Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

008 Sd.Kfz 268 modified to ersatz Sd.Kfz 267

June 10 2017 at 10:05 PM
Trevor Ware  (Login TrevorW88)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 58.165.92.2

Sorry,
This should have been a response to David Coyne's post, down lower on 008.

I have been reasearching this vehicle, and at this moment I believe that this is a Sd.kfz 268 "Flivo" that has had its Fug 7 sets replaced with FuG 8 sets. My problem at the moment is finding pictures of Sd.Kfz 268s to confirm this, as there were only 7 or 6 Befel Tigers IIs built to this specification, it might not be possible.

The thing that has lead me to this conclusion is that the Sternantenne D, in the video, does not appear to be centered in the rear of the deck, the pot for the antenna is missing and the other fittings missing, that David Coyne has noted. Those fittings are specific for the FuG 8 setup so would not be required for the FuG 7.

I have discounted that the three antenna Panzerbefehlswagen Tiger II are Sd.Kfz 268s but are Sd.Kfz 267 with FuG 7 sets installed additionally to the FuG 8 setup. It may have been a not uncommon field modification as photos of Panzerbefehlswagen with three antennas exist. One in particular changed my mind on these being a field modification is the Panzerbefehlswagen Tiger I Sd.Kfz 267 of the battalion commander of s.Pz.Abt 507, which had 4 radio sets installed with the resultant 4 antennas. Still I need to find more proof.

The next question is why. I have a couple of possible scenarios. s.SS.Pz.Abt 501 by most accounts received their full complement of Tiger IIs. This would have included the 3 Panzerbefehlswagen Tiger IIs , 2 x SdKfz 267 and 1 x Sd.Kfz 268. They were numbered 007 ( SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer Von Westerhagen) 008 (Adj SS-Untersturmfuhrer Kalinowsky) and 009 ( Supply Co. SS-Obersturmfuhrer Vogt) . I can't see why the Supply company commander would be given the Flivo, or a tank for that matter, so I am assuming that Kalinowsky was assigned the 268. It makes sense that the Adj would be the FAC anyway. Westerhagen's mount, 007, never left the depot, for an undisclosed reason. So this left them one command tank down. The best reason to undergo the modification, in my mind, is that it was more important to have contact with the the command net than the Luftwaffe. I have a couple of other ideas, but this is the most probable.

In hindsight it was not worth the effort as 008 was the second total loss for s.SS.Pz.Abt 501. It broke down on the 18th Dec and was deemed unrecoverable and destroyed by its crew.

I still have more work to do to on the specifics of the layout of the Sd.Kfz 268 Panzerbefehlswagen Tiger II to confirm my assumptions.
Trevor

This message has been edited by TrevorW88 from IP address 58.165.92.2 on Jun 10, 2017 10:08 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse