Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Update on Cyber Hobby "Carius" kit...

May 23 2012 at 6:33 AM
David Byrden  (Login DavidByrden)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 80.108.12.65

Some questions were answered by CH today. It seems the kit CH6763.jpg is very much dedicated to representing the Tiger "217" that Carius commanded at Malinovka. Those who want to convert it to some other Mid Tiger will need more than decals.

The only Zimmerit mantlet in the kit will be the Tiger (P) "flat" mantlet. This was very rare in late 1944 and "217" was therefore an unusual Tiger.

Furthermore, the only tracks in the kit will be the "flat" early type. The original tracks of "217" were replaced at some time in the summer of '44 and this is what it carried at Malinovka, as evidenced in this photo;

198.jpeg

This fact came to light only 2 days ago, thanks to research at TIIF.DE.

David

This message has been edited by DavidByrden from IP address 80.108.12.65 on May 23, 2012 9:18 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Nicholas Mayhew
(Login nmayhew)
Missing-Lynx members

thanks David, and a question...

May 23 2012, 2:40 PM 

i just read the research thread with a combination of interest, admiration and awe

amazing what you guys manage to pull together and present for the rest of us

one question: will the tank have zimmerit as if straight from the factory ie with none of the damage etc as evidenced in your thread? i guess even if DML wanted to do that (unlikely), it's too late now?

if so, would you be able to summarize any obvious areas where the zimm needs to be "chipped off"?

many thanks

Nick Mayhew

Respond to this message   
David Byrden
(Login DavidByrden)
Missing-Lynx members

Yes...

May 23 2012, 2:51 PM 

The kit will have an undamaged coat of new Zimmerit. I've seen the relevant parts.

The front upper plate seems to have about 80% of the Zimmerit missing; the Russians must have been hoping to hit the driver with MG fire. The mantlet appears almost undamaged. There are a few large patches knocked off the hull and turret sides; they can be seen in this photo;

198.jpeg

I'll mail you a large copy if needed.

David

This message has been edited by DavidByrden from IP address 80.108.12.65 on May 23, 2012 2:53 PM

Respond to this message   
Nicholas Mayhew
(Login nmayhew)
Missing-Lynx members

thanks David, email sent (and one more question)

May 23 2012, 2:58 PM 

re the MG fire - was this a common thing in your opinion? Also, would the vision block not negate any MG fire anyway?

cheers

Nick

Respond to this message   
David Byrden
(Login DavidByrden)
Missing-Lynx members

Actually

May 23 2012, 3:07 PM 

the photo is still up in the TIIF discussion of 217. I have a magazine that prints it; the quality is no better.

I've not studied patterns of Zimmerit damage. That could be interesting and time-consuming!

The Russians may not have known about the glass block within the vision port.

David

This message has been edited by DavidByrden from IP address 80.108.12.65 on May 23, 2012 4:24 PM

Respond to this message   

Gabriele Longoni
(Login gablet)
Missing-Lynx members

What puzzles me...

May 23 2012, 3:51 PM 

....About that TIIF discussion is that several times it is said that the whitewashed 217 picture was taken during 43/44 winter AND that it was Otto Carius tank.
We know Carius had 213 until it had to be abandoned and then destroyed after the famous "cupola shot" on April 20 '44. Then much probably he received a Mid Tiger numbered 217 and kept it until he was badly wounded on July 24 and his career as a Tiger commander ended.
So the whitewashed 217 picture must be taken during autumn/winter 44, when it was Carius Tiger no more.
Am I missing something? wink.gif

This message has been edited by gablet from IP address 78.15.106.117 on May 23, 2012 3:54 PM

Respond to this message   
David Byrden
(Login DavidByrden)
Missing-Lynx members

The tank's story...

May 23 2012, 4:10 PM 

it would have been received by the unit in January or February 1944 along with many other, very similar, Tigers. The whitewash and the small black digits are typical of the Narva campaign that followed. The lack of snow in this photo

198.jpeg

suggests it was taken in the spring of 1944, before the tank was repainted for the summer.

So, when Carius got the tank, it had already been used by another commander.

David

Respond to this message   

Gabriele Longoni
(Login gablet)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks David...

May 23 2012, 4:13 PM 

....That makes sense happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Gabriele Longoni
(Login gablet)
Missing-Lynx members

Pic

May 24 2012, 8:15 AM 

Hi David, just sent you a PM.

Respond to this message   
sergio laurenzano
(Login sdl1331)
Missing-Lynx members

many thanks!!!!

May 23 2012, 6:28 PM 

dear david, thank you for support with the tiger tank.
i ordered "mine" carius tiger to CH.-
thank you
sdl

Respond to this message   
David Byrden
(Login DavidByrden)
Missing-Lynx members

Camouflage

May 24 2012, 10:07 AM 

I've enhanced the contrast on these images of "217". This is as much as we know about its camouflage.

[linked image]

Unfortunately, the largest image has shadows of foliage on the tank.

David

Respond to this message   
sergio laurenzano
(Login sdl1331)
Missing-Lynx members

camo

May 24 2012, 3:22 PM 

dear david, many thanks for the pic.
as was described before, there are many parts of the tiger without zimm , but the paint cover the metal with the zimm missing too...and the side mudguard are in a non standard angle and the paint camo cover at below of mudguard too ...as if the tiger could be repainted not so long time ago....i guess so. could be fine if anyone could do a drawing with the portion of the tiger to clean of zimm.
tks
sdl

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse