Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Identify of Pz-IV's

May 29 2017 at 3:31 PM

Taras Baron  (Login babaez)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 128.199.167.194

Need help with identity of these Pz-IV's. To what unit they may be attached?

[img][linked image][/img]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Trevor Ware
(Login TrevorW88)
Missing-Lynx members

The building behind it

May 29 2017, 11:57 PM 

I am not sure of the unit of the Panzer IVs, probably either Wiking or Totenkopf but the building in the background has a 6fh Panzer division marking on it. Just above the leg of the reclined crewman on the drivers hatch.
Trevor

This message has been edited by TrevorW88 from IP address 58.165.92.2 on May 29, 2017 11:59 PM

Respond to this message   
Trevor Ware
(Login TrevorW88)
Missing-Lynx members

Das Reich?

May 30 2017, 10:27 PM 

I did a little more research. The 6th Panzer division and Das Reich were both in the LIX Army Corps, in early 1944. Given the state of the ground, I am speculating the photo is from or around the time of the Korsun-Cherkassy Pocket or the battle of Tarnopol.

I had originally discounted Das Reich due to the style of Turret numbering. I have seen photos of the 6th company's of Das Reichs, Panzer IVs, from the same time period and the style of sign writing of the numbers are very different.

Respond to this message   

Taras Baron
(Login babaez)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Das Reich?

May 31 2017, 2:17 PM 

DR, hmm, Interesting. But I think this is TK, although there is no evidence yet.

Respond to this message   
Keith Bickel
(Login fuggintall)
Missing-Lynx members

Hungary '44?

June 3 2017, 10:02 PM 

Good catch on the 6PD sign on the barn. It may be TK. I see a collar tab mark on the guy sitting on the gun barrel looks like a single central mark rather than the SS runes. Also in Trang's Totenkopf p.415 is a picture of #701 with very similar numbering & balkenkreuz location. The caption reads "...end of the year on 1944 in Hungary." I think 6PD was also in Hungary around that time, but unsure of their proximity to TK.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse