Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Question about Rommel's SdKfz 250 "Grief"

March 24 2012 at 11:47 PM
  (Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 76.112.244.62

I'm sure many of us built this kit when released by Tamiya many moons ago. I have a question about its actual color scheme. Model directions indicate the tropical German brown over a worn dark grey, with some dark grey blotches left to break up the scene, right?

Roy Chow
AMPS President
http://www.amps-armor.org

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Gregjaco)
Missing-Lynx members

Rommel's Greif color scheme

March 25 2012, 12:35 PM 

That's an interesting question I've been wondering about too, since I plan to do a diorama with the DML Greif and the venerable Italeri SdKfz 15. I've wondered whether the colors might have been one of the other prescribed combinations, for instance, grunbraun over khakibraun. I'm no expert or even a knowledgeable student, But looking at a well-known close-up of Rommel and Bayerlein eating captured English canned fruit in Greif, the posts of the radio antenna and the vertical antenna itself look very much like they were an original dark gray with a very worn overspray of khakibraun. Also, the lighter color is worn away around the top edge of the upper hull, revealing what definitely looks like dark gray - too dark to be grunbraun. Based on that photo, I'm going with khakibraun over schwarzgrau unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Respond to this message   

(Login el-rancho-decomposo)
Missing-Lynx members

Sort of related Q (pic's)

March 25 2012, 2:50 PM 

I've always wondered why the lettering on Greif, and even more so on Adler, seems to be weathered much more heavily/differently on the "undercut" of the armor; paint quality vs. sun/wind? Or is it a trick light & photo' reproduction?

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login darrenthompson68)
Missing-Lynx members

Interesting thread here.....

March 25 2012, 3:54 PM 

It discusses these very points.

Roy, there are quite a few threads on Greif using the search function, just make sure you spell it right & you'll get several hits.
I used 'Greif markings' hope it helps.

All the best,

Darren..

Respond to this message   

(Login ilfil)
Missing-Lynx members

Pics

March 25 2012, 5:46 PM 

All you are right guys.
I just wanted to illustrate the worn out paint on the "Greif", the best and most informative pictures I've seen up to date are in the Bundesarchiv site.
Regretfully there is some problem with it here, I cannot comment is it in my PC or there is something wrong with the site but it refuses to work till now and all my attemtps were fruitless.
The best achievement was that the thumbnails appeared on my screen at least, but they still refuse to expand. BTW my browser is IE8.
Here are the results of the search for "Bir Hacheim" in the Bundesarchiv, give a try to those thumbnails. Probably you'll have more luck than me sad.gif
There are 4 pics of the "Greif" on the bottom of the page, all titled "Nordafrika, Rommel in Befehlsfahrzeug" (but the last is SdKfz 251):
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=bir+hacheim&prefix=File%3ABundesarchiv&fulltext=Search+all+Bundesarchiv+files&fulltext=Search&uselang=en
HTH and good luck with opening them!

Respond to this message   

(Login eskimoJoe)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Pics

March 25 2012, 10:29 PM 

Hi! Ilian,

The photos on that weblink you quoted opened fine here.

I use Firefox v11.0 in linux, and used a right-click + open in new tab (my favourite mode of looking at things in a list). Do you need the photos? I can copy them to somewhere else if you would like them.

Cheers,
Paul.

N.B. email address is a re-director to my real one. It's never used to send by me.
* Fidonet - 3:640/384 (IP: quinnspost.dyndns.org - binkP - news:60119)

Respond to this message   

(Login ilfil)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks, Paul!

March 26 2012, 2:06 AM 

I'm really thankful for your kind proposal but I have those pictures, thanks anyway!
I'm also thankful for your explanations, when it comes to PCs I'm almost full ignorant. But it is really strange, till now there weren't problems with Bundesarchiv site here.
I'm glad you have no problems, I'll dare to recommend you this place. Talking about German WW2 pictures it is really powerful resource. Hope you like it!
Cheers!

Respond to this message   

(Login HerrLyppe)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Question about Rommel's SdKfz 250 "Grief"

March 26 2012, 2:25 AM 

Interesting thread, but does it not bother anyone that the vehicle itself is wrong? Greif has the Z series superstructure and the Tamiya kit seems to be largely based on the E Series.
Not trying to wind anyone up, just wondering!

Allan

Respond to this message   
Ron van Wiggen
(Login Yeahwiggie)
Missing-Lynx members

I've looked at greif-pictures...

March 26 2012, 2:36 PM 

a lot and I think it might have been the other way around!
To me it almost looks as if the darker colour had been sprayed on AFTER the lighter colour has been applied. I think it might have been a RAL 7027 Grau, RAL 8000 Gelbbraun or maybe a RAL 7008 sprayed over a base of RAL 8020 sandgeld (sandyellow). The dark colour just is not dark enough to be grey, in my opinion, compared to the uniforms, for instance.

[linked image]

After that the markings were added and the vehicle shows a very heavy coat of caked on mud and dust, which becomes very light in colour. There are also signs of mud being smeared on deliberately.

Does anyone know when Rommel did receive his Greif?

Here's my halftrackforum:
http://halbketten.forumotion.com/index.htm

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Question about Rommel's SdKfz 250 "Grief"
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse