Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

interior of binocular driver's vision device?

February 25 2013 at 6:16 AM
Andrew James  (Login JamesA2)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 86.29.105.239

I've noticed that a lot of early panzers and StuGs had two small holes drilled into the front plate for what would be a driver's vision device. Does anyone have any info or photos as to what's on the interior of these holes? I've had a look on David Byrden's site as I know the early Tiger I had these but couldn't find anything that showed this particular detail.

Any help gratefully received as this will be part of my current build, which is a StuIG 33B with scratchbuilt interior details to complement the CMK driver's compartment and nicely detailed gun that Dragon supplied.

Andy

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andrew James
(Login JamesA2)
Missing-Lynx members

Photo found. But is it complete?

February 26 2013, 5:39 AM 

Well I found a photo of a StuG III preserved in Norway and it has the two holes above the driver's vision block and there's a photo of the interior. However, it looks like two holes on the inside with nothing connected to them. Is this right or is something missing?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Robert Kru
(Login RobertKru)
Missing-Lynx members

you have access to Spielbergers book Sturmgeschütze

February 26 2013, 4:53 PM 

Hi Andrew
There are 2 pics of KFF 2 (Kraftfahrerfernrohr) + function drawings in Spielberger book. If you can wait some days I can help you or you can find it in your area.
this device was dropped shortly after Stug 3G production start so search for older stugs or early Tiger

Regards from Vienna
Robert

Visit our modelling show "Go Modelling" in Military Museum in Vienna at 9/10th march 2013
www.ipms.at

Respond to this message   
Andrew James
(Login JamesA2)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Robert

February 27 2013, 3:29 PM 

Very useful information and thank you for the email. I knew there was something missing and now I can add this detail to my StuIG 33B.

Alas I don't have the Spielberger book, is there anything in it on the StuIG?

Best regards

Andy

Respond to this message   
Robert Kru
(Login RobertKru)
Missing-Lynx members

sIG 33 inside pics

February 28 2013, 4:02 AM 

none in Spielberger
"Achtung Panzer #5" has some inside pics in color and troicas "Sturmtiger and Sturmpanzer.." has 3 BW pics.
Both books are to fragile for scanning. may be you can find pics online from Kubinkas sIG
Regards from Vienna
Robert

Visit our modelling show "Go Modelling" in Military Museum in Vienna at 9/10th march 2013
www.ipms.at

Respond to this message   
Andrew James
(Login JamesA2)
Missing-Lynx members

sIG interior pics

February 28 2013, 4:41 AM 

Once again I am indebted to you Robert for the information on references. I don't have Achtung Panzer #5 but I can get it from HLJ, however before I go ahead and order it, are the interior photos taken of the Kubinka example or are they on wartime examples? The reason I ask is that I don't think the Kubinka example is complete as there doesn't appear to be any ammunition storage. Now if there aren't any photos of this then I'll simply scratchbuild something based on the StuPa IV stowage but if I can base it on an example then that would of course be better.

Respond to this message   
Robert Kru
(Login RobertKru)
Missing-Lynx members

kubinka siG

February 28 2013, 4:58 AM 

gun breech, mg mount, backdoor, not more in achtung pz
rob

www.ipms.at

Respond to this message   
Andrew James
(Login JamesA2)
Missing-Lynx members

Guesswork it is then!

February 28 2013, 5:37 AM 

Thank you, you've saved me from spending £50+ on a reference. If I see it cheap enough in the future I'll pick it up but not just yet. So for this build, it looks like it's going to be logical deduction or just plain guesswork with the ammo storage :D

Respond to this message   
David Byrden
(Login DavidByrden)
Missing-Lynx members

This may help...

February 28 2013, 6:36 AM 

The Bovington Tiger has only the welded base plate;

[linked image]

The APG Tiger has - or had - the sliding holder;

[linked image]
[linked image]

This diagram shows the Kff2 installed in another type of Panzer. What's different, I do not know.

[linked image]

David

Respond to this message   
Andrew James
(Login JamesA2)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks David

February 28 2013, 7:30 AM 

The technical drawing is especially useful as I can use that to produce something that is a close approximation of the real thing.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse