Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tiger hulls

May 19 2012 at 7:10 AM
Eddy Willems  (Login eddywillems)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 81.242.99.127

Hello,

The raw tiger hulls arriving in the Henchel factory would they be in primer or just steel?
The MIG tiger II hull would that be a raw one or already cleaned and machined?

This Tiger I hull is quite clean ( no rusty or greasy places I mean) while they are working and welding on it, did it receive a primer here already before welding?
[linked image]

Thanks

Eddy

This message has been edited by eddywillems from IP address 81.242.99.127 on May 19, 2012 7:16 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login DavidByrden)
Missing-Lynx members

It's in red primer.

May 19 2012, 8:37 AM 

The colours of the various parts are uniform.

David

Respond to this message   

(Login Sventheviking)
Missing-Lynx members

Are you sure?

May 19 2012, 1:20 PM 

To me this look much lighter than the red oxide.

Greets,
Sven

Respond to this message   

(Login DavidByrden)
Missing-Lynx members

Sure as I can be...

May 19 2012, 1:51 PM 

The weld of the front plate would appear a different colour to steel plate, and would have a high-gloss finish.
The cylindical opening for the MG was machined, and would have a reflection somewhere in it.
But they both appear to have the same matte finish as the rest of the hull.

Red primer is what German industry uses.

David

Respond to this message   
Eddy Willems
(Login eddywillems)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Sure as I can be...

May 19 2012, 2:14 PM 

Thanks David,

you are right about the MG opening, but the opening for the torsion bars are shiny so they are machined after the primer.
Did those hulls come from Krupp in red primer?

Eddy

Respond to this message   

(Login DavidByrden)
Missing-Lynx members

I simply don't know....

May 19 2012, 4:23 PM 

...the manufacturing sequence of the tank. But I do believe the hulls would be primed at an early stage, to prevent rust.
Drilling of the suspension holes would have to wait until the hull was loaded into the custom jig.

David

Respond to this message   

(Login justplanestuff)
Missing-Lynx members

Justa SWAG or two

May 19 2012, 8:59 PM 

We all know that it is difficult to tell colors from black and white photos. The red oxide primer looks light which could be caused somehow by the bright light of the welding.

I assume the openings for the torsion bars have some sort of precision toleranced bushings installed there. I would guess that they go to some effort to keep paint from getting on the machined surface so that could explain the shiny metal.

Another thing to consider is this picture is probably staged for the press. We may not be able to assume anything about manufacturing sequence from this picture for all we know they may have set a plate up in order to make sparks and arcs for the camera guy. Sure looks like he is welding on a tiger but why primer before you are done welding. Wonder what the life span is for a guy welding on a lead based painted surface day in and day out (I am pretty sure no one was really concerned about that stuff at the time).

Thanks

Dave Schemel

Improving my modeling one mistake at a time.

www.justplanestuff.net

Respond to this message   
Grant Hall
(Login vanhall)
Missing-Lynx members

Pre-primed at source.

May 19 2012, 9:48 PM 

I can't say for sure how the German steel production worked in the 1940's.
But I can't imagine the basics were that much different from I knew from the steel industry 20 years ago.
Steel plate was initially prime coated at foundry before it was issued, cut, burned or whatever.
The process was that the plate would be powdered when hot. The powder would harden in, and in a sense become a part of the finest outer layer of the plate, giving it that very dull matt red surface.
During fabrication; the cutting, welding, grinding etc, any exposed areas/ends would constantly be primed by hand/spray as production allowed.
It was this 'second level' of primer that I remember nobody wanted to do hot work on because of the fumes. The fumes/gases from the original surface prime coat was minimal.

Grant.

Respond to this message   
Eddy Willems
(Login eddywillems)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Tiger hulls

May 20 2012, 2:20 AM 

Thanks guys,
because the drilling out and cleaning from the torsion bar openings was the first step in the assembly line, we can be sure that the hulls arrived primed. Pictures of other tank production lines give the same clean look of the steel plate, so it is probably like Grant says: primed at the source.

Much appreciated

Eddy

Respond to this message   
Bruce
(Login gewehr42)
Missing-Lynx members

May 22 2012, 5:56 PM 

Really can't be primered if they are welding, they would need bare metal for proper welding cohesion....

Respond to this message   
Grant Hall
(Login vanhall)
Missing-Lynx members

May 22 2012, 8:26 PM 

You can arc weld directly on to the original prime surface without any problems. I used to it, daily.
If it's structural weld the edges would be prepped, clearing away any paint anyway.
Any non-structural welds; fixtures, clamps, mounts etc, could be welded down directly. Cleaning/grinding the surfaces would just cost unnecessary time. Any paint residue or other 'impurities' would just burn to the top anyway.

Grant.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Tiger hulls
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse