Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

FYI: New Academy 1/35th Hetzer....

January 11 2012 at 11:27 AM
Mike Riedeman  (Login MRiedeman)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 167.102.227.65

box art shown on Armorama, kit #13230, listed as Late Producation Version and due out this year...we'll see. Since I never even saw the Tamiya Hetzer, it was gone before I had the money. I wonder what Academy will charge...either way I have my stash to build, but no Hetzer's there either. Mike

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lingle, Roy A
(Login RoyALingle)
Missing-Lynx members

Tamiya Hetzer?

January 11 2012, 11:35 AM 

Hi Mike! Hi Folks!

Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Tamiya's Hetzer Italiera's Hetzer reboxed for sale only in Japan?

If not, then I missed that one also.
Sgt, Scouts out!

Respond to this message   
Roy A. Schlicht
(Login schlichtr)
Missing-Lynx members

No, Tamiya has their own and it is very nice. n/t.

January 11 2012, 12:03 PM 

Roy

Respond to this message   
tabb tharrington
(Login tabbtharrington)
Missing-Lynx members

You can find the Tamiya Hetzer anywhere

January 11 2012, 12:04 PM 

...they get them in all the time at my local Hobbytown, also 99% sure that the Tamiya kit is NOT a rebox, but all new tooling.

Respond to this message   
Scott G
(Login didiumus)
Missing-Lynx members

Tamiya has (at least temp) put both 1/48 and 1/35 kits OOP If you see any grab them

January 11 2012, 12:11 PM 

I will take one! I have one spare 1/48 and 2 1/35 kits.

Link:http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=35285

Scott G

This message has been edited by didiumus from IP address 63.248.79.21 on Jan 11, 2012 12:21 PM

Respond to this message   

Chuck Rothman
(Login AMPSChuck)
Missing-Lynx members

Still Listed in their Catalog

January 11 2012, 12:41 PM 

The 1/35 Hetzer is still listed in Tamiya's online catalog http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/35mm/kit35012.htm).

I just built one over the holidays. It is a mid version, and apart from the fact it doesn't have photoetch, is easily on par with any other manufacturer's Hetzer. It is not and Italeri rebox by any means.

I picked one up for $40 at one of my LHS in Toronto, and saw it for sale just after xmas for $35 at another one.

Chuck

------
Chuck Rothman
Former AMPS Webmaster
Former AMPS Boresight Editor
Now just a regular AMPS member

Respond to this message   
Scott Gentry
(Login didiumus)
Missing-Lynx members

That's odd??? - check this out...

January 11 2012, 2:09 PM 

Here is what is listed for me on Tamiyausa.com.

Quoting you: "The 1/35 Hetzer is still listed in Tamiya's online catalohttp://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/35mm/kit35012.htm)."

Here is what I get for 35012:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=35012

Here is what I get for 35285 (The kit number my Hetzer has on it):

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=35285

Weird....

Scott G

PS Can you still get one where you are at for $35? I would like another one...

This message has been edited by didiumus from IP address 63.248.79.21 on Jan 11, 2012 2:09 PM

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

The kit seems to be out of production at the moment

January 11 2012, 3:46 PM 

It is not listed on the Steven's International wholesale web site (which has public access to view available kits). Its not listed on some other major dealers/retailers sites either.

Having said that, there are a ton of the 1/35 kit on eBay so its hardly rare

Respond to this message   
Scott G
(Login didiumus)
Missing-Lynx members

Tamiyas' version is "Mid Production" ...(nt)

January 11 2012, 12:05 PM 

nt

This message has been edited by didiumus from IP address 63.248.79.21 on Jan 11, 2012 12:12 PM

Respond to this message   
Ron Owen Hayes
(Login ronrunningman)
Missing-Lynx members

Why bother Academy?

January 11 2012, 12:53 PM 

Since the DML Hetzers (actually Panzerjager 38s if we're being correct) are all excellent basic kits with nice detail (early, late and command) and all being a nice accurate base for some extra detailing, the Tamiya one almost perfect and currently the only plastic rundumfueuer-MG-maker of any note until DML's late StuGs appear, the Eduard one having some faults but with a complete interior....

one has to ask, Academy, why bother with such mouldmaking overkill? I'll lay bets it's not as good as the Tamiya one...

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Different markets, price structure, etc.

January 11 2012, 1:04 PM 

You could ask why Airfix just released a new 1/72 Zero with Hasegawa, Academy and now Tamiya with the same thing on the market. Or why did Tamiya release a Jagdtiger when Dragon had a good one out.

Respond to this message   
Ron Owen Hayes
(Login ronrunningman)
Missing-Lynx members

I doubt it.

January 12 2012, 6:53 AM 

About the Jagdtiger, you may well ask. I guess some people (like me) just like the feel of with a particular maker's products.

However, I would think that Academy, DML and Tamiya are aimed at exactly the same market for this one.

Don't get me wrong, if it's good I will probably buy one myself.

Ron

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

It isnt the kit its the brand

January 12 2012, 7:33 AM 

When I had my shop I noticed different modelers bought different brands of kits for different reasons. Academy kits often sold because they were cheaper, had interiors, rubber tracks. Tamiya kits sold because they were good. Dragon kits often did not sell because they were overly complicated for the average modeler, but experienced modelers bought them because of the link tracks, metal parts, etc. You could have a Hetzer from Dragon, Academy and Tamiya and three different types of modeler may go for any one.

No one is complaining that Trumpeter released a new Hetzer kit?

And there is the repulsive effort by Eduard...

Respond to this message   
Ron Owen Hayes
(Login ronrunningman)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: It isnt the kit its the brand

January 12 2012, 1:41 PM 

Well, I only have one criterion for buying a kit - is it the best in terms of detail? Price doesn't enter into it. Tamiya's would be the top of the current 38 list, followed by DML's, then Eduard's (purely for the interior basis), then Trumpeter's and finally the Italeri 'update'. It will be interesting to see where Academy's fits in this list. Now, if Tristar or Tasca produced a 'late' 38 (or DML retooled theirs), or if Tamiya produced a late variant of their own model, I would buy it without hesitation as I would expect something outstanding in the way of detail accuracy or options.

I didn't 'complain' at the launch of the Trumpeter kit (though it has a nasty, bland feel), and I'm not 'complaining' at an Academy one any more than I would 'complain' at a Tasca/Tristar version. I am merely commenting that, given the enormous cost of tooling a completely new kit (even the relatively simple 38 will be $100s of 1000s for the tooling) why, with at least a half dozen Hetzers available on the market or through ebay, Academy feels it worth producing a new one (given that their effort will in all probability not be better than Tamiya's or DML's) and so the chances of them recouping their investment and going into profit is lessened within such a crowded market.

Btw, as you well know, Tamiya produced their Jagdtiger kits because DML had delisted theirs. So from then it was (and is) the only one actually in production (at least at the premium end, no doubt someone else makes one somewhere so please nobody post in with some czech maker's).

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

But different people buy for different reasons

January 13 2012, 1:13 PM 

People who populate forums like this probably make up 10% of model sales. You might consider a particular kit "best" for one reason while someone else has different criteria. Price can be a big factor. Or other preferences. For example, I had bought the Tristar Panzer IV D. I thought it was a pretty crappy kit actually... multi part lower hull which was warped, the wrong wheel parts, etc. So, I recently found the new Italeri Panzer 38(t) cheap. For $25 its pretty nice and suits my needs. Its got enough detail to be workable, has some basic p-e, decent link and length tracks, basic interior in the box, good decals. So I am happy.

The British Valentine is about as bad as the Hetzer... there are tons of kits of that thing now by just about anyone.

Respond to this message   
Ron Owen Hayes
(Login ronrunningman)
Missing-Lynx members

Sure...

January 15 2012, 5:08 AM 

Yes I understand that and agree with you. Dragon don't always get it right either - witness the now notorious 6264 Pz.Kpfw.IV ausf.E kit with its mass of errors, launched as it was on the back of DML's disgraceful PR campaign knocking Tristar's much superior effort. I had the misfortune of buying the original and uncorrected 6264 and it's amazing just how 'wrong' Dragon got it.

I don't want to sound elitist, as many people can't afford and/or don't want the sheer complexity of of a Dragon or Tristar kit. I just suppose that we are a bit overfed with certain vehicle types and still undernourished in others (at least in the accuracy stakes) which is why I mentioned a Tamiya/Tasca M10 for instance.

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

yes I would agree too nt

January 15 2012, 9:46 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Richard Isner
(Login RichardIsner)
Missing-Lynx members

Wendy's, McDonalds, .....

January 11 2012, 6:38 PM 

....What-a-burger, Hardee's, Five-Guys, A and W, etc, etc, etc. You pick your favorite burger vendor. You could then say why should the other burger makers even bother. I freeely admit that I want any and every kit I might ever desire. Every other modeler wants that too! Academy makes some nice kits. Rather than curse them for making a 1/35 scale kit of something produced in many versions by at least six other companies, I will welcome the new release and hope it is really nice.

Richard

Respond to this message   
Mike Roof
(Login MikeRoof)
Missing-Lynx members

I believe the Academy kit version...

January 12 2012, 6:27 AM 

is for the "star" (*) fixed-gun (non-recoiling) mount. At least that's what I understand from a verbal description from one of the guys at my LHS.

So I guess it's more of a hamburger versus chicken sandwich kind of thing...

Respond to this message   
Ron Owen Hayes
(Login ronrunningman)
Missing-Lynx members

Makes sense if so...

January 12 2012, 6:48 AM 

At least then it would give the maker an opportunity to make this unique variant (the true 'Hetzer' as this name was intended for the 38 Starr) or as a regular 38 with relatively easy changes given the amount of AM stuff for the 38. I at least hope it comes with a f**koff flammenvernichter exhaust, which is where the DML and Eduard ones fall down. If so I may buy one myself haha...

Ron

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse