Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

SdKfz 251 C in Africa.

December 4 2005 at 7:26 PM

(Login cezary)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 24.131.231.101

Gentleman.
My deep Afrika Korps fixation just got fueled up a little.
For a while I was under the impression that DAK used only SdKfz 251 B. I asked about it here few months back and most of the people who answered shared popular opinion, only Ausf B was used in Africa.
Now, I just bought me a Ballantine’s Illustrated History of WW II / Afrika Korps, and on the page 133 I found attached picture. Now, I’m not an expert by any stretch of imagination, but it sure looks like SdKfz 251 C leading the column of DAK vehicles in Tunisia. Single piece nose armor, boxed up air vents and so on.
Now, I would love to hear from any of you who my know some more about Ausf C usage in DAK. Are there more pictures of vehicle in question out there ?
What my be the unit , paint scheme and most of all, what my be specific version of the vehicle ? I’m trying my best making out the registration plate, so far it looks like WH 1260?8.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Cezar.

Once again, the picture comes from Ballantine’s Illustrated History of WW II / Afrika Korps

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login schlichtr)
Missing-Lynx members

There is also a very common photo of rivetted Ausf. C.....

December 5 2005, 8:15 AM 

In N. Africa. It is in Squadron Signals book "SdKfz 251 in Action" on pg 19. It is again in front of a U.S. Halftrack. There is also a couple of Ausf C photos in Squadron Signals "Africa Corp in Action" book. Hope this helps.

Roy

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

The C was probably the most common type there

December 5 2005, 8:45 AM 

Have seen some older verhicles like B's fitted with radio gear.

Respond to this message   

(Login daintree)

One just down the page Cezar

December 5 2005, 9:18 AM 

I have to agree, 251C in DAK are not uncommon. By the time the German Army was fighting in Tunisia, the older A and B models would have been less common. My understanding is the RAC tank museum's rivetted Ausf C 251/8 was aquired in North Africa.

In the post I made about Pz AA 33 250s down the page, there's a welded body 251 Ausf C parked in the far left:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1133511874/German+marking+methinks

If you look closely this Ausf C above has the same structure added on the side as this 21.Pz Div Ausf C below, posted here a few times in the past, so maybe its from the same unit(?):

I'm not under the impression these are 251/7-style bridge supports though, they look to be purely field mods to create extra storage space for baggage.

Baz

Respond to this message   

(Login Akosion)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: SdKfz 251 C in Africa.

December 5 2005, 11:08 AM 

Hello,
This photo is part of a sequence showing 10. Panzer Division withdrawing from Kasserine. Many more can be found in Moller/Restayn's photo book on 10. PD, and it's clear that the unit was equipped with Ausf Cs. Camouflage looks like sprayed thin lines over dark (african?) yellow. In fact, quite similar to the Sdkfz 250 Barry Crook posted in his thread below (hiya Baz! thanks for helping out with the elephant thing).
Best regards
Aris Kosionidis

Respond to this message   

(Login cezary)
Missing-Lynx members

OK. thank you very much.

December 5 2005, 7:19 PM 

Once again, my ignorance stands up like shiny penny on the sidewalk.
I’ll try to find mentioned books so I don’t have to bother you with stupid questions anymore.
Thanks for the pictures, and ……….. do you have any more ?
Cezar.

Respond to this message   

(Login Akosion)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: OK. thank you very much.

December 6 2005, 12:29 PM 

Cezar,
as ne of my professors used to say "there's no such thing as a stupid question". Believe me, I've dropped some real clangers in my time. I'll try and get a count on how many 251 shots are in the 10. PD book- since it deals with the division's history from 1939 to 1943, the Tunisian campaign is not the main focus.
Best regards
Aris Kosionidis

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - SdKfz 251 C in Africa.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse