Brampton at 7:30pm.

7 min...Hitmen Kurt Mella GOAL...BH Carlyle Prowell runs on left rolls pass to center and Mella blasts ball from 7 yards into short top left corner of net over goalie Altin Ruci.

66 min...Hitmen Jeff Sousa GOAL...BH Phil Ionadi sends through ball up the middle that Sousa lofts 15 yard shot over goalie into top of net.

Final Score:.......Brampton Hitmen........2..........London City..........0............

Attendance was about 100 on this humid evening. This game was a rematch of sorts from last week when the same two teams played here and the Hitmen's 4-0 score put them into the next round of the CPSL League Cup.

Injury plagued London City only brought two spares and had to use one of them early when 15 year old defender Anthony Vassallo was injured when someone stepped on his foot when he ran into the City box. Coach Harry Paul Gauss really layed into midfielder Attila Salamon for his mistakes. Attila may wish he Gauss carries through on his threat to make him walk home rather than them being on the same bus.

Milodrag Akmadzic was solid as a rock in the back for the Hitmen. Midfielder Lovemore Ncube (isn't that the best name in the league!) was initially listed as a starter but a late minute scratch although he came in at the 33 minute mark. His wife had just had a baby! Umm, I think they would have given him the evening off.

Fourth official Gord Arrowsmith put me to good use by our both managing to hold up the sub and time cards. They were certainly large enough to have come from the Esso station! The referee was Steve Mortimer and kept his cards in his pocket.

Rocket Robin
robing@eol.ca

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:54 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

CPSL Mississauga Olympians vs York Region Shooters

by

Result of the July 28th, 2002 CPSL game between Mississauga Olympians and the York Region Shooters played at Twin Arenas in Erin Mills at 3:00pm. This was the return leg of the CPSL League Cup and Olympians had a 2-1 lead from the first game played July 1st.

2 min...Shooters Michael Cipriani GOAL...YS Cameron Medwin takes cornerkick from left that he rolls back to 20 yard line on left and charging Cipriani takes 25 yard shot from left that bounces on arc to right corner of net over diving goalie Patrick Osunduba.

38 min...YS Stuart Black kicks MO Darren Tilley who has back to net in his calf at 12 yards of YS box. Referee Sylviu Petrescu calls a Penalty kick.

38 min...Olympians Darren Tilley GOAL...Tilley blasts Penalty kick low to left, goalie Robert Scala guesses correctly but he wasn't fast enough.

95 min (injury time)...Olympians Darren Tilley GOAL...MO Joevannie Peart on right near end line chips cross over goalie and Tilley standing near left post heads ball in from 2 yards to open net.

Final Score:.......Mississauga Olympians........2...........York Region Shooters...........1............

Olympians win the aggregate 4-2. I only noticed the fluke in the schedule earlier in the day. How can Mississauga have both games in a two game series as home games? What will happen with the 'away goal' rules if the Shooters win by one goal? Referee Petrescu cleared this up at halftime by saying the Shooters were designated at the 'home team' for today's game. With the League having each team play 19 regular season games: two games against six division opponents for twelve and once against the other division of seven teams, some teams aren't going to get as many home games. For all other games in the League Cup each team got a home and away. Still the home crowd of all of 60 people probably didn't influence the outcome. The game was played on a very hot and humid day--the only one worse was July 1st when these teams were here before. The field was muddy in patches because of the heavy rain last night.

Olympians move on to play the winner of the Toronto Croatia vs Toronto Supra series. Shooters realized they had to win this game so that's why I believe they were caught short at the back for that injury time goal.

Shooters had many chances to win this but blasted many shots wide or high. Bill Androutsos was the worst offender.

Shooters have two players with non-obvious nicknames. Forward Frank Sinisi for his large size is called 'The Big Show' after the wrestler Paul Wight but with his new shaved head could pass for Stone Cold Steve Austin. Defender Adrian Cann is called 'Peaches' as it goes easy with 'Can of' however it may be for his curley hair.

Rocket Robin
robing@eol.ca

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:50 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Rocket Robin????Who the hell is this guy????

by The Big Man

hey rocket robin i think u are a piece of **** who knows nothing about soccer........ ....

n e ways i think u are just a middle-aged man who never shows his face cause it is so far up david gee's ass.........

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 10:53 PM
from IP address 24.100.181.225

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Rocket Robin is in love with David Gee??? I always suspected it

by The Big Man part 2

Hey Rocket robin since ur such an expert in canadian soccer...... why don't u get ur A , B , or C license??????

oh that's right i forgot ...u failed all three licenses and had to settle for coaching a houseleague team...which by the way needs no qualifications........

so i find it hard to believe ur reports since u have no brain whatsoever.......

P. can u comment on the rumours that u and david gee are all lovey dovey.......are u guys gay and in love???
please comment on that???? don't be shy

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 11:01 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

What the HELL is this???

by Daniel

Anyone care to explain?

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 11:52 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

A total moron by the looks of it

by Gian-luca

Moderators, please delete those rude responses to Rocket Robin's posts

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 8:34 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Agreed (nm)

by Grasshopper

Blair

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 1:14 PM
from IP address 142.205.241.46

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Any coincidence that the post was made by an AOLer?

by Krammerhead

Naw.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 3:34 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Get a life, loser

by L.T.

RR has done more to promote local soccer than you could ever dream of....
(that is, if you could stop dreaming about gay sex fantasies for a second)

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 5:43 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

what has he done??????????

by the big man

hey L.T.......can you please tell me what the hell rocket robin has done cause i can't think of any???.......and one more thing it is true...David Gee and Rocket Robin are sexually active with each other

Posted on Jul 31, 2002, 2:33 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

video coverage of the Caps-Sounders match has begun.

by Krammerhead

http://www.seattlesounders.net/webcast.asp

They are still warming up, and the only audio is a guy asking someone to check for spare batteries inside his bag and saying "check check" and "do you hear this".

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:02 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

They seem to be way behind schedule

by DJT

Are they even close to starting? It's already almost 10 minutes after the hour.

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:07 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Probably a lineup of people waiting to get in.

by Krammerhead

People buying tickets at the gat I suppose. Same thing happens in Vancouver when there is a big walkup crowd. Plus the womens teams were playing before this, perhaps they went into OT?

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:09 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Looks better then an MLS match ...

by Jarrek

lol ...

GO CAPS!

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:25 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hey I'm pumped up!

by Krammerhead

Amazing what happens when theres lots of fans and they hype things up a bit.

Hey when did Niall Thompson change his name to Neil?

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:27 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

The PR man likely botched it....

by DoyleG

Could they even sign the anthems decently for once!

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:35 PM
from IP address 161.184.166.216

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

He even botched up the home teams names.

by Krammerhead

Also, why if Seattle is wearing red didn't Vancouver wear their white?

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:38 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Wow ... the Profanity ...

by Jarrek

)))

F.ucken Elbow ... F.uck You F.uck You

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:42 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

It's great!

by Krammerhead

DId I just hear a "f.ucken dumbazz"?

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:45 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

The transvestite ref is card happy. (nm)

by Krammerhead

dkfjdf

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:46 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Sounds like a world cup ref.

by DoyleG

nm

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 11:49 PM
from IP address 161.184.166.216

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

This commentator is getting on my nerves

by Rudi

The announcer is a fricken moron. Why do so many sports announcers feel the need to chatter on about anything and everything while a match is being played?

Also, this ref looks like a cross between Ronald McDonald and a crack whore.

That being said, the crowd looks great. And the FieldTurf looks awesome. I completely forget it was FieldTurf until the announcer mentioned it in one of his numerous anecdotes.

Too bad the Caps are playing like shyte

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:26 AM
from IP address 66.185.84.70

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Agree on all points.

by Krammerhead

I was thinking the same thing about this commentator not shutting up. He sounds like a drunk at a party.

Not only is the ref a cross between Ronald McDonald and a crack whore, she also refs like one.

The Caps are playing like ****e, unfortunately they have played like that for most of their games this year, even ones they have won. They have poor coaching.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:30 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Also.

by Krammerhead

How hard is it for this PA announcer to prounounce Kieran? It soes not rhyme with Tiarnan (like he says "keernan") it's prounounce "keeran".

Little pet peeve of mine for a certain reason.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:32 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

talking about poor pronounciation!!

by

The commentator kept getting Nico Craveiro's name wrong....

its pronounced CRAV-AIR-O...say it fast and you have the proper pronounciation......i cant begin to explain what the commentator was calling him....something like CRAV-E-AIR-O

on top of that, what is a giv-and-get? I thought it was always called a give-and-go....

and is it proper to say provider, instead of an assist.

and what was that boxing analogy all about in the beginning of the match, or the Pittsburgh Penguins reference in the second half????
im confused...

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:50 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Give and get, yeah.

by Krammerhead

Yep, what with getting all the names wrong, the give and get, players getting the providers, at least I didn't have to hear this commentator talk about teams getting the re-start (as opposed to a free kick-restart is what I do with my computer) like in any Rochester broadcast, you sure miss English play by play.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:54 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I know Seattle is good and all

by matthew

but what the hell is with the Caps? Why is Coppin starting? And Nico Craveiro? Who is the attacking mid? Is there one? They look like Canada when Aunger was our number 10. Is Valente supposed to be that far on the left?

Oh well, nice to see some Vancouver fans there showing the colours. Hopefully it will be a better second half.

cheers,
matthew

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:37 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Those are questions I've been asking all season.

by Krammerhead

Also they only showed a few of the Vancouver fans who have gone to Seattle. I suppose they didn't want to show the ugly southsiders!

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:40 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I haven't seen them much this year

by matthew

So I'm as far away from being an expert as is possible, but wouldn't something like this make more sense:

---------------------Marques
---------------------Clarke
----------Franks---Lyall----Cameron
---------------------Dasovic--------
King/Morris-----Kindel---------Valente
------------Thompson------Jordan

I've been impressed by Morris. That's about all of the good things I have to say on this one. Let Clarke sweep and he can push forward and team with Dasovic.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:51 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Well in the caps defence.

by Krammerhead

Jordan is injured (so are many others) and Dasovic is away coaching.

However needing a goal watch the coach take out a scorer (Niall Thompson) in the 70th or so minute. Why nobody will know.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:58 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I forgot Dassa was named an asst. coach

by matthew

I knew Jordan was injured (is Chris Franks and Chris Craviero as well?)

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:40 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Franks keeps re-injuring his groin.

by Krammerehead

I think it is really serious, maybe career ending. He seems to keep re-injuring it.

Yes Craveiro (Chris) is injured as well.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:50 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Vancouver looks in trouble.

by Vancouver Fan

They did not make a single sub all night.They couldn't.All we had dressed on the bench were injured players Jordan,Craveiro,keeper Larkin and coaches Fonseca(who I thought was actually going to start)and Mobilio.I believe that young Andrew Veer was also on the bench but I'm not 100%on that one.

Missing were Franks,Heald,Dasovic,Daily,Finan,Berg.All have been starters this year.

There are only 7 games left this season but can still manage 4 th place in the west.Judging by last nights lineup we are going to have a hard time achieving this without at least some of the injured returning.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 2:12 PM
from IP address 66.183.6.17

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Vancouver looks in trouble

by Larnicent

Andrew Veer was supposed to be a starter last night. But, he injured himself in the pre-game warmup. Chris Craveiro has been warming up in the past three games but we have yet to see him in any game.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 7:31 PM
from IP address 134.87.144.15

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Attendance of 25,000 sets A-league record

by Gian-luca

This one game alone probably surpasses the season total for a number of other teams.

It will be interesting to see how many fans show up for the remainder of the season at the stadium where they were only getting 3,000 per game.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:16 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

We were about 75 strong

by Vancouver Fan

and even in defeat we never stopped singing.We definitely got the attention of the players and the Seattle fans who only cheer when they score.We sat in the north end and had great sightlines.The stadium is amazing.The field looked great but would not cut it for international football.As with all North American stadiums they fealt the need to blast us with music even during play.The sound system was state of the art and they didn't mind showing it off all night which drowned out much of our singing.Definitely not a European feel we all aspire for.

A win would of made things more enjoyable but everyone had a great time.We showed them that Canadian fans are the best.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 2:02 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

They were probably testing their sound system.

by Krammerhead

Apparently they have almost cut out all music at their own stadium. However they play that crap at Seahawks games, so they were probably testing out the system using soccer fans as the guinea pigs.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:30 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Seattle keeper a real ass.

by Vancouver Fan

Seattle keeper Preston Burpo was taunting us in the second half.The score was 4-1 when late in the game we get called for another penalty against us.He turns to us shows us 5 fingers predicting the outcome of the penalty.When Marqes made the stop Burpo demonstrated what an a -hole he really is.Needless to say we gave it right back to him big time.Revenge will be sweet.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 2:19 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

No suprise there.

by Krammerhead

Preston Burpo Farto is a known jackass.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 6:32 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Canadian U-19 Women against Chinese Taipeii(R)

by

Just got back from the game a little while ago. I left with a few minutes to go as the score was 9-1 for Canada. Taipeii is certainly a really weak team. Canada opened the scoring around the 10 minute mark, but Taipeii answered a few minutes later with a beautiful free-kick. It was the only time they really threatened us. Christine Sinclair played wide to the left in an attacking role, and Lang played wide to the right in an attacking role. The skill of these two players is phenomenal and they certainly were a cut above the rest of the players. The Canadian midfield was solid, but at times the defence looked a little disorganized. It was tough to tell though because they were rarely tested. The big difference was the physical play of our girls who were much bigger than the taiwainese players. All in all it was a pretty lobsided game. I'm bad at guessing attendance, but it was pretty good, 1000 - 1500 people i'd guess, maybe more.

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 10:59 PM
from IP address 66.183.224.150

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

need more of a challenge

by chancellor

I'm concerned that our girls are not being challenged. In the run up to the u19 worlds I would like to see our defence given a run for their money. All the exhibition games have been too lopsided - yes maybe it will boost the girls self esteem but could also lead them into a false sense of security. In the exhibition games they have played the keepers or the defence have not been challenged.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 12:18 AM
from IP address 207.61.218.230

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

that's not true, Canada U-19 lost an exhibition match...

by

They played the Victoria United U-21 team, part of the PCSL. The game was played on July 25th/2002 at St. Michael's University in Victoria. The girls lost the game 3-1...it was a well-played match...very physical, even though it was boys versus girls (player from Victoria had to be sent to the hospital, mild concussion)

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 1:28 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

And Tapei qualified for the under 19 World Cup

by Jeffrey S.

I think they even knocked out China to get there, so they can't be all that bad. One of the final 12 qualified so a 9-1 victory is phenomenal.

Posted on Jul 29, 2002, 2:16 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I disagree

by DJT

This is probably like Germany beating Saudi Arabia 8-0. The explanation there was not that Germany was great but that the Saudis were weak (and, let's face it, despite making it to the final, Germany was not great).

If you ask me, we are not going for the championship win like most host nations of our quality would. Other than that game against the Victoria men, the team hasn't been tested at all. I can see playing a couple of games against weak teams to get things going, but so far we've seen 6 blowouts (if not on the scoreboard than in our domination on the field) out of 7 preparation games. Play more men's teams if necessary.

By the way, Taiwan did not beat China. They tied them 0-0 in round-robin play, then beat North Korea on PKs (after a 1-1 tie) in the semifinals to qualify, then lost 2-1 to Japan in the final. Their only wins were over Hong Kong and Singapore by an aggregate score of 33-0. Without having actually seen them play, I wouldn't say that these results prove that they are that good of a team.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 2:45 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: I disagree

by griffon

The women play men's teams (or male youth teams) most of the time, you just don't hear about it...

When the Senior women were in Toronto they played against the NTCO Boys squad twice in 7 days. The defense and Erin McLeod had extensive workouts both games.

My parents were at the game on Sunday and reported that it was no contest! But that's not the Canadian Girls fault!

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 5:59 AM
from IP address 216.221.81.97

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Well that's better then

by DJT

So we should be hearing about these games, they are more significant than thrashing Taiwan, Mexico and an underage Italy in 6 games.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 6:10 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Just a Thought

by Just Looking

Interesting that if they lose then the program is not working and what are we going to do. Or maybe the girls selected are not the right girls.

On the other hand if they win by a little then they should have done better.

And finally if they win by too much then they are not playing good enough competition.

Well folks lets face it. Maybe they are good!

Getting good quality competition while at the same time promoting the sport in the country as they have is not an easy organizational task. I think things have been very well planned leading up to the championships and the organization should be commended. How were they to know just how good/bad the competition was? Tying China 0-0 and losing to Japan 2-1 clearly indicates Chinese Taipai should be much better than they showed the other day.

By the way the U19's minus some key players played the full US U19's in April and lost 3-0 with a goal called back and outchancing them in the second half.

Yes more high profile and competitive games may be good preparation but the coaching staff is only just beginning to see how good these girls just might be relative to other nations.

Good luck to them in August.

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 11:31 AM
from IP address 216.221.82.16

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

We shall see

by DJT

Can we beat the United States? Germany? In competitive games, mind you, not friendlies. I honestly don't know, but when the games start I will believe that we can. These seem to be the favourites, from what I gather. We need to be competitive against these teams in order to consider this tournament a success.

"And finally if they win by too much then they are not playing good enough competition."

Well this is soccer, you're not supposed to win 9-1 if you're playing a good opponent.

Why is it that when it comes to women's teams we have to go easier on them than we do the men?

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 5:03 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

You don't

by Griffon

You don't have to go easier on them, the male teams they play never do! Can you imagine losing to a bunch of girls...

I think they are going to do really well in Edmonton, and am looking forward to cheering them on every step of the way!

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 5:48 PM
from IP address 216.221.81.97

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Any Word on July 31 Chinese Taipai game?

by CDRW

Has anyone heard what's happened in this game?

Posted on Jul 31, 2002, 10:20 PM
from IP address 216.221.82.16

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Victoria Times-Colonist: United Clinch Title

by Winnipeg Fury

United clinches first soccer title in seven years

Sharie Epp
Times Colonist (Victoria)

Victoria United could have scored "a million goals," but they only needed one to clinch their first Pacific Coast Soccer League title in seven years.

Tobin Whitmarsh brought 300 singing, clapping fans to their feet at Royal Athletic Park on Saturday, when his penalty shot in injury time gave Victoria a

1-0 victory over the Seattle Hibernian Saints, the league champ the last three years.

"I faked the goalie, made him think I was going to go right, then shot left off the post," said Whitmarsh. "To be honest, we should have scored a million goals. It's unfortunate it had to end on a penalty shot."

The game was the final match of the regular season for United, who finished with a record of 12 wins, four ties and two losses. The victory put them out of reach of the closest three teams -- New Westminster Khalsa, Skagit Valley Rapids, and Seattle -- which can't catch Victoria, despite having three games remaining. United has earned berths in the Anderson Cup league playoffs, Aug. 10-11 in Vancouver, and the international Kennedy Cup at Mount Vernon, Wash., Aug. 17-18.

"It's an incredible feeling," to win the league, said United goalkeeper Jordan Robinson. "We had to lay it on the line, and today we came through. ... (The key) was getting the ball at our feet, because that's when we're the best."

To a man, the United players talked about gelling, chemistry, working together, and it showed in every area of the field. Players rarely touched the ball without a specific plan in mind. On Saturday, they had nearly 20 shots on the Seattle net in the second half alone.

"Dante (Zanta) works us extra hard in practice, so every game we're ready," said Brent Garraway.

Head coach Dante Zanata, who

took over the job two years ago, is one year early on his goal of winning the league in three years. He said the team

is deep and skilled from the 'keeper though to the 17th or 18th player on the bench.

"They've sacrificed and committed to the little things," Zanatta said, puffing on a celebratory cigar.

Saturday's game was intense and physical, with both teams feeling their way in the first half. United had a couple of chances, but Seattle didn't manage any shots on the Victoria goal until the second half. The best opportunity was a free kick by John Hall that curled into the clear past Robinson, but hit the far post. Otherwise, nearly all the pressure came from Victoria, who ran into a wall at the Seattle net manned by 'keeper Sean O'Fallon.

O'Fallon dove to stop a hard, low drive by Steven Williams, then leaped high toward the corner to rob Nando Dunic.

When Williams set up the perfect ball for Jordie Hughes, O'Fallon hit the ground, but got a hand out to deflect the shot. The fans kept up a chorus of oohs, as the goalie seemed to get bigger and bigger as the game went on.

Finally, they beat him on a penalty shot, called when Williams, airborne trying to corral the ball in Seattle territory, was decked by Seattle's Jim Dempsey (or, as Williams said, "a.k.a. train").

"It was a tough tackle, it was probably a just call," said Seattle coach John Purtteman, his face red with exertion. A former Hibernian player, Purtteman, cast on his arm and all, had to go into the game as an injury replacement when his short bench became depleted. He said this season is a transition year for the traditionally powerful Saints.

"We all got old together. We're really trying to turn this team over to the young guys," Purtteman said, giving plenty of kudos to the young United group that tipped over the Saints' pedestal.

"Not only can they play, but they're all just tough," he said. "There's a reason why they are on top."

? One player familiar to Victoria fans was on the Royal Athletic field dressed in Hibernian green on Saturday. Longtime United player Nick Gilbert, who had a parting of the ways with Victoria a few weeks ago, has joined the front lines for Seattle.

? The Victoria Stars were also victorious over Seattle in the women's division of the Pacific Coast Soccer League on Saturday at St. Michaels University School.

The first-place Saints, with a busy road schedule, were only able to muster eight players for the game, and Tera Kasubuchi took full advantage for Victoria, scoring three goals in the first 11 minutes. The teams just played for fun after that, but the Stars notched the victory into their win column, and ended the regular season with a record of seven wins, five losses and two ties. Victoria finished firmly in third place behind Seattle and Team BC, and will play in league playoffs, Aug. 10-11 in Kelowna.

© Copyright  2002 Times Colonist (Victoria)

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 9:40 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Shooters 1 - Olympians 2

by David Bailey

Olympians win on a 3-1 aggregate.

While this match was played at the Twin Arenas complex, technically it was the Shooters home game thus the Olympians goals, both by Darren Tilley (and he should have had a third), counted as away goals.

Dave Gee told me that the reason for this oddity was that as York wanted to open the season at home, a trade was arranged with the Olympians trading their home league game for the Shooters home cup game.

Crowd: Hard to judge but I'd guess 70 to 100.

One nice thing about playing just outside a hockey rink is that one could retreat to the arenas to cool off. The humidex was supposed to be over 40 in Toronto today.

db

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 9:24 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

wizards

by deni

ottawa wizards-2 hamilton-1

Posted on Jul 28, 2002, 10:48 PM
from IP address 149.99.159.18

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Find more forums on SoccerCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement