Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

Return to Index  

You'r Welcome, Bruce

August 8 2012 at 12:23 AM
  (Login SfanGoch)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 72.229.114.25

Response to Joseph, thank you very much for this information.....

I've mulled over the same thing for a long time. I believe that this is a point of misunderstanding as to what the term "red oxide" refers to when the discussion is about it being integrated into camoflage schemes.

Mr. Chory states that the Genormte Anstriche, on page 66 of his book, was published between the spring of 1942 and 1943 because it already lists colors which were destined for units in Africa, specified in 1942. He also goes on to point out that colors were changed/deleted from the previous list of approved colors. The one which concerns us is Rotbraun. It was allocated the position "13a" in RAL 840 B2, which is an updated version of the one found on page 65 (RAL 840 B). The color which most of us are familiar with as "red oxide/Rotbraun RAL 8012" was listed in this earlier list, but not in the updated one.

I'm going to state that, in my opinion, after studying the different paint and color charts, the use of RAL 8012 as a primer color post Spring 1943 or part of post-Sept 44 camo schemes is flat out incorrect due to misinterpretation of the changes and amendments to the Genormte Anstriche. It was RAL 8013 which is seen on vehicles which have been identified as having red oxide covered with patches of RAL 6003 or 7028. Also, Mr. Chory write on page 44 that

The specified brown color RAL 8017 was clearly not always available, and was substituted with the basic Rot )or Oxidrot) RAL 8012, whose hue was later changed to RAL 8013.

So, all of those camo patterns replicated on various vehicles by modelers, with a decidedly reddish-brown hue, are in fact portraying RAL 8012 or, more likely as the above text indicates, the later RAL 8013 and not RAL 8017. Aside from filters, washes, etc., 8017 will not impart the red hue that 8013 does, regardless of how thinned down or lightly sprayed. It's still more decidedly brown.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. We think not true... - Jens M. on Aug 9, 12:55 PM
    1. With All Due Respect - Joseph R. Zrodlowski on Aug 9, 5:18 PM
      1. So far... - Jens M. on Aug 10, 3:32 PM
        1. I wish you success.... - Joseph R. Zrodlowski on Aug 10, 4:24 PM
          1. Thanks! - Jens M. on Aug 11, 2:29 AM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse