Thunder Models - Crossed the line?September 18 2017 at 2:20 PM
|Michael Baker (Login Saransk)|
from IP address 126.96.36.199
While I am continually amazed by the wealth of new kits and, for the most part, the detail and accuracy of those kits, I am still saddened and dismayed that in the zeal to get new products out, manufacturers can be so "blase" over what they are producing.
Take the new kit announced by Thunder models.
German Gedeckter Guterwagen G10.
Even in the promotion text Thunder does state "they were also used to transport "enemies of the nation" to concentration camps."
My question is:
Do we need to have a model of the boxcar that became a symbol of the Final Solution?
Maybe the Chinese company doesn't have the cultural reference to know how close to crossing the line this kit is. Even Dragon, who has shown it is quite willing to put out figures for even some of the most controversial military groups and/or situations has understood that a set of Einsatzgruppen figures would be "beyond the pale."
I don't think this model was proposed deliberately, but it does shows a marked lack of cultural competence. You notice there is a real lack of any Imperial Japanese subjects from Chinese manufacturers. So they understand it isn't all about history.
Maybe an email along these lines could "raise Thunder's consciousness."
Just my two cents worth.
- What bothers you - Greg Sutton on Sep 18, 2017, 2:41 PM
- Quotation marks already indicate awareness that it is a euphemism - Kurt Laughlin on Sep 18, 2017, 6:40 PM
- Well those tragic boxcars could not have been loaded without . . . - Tom Morgan on Sep 18, 2017, 7:23 PM
- No.. - Stirling Lowery on Sep 18, 2017, 7:53 PM
- Well said... - Mark E. Butler on Sep 20, 2017, 4:50 PM
- Following this logic... - Ilian Filipov on Sep 18, 2017, 8:09 PM
- I would put that distinction on the model builder, not the company. - David Bourland on Sep 18, 2017, 8:56 PM
- Probably another reason for the omission - Kurt Laughlin on Sep 18, 2017, 9:12 PM
- It is helpful to remember that the G10 boxcar..... - Bruce Culver on Sep 18, 2017, 11:32 PM
- It then does - Alasdair Jonhston on Sep 19, 2017, 6:38 AM
- Burden of Sorrow - Mac McDaniel on Sep 19, 2017, 9:58 AM
- and why go to all the trouble to post the same thing in two threads - Greg Sutton on Sep 19, 2017, 11:32 AM
- Importantly, they say "infamous" - Tom Hall on Sep 19, 2017, 11:44 AM
- "Infamous" adjective. - edgardo gil on Sep 19, 2017, 4:20 PM
- I think they meant it like this... - Tom Cockle on Sep 22, 2017, 11:58 AM
- I think it's in how you interpret it... - Evan August on Sep 19, 2017, 12:54 PM
- To let you know - Eric GEORGE on Sep 19, 2017, 2:20 PM
- Part of my family rode in one of those for their last trip. - Cliff Leverette on Sep 22, 2017, 12:19 PM
- Cliff, thankyou for that, most illuminating and thoughtful. - Andrew Tomlinson on Sep 22, 2017, 4:52 PM
- Isnt any model of the third reich - marknasim on Sep 21, 2017, 8:09 AM
- That's my take... - David Kimbrell on Sep 22, 2017, 5:32 PM
- Yes, we need it - David Kimbrell on Sep 22, 2017, 5:28 PM
- Re: Thunder Models - Crossed the line? - David Amos on Sep 24, 2017, 9:31 AM