Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tiger tracks

February 13 2005 at 7:28 AM
Zheng Tang  (no login)
from IP address 66.139.123.24

I collected several photos from various resources to demonstrate tigers' tracks, especially for "initial production type" tigers. They are my own observations and might not be correct. Please feel free to provide your opinions. Thanks.

credit: Ryton's "Tiger I and Sturmtiger in Detail"
This is an early production Tiger from sPz.Abt.502. It carried the standard tracks. For convenience, I termed the terminal projection "track pad" and the most outsid lug "end lug". "Standard" tracks of tigers had their track pad and end lug V-shaped in right side and inverted V (^) in left side. You will see these symbles repeatedly below.

credit: Schiffer's "DW to Tiger I"
This is Fgst.Nr.V1. Its tracks were installed identically in direction to the standard type.

Chassis of Fgst.Nr.250001. Its left side tracks had V-shaped end lugs and pads at the rear. That means their direction is identical to standard tracks.

credit: same as above
Right side tracks of 25001. Lugs and pads were inverted V-shaped, opposite to the left side tracks in direction.

credit: JJF "Tigers in combat I"
One of the first tigers of sPzAbt.501 shipped to N.Africa. It had standard tracks.

Tiger 712 of sPz.Abt.501 captured by American. Standard tracks.

credit: Frontline Illustration's book
Famous Tiger 100 and its "mirror-imaged" tracks.

A close-up of its left side tracks

right side tracks, an mirror image of the left side ones.

Comparing with the above standard tracks, it is clear that the standard tracks were identical to left side tracks of Tiger 100 and installed in opposite direction at right side.

Tiger 121, one of the vehicles in Dragon's setting. Notice its tracks: opposite in direction.

A close-up of right side tracks.

A close-up of left side tracks.

Though similar, the tracks of Tiger 121 were different from the standard tracks because they were identical to the right side tracks of Tiger 100. Tom is right at this.
If you want to build Dragon's kit into Tiger 121, you will need two sets of the right side tracks.

This is a shot after Tiger 121 was captured by Russians in 1943 January.

A close-up of its left side tracks. The direction is identical to the above photos.

Another shot of Tiger 121.

A close-up of right side tracks. They were also identical to the above photos.

These two (four) photos demonstrate that it is more likely German themselves installed the tracks but not Russians.

An unknown very initial tiger of sPzAbt.502 waiting for transporting back to repair. Its right side tracks were identical in direction to standard but not mirror-imaged types.

Tiger 111 of sPzAbt.502, one of the four Tigers sent to Lenningrad. Its right side tracks were identical in direction with those of Tiger 100. So it is very likely that Tiger 111 also carried mirror-imaged tracks.

A close-up of left side tracks of Tiger 2 of sPzABt.502 in early 1943. Its direction was identical to the standard (left side tracks of Tiger 100). Hard to tell if they were mirror-imaged or standard types (I prefer the latter).

In conclusion, it would be safer to build your Dragon's initial Tigers into first few Lenningrad Tigers (111, 112, 113?, 100) because of their mirror-imaged tracks. Two kits or additional standard tracks would be needed if you want to build them into later vehicles.

Similar differences existed in transportation tracks, too.

credit: JJF "Tigers in Combat I"
This initial Tiger used mirror-imaged tracks.

When arriving in Tunis, the famous Tiger 142 carried "standard" transportation tracks. The different types of tracks were not due to the production chronology.

Even so late in 1943 summer, Tigers still used mirror-imaged tracks.

credit: Delta's "Sturm & Drang, Tiger I"
This middle production Tiger used "standard" transportation tracks

This early late production tiger used mirror-imaged transportation tracks.

In conclusion, the application of different types of tracks were not due to the production chronology. Perhaps due to logistic chaos?

Hope this clarify something.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ron Hetherington
(no login)

Thanks Zheng, I think you are correct. This helps a lot in what needs to be done...nt

February 13 2005, 12:44 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Zheng Tang
(no login)

my bad

February 13 2005, 3:43 PM 

Perhaps sleepy last night, I got mistakes in transportation tracks. They can be installed in either direction, so there is no mirrored or standard types but just different installation ways.
:P

Respond to this message   
Roger Cockburn
(no login)

Is that Tiger 111?

February 14 2005, 6:55 AM 

Hello Zheng,
I have the Frontline book but it doesn't seem to identify that Tiger as 111. Is it in the Russian text or did you identify it from another source?
I made a model of 111 from the Tamiya "Initial" kit and I made a bit of a mess of it so I am interested in pics of it
Thanks very much for the work you have done on the tracks.

Regards,
Roger

Respond to this message   
Zheng Tang
(no login)

not sure

February 14 2005, 3:18 PM 

Hi Roger
You are right that the Frontline book does not say the tiger was 111, at least in English. I just remember I saw the picture somewhere else and said it was Tiger 111. But the setting on its rear did not match mcuh with Tiger 111 as another photo shows. Perhaps the photo I provided is not Tiger 111. But it was one of the four Tigers arrived in Mga in late August, as the caption in the book says.
Cheers,
Tang

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse