Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tiger II in colour

June 9 2017 at 7:14 PM
David Coyne  (Login dcoyne333)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 79.97.15.45

If this is colourized then it is a superb piece of work. I have never seen a B/W image of this photo has anyone else?
I think i found it on Tiger Tracks on Facebook awhile back. kind of forgot about it till now.

photo 13139003_1269720819724462_2148414796489641488_n.jpg

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
M. Gallagher
(Login mglgr)
Missing-Lynx members

s.SS-Pz.Abt. 501 "222" in Stavelot

June 10 2017, 2:49 AM 

Looks real to me but I'm not certain, If fake, someone has observed very carefully and taken a huge amount of time to put this together so well. Leaning towards real.
Manus

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

I have seen this pic before but never in

June 10 2017, 5:57 AM 

color. Probably photoshopped but very well done.
J

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

It certainly looks real - one thing to be careful about....

June 10 2017, 7:26 AM 

Many photos and movies that we have seen in B&W were originally shot in color. Many books didn't have the budget to print color photos, so they were copied in B&W. A lot of movie footage in WW2 was in color, but early TV - like "Victory at Sea" - was B&W, so the films were shown in B&W, and we assumed that's what they were. A good example is the explosion of the forward magazines on the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor, shot in color by a Navy officer, but often seen in B&W. If this Tiger II is colorized, the guy is Michaelangelo.....happy.gif One thing I find very interesting is that the RAL 7028 Dunkelgelb looks like the "ausgabe 1944" variant, which would be correct as one of the choices available at the factory, depending on supplies.

This message has been edited by baker24 from IP address 73.136.90.218 on Jun 10, 2017 7:31 AM

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

Looking at this photo, with the badly scratched paint surfaces....

June 10 2017, 7:41 AM 

if this was colorized, it had to be a pixel-by-pixel job. It must have taken him weeks to do it. I still lean toward real, largely for the difficulty of including all the defects in the paint and the incredible attention to minor color variations in all the details, on the tank, the ground, and the buildings behind. Real, or Michaelangelo. And, if it's that good, does it have value as a reference, even if it is colored?

Respond to this message   
Kevin Tong
(Login KevT)
Missing-Lynx members

amazing find!

June 10 2017, 8:51 AM 

I too think it has the look and feel of authenticity to it. Thanks for posting - I have added it to my collection of reference photos!

Respond to this message   
Andrew Tomlinson
(Login AndrewTomlinson)
Missing-Lynx members

Fab find...

June 10 2017, 9:29 AM 

Of note, are the now rusted steel wheel edges, the rusty colour of the spare track on the ground, broken sprocket,

Cheers
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Tom Cockle
(Login atcockle)
MODERATORS ONLY - Axis WWII

Two observations

June 10 2017, 9:31 AM 

Here are two observation that to me indicate it may be colonized.

The camouflage colours extend below the welds that fastened the front fender hinges.

I would think that there would have been damage to the paint caused by the spare track links hanging on the side of the turret.

Regards,

Tom

Respond to this message   
chris ballance
(Login chrisballance)
Missing-Lynx members

What about the turret numbers?

June 10 2017, 11:20 AM 

I was trying track down period photos of this wreck, and the numbers are faint, but...?
Anyway you can see the outline of the first "2" in the photo.

Respond to this message   
M. Gallagher
(Login mglgr)
Missing-Lynx members

Curiouser

June 10 2017, 11:30 AM 

Tom,
You make some good points. It's very hard to explain the oversprayed green and brown paint where the fender hinges would have been. These spots should appear as a primer color, or at least differ from the sprayed blotches around them. If the paint was applied after the fender and hinges were missing, we wouldn't see the hard demarcation where the fender was. This is very curious, might be the most sophisticated colorizing I've seen.
Manus

Respond to this message   
David Coyne
(Login dcoyne333)
Missing-Lynx members

Yes Tiger 222 it is

June 10 2017, 11:33 AM 

I have that feeling myself Tom that its just too good to be true. But Bruce's comment above about a lot of WWII photos being shot in colour but published in B/W is food for thought.
I had a look at the photos over on TIIF and that paint line over the front mud guard mountings is there in black and white as well. How that could have happened when the fenders plus the mountings were ripped off is hard to guess but it is real.

These are taken from TIIF and blown up a little. If you look at the debris surrounding the tracks and even the angle of the photo it is slightly different to the other photos on TIIF suggesting that it is a new found photo.

photo tiger222aa.jpg

photo tiger222bb.jpg

photo tiger222cc.jpg

photo tiger222dd.jpg

Here is the colour photo again this time converted into gray scale by myself.

photo tiger222ee.jpg

This message has been edited by dcoyne333 from IP address 79.97.15.45 on Jun 10, 2017 11:45 AM

Respond to this message   
Jack Geratic
(Login Jack123Ger)
Missing-Lynx members

few other b/w pics

June 10 2017, 11:44 AM 

as part of youtube vid at about 2:44 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWpPRxmqpjs

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

This is a tough one

June 10 2017, 5:17 PM 

Nothing stands out as an obvious recolor, except the overall high quality just seems too good to be true. What is the watermark on the photo? That may give some clue to its provenance. I've never seen it before (this particular version).

If it is a photo-shop job, someone spent an inordinate amount of time doing a very very good job on it.

Respond to this message   
Tom Morgan
(Login halbcl2)
Missing-Lynx members

The dark camo appears to extend beyond the hinge welds . . .

June 10 2017, 4:03 PM 

. . . even in the original film view . . . ?

Respond to this message   

Yann JOUAULT
(Login 101yann)
MODERATORS ONLY - French forum Moderators

Looks colourized to me

June 10 2017, 5:36 PM 

Besides the problem of having camo paint appearing under the fender hinges as raised by Tom, to me there seem to be too many inconsistencies when looking at other photos such as this one below - here are just a few :

photo col_bampw_comp_zpskh2yak43.jpg

YJ
101xxxyann@wanadoo.fr (delete xxx)

Respond to this message   
Allan Williams
(Login HerrLyppe)
Missing-Lynx members

I'm in the colourised camp

June 10 2017, 9:02 PM 

Colourised photos invariably lack the natural range and depth of colour that an actual colour photo captures. The background behind the mantlet look B&W and the large patch of camouflage to the left of the dark line (shadow from the headlamp lead that appears to be missing in some of the other photos) on the glacis appears to have been incorrectly interpreted along with where the fender hinges were.
There also seems to be a number of areas, like the right hand corner of the glacis, where they've interpreted wear as a different colour.
I guess if you spent enough time you could highlight any number of consistencies but I'm just treating it as a nice new photo of a KT that I didn't previously have.
Allan

This message has been edited by HerrLyppe from IP address 124.168.69.183 on Jun 10, 2017 9:05 PM

Respond to this message   
Jack Geratic
(Login Jack123Ger)
Missing-Lynx members

headlight cable area ...

June 11 2017, 3:36 AM 

... the artist missed the dark camou to the left. Well spotted, that clinches it for me, this is colourized in my opinion.

Respond to this message   

Yann Jouault
(Login 101yann)
MODERATORS ONLY - French forum Moderators

Comparison

June 11 2017, 5:25 AM 

This genuine b&w photo can also be used to make comparisons :

photo SS501_tiger_222_c_zpsdf37hfsf.jpg

It was obviously taken at a different time but coincidentally the hull is almost at the same angle while the turret is turned a little more to its right.

YJ
101xxxyann@wanadoo.fr (delete xxx)

Respond to this message   
Carlos Chagas
(Login Blazurgo3)
Missing-Lynx members

Area in black & white

June 10 2017, 7:41 PM 

If the photo was colorized, it seems the author forgot to apply color in the portion of the building that appears above and under the gun... Notice that this area is still in black and white!

I may be wrong, but something with the camouflage green does not seem right also. It should reflect a little of the blue of the sky, especially in the canyon and other details on the turret.

Even so, it is a very interesting image and was properly saved in my files.

Respond to this message   
Ara Hagopian
(Login Ara1)
Missing-Lynx members

Hello Carlos

June 12 2017, 6:54 AM 

Hello Carlos,

We exchanged emails on art in 2006, you shared your excellent Me 262B night fighter painting from long ago. I love that picture.

Regarding your Tiger II comment, what a great observation! Yes, the coloring artist seems to have forgotten the small areas you noticed!

Regards from US,

Ara.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse