Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Munitionpanzer Panther

September 11 2017 at 6:10 PM

Theo Braat  (Login TheoBraat)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address

Hi guys,

I have a few questions regarding the Munitionspanzer Panther and hope that someone
can clear up a few things up for me.

I was led to believe that there were actual Munitionspanzer Panther, based (mostly)
on the Panther Ausf.A. I say mostly, as I think David Fletcher once mentioned to
me that -possibly- a few Panthers G were also built/used.

Regarding these vehicles, various sources/books have either mentioned or not mentioned
at all the existence of the Munitionspanzer Panther. I must admit that I didn't look
in Panzer Tracts as I didn't buy those particular volumes.

If the vehicles did exist, were any ammunition racks put into the vehicle to store
the 75mm ammunition, or was it a matter of simply stowing wooden or metal ammunition
boxes in the tank?

Many thanks in advance

Respond to this message   
Dean Howard
(Login fanta23)
Missing-Lynx members

September 11 2017, 7:58 PM 

I've come to the conclusion that these never existed. I believe it was the Seibert built bergepanthers in 1944/45 that caused all the confusion ie they don't look like bergepanther with the box on the superstructure they just look like turret less panther tanks so people just called them ammo carriers. You can add metal or wooden ammo crates to one of those, inside the fighting compartment is just a wooden floor.

Respond to this message   
Andrew deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

September 12 2017, 2:53 AM 

This message has been edited by deeley from IP address on Sep 13, 2017 2:54 AM

Respond to this message   

Theo Braat
(Login TheoBraat)
Missing-Lynx members

no Munitionpanzer Panther then

September 12 2017, 8:18 AM 

Dean, Andrew, thank you both for your insights

I must admit that I am not that surprised to hear that none were actually
As for references, my sources are a bit old which would explain things.
Chamberlain/Doyle's Encyclopedia (revised ed.) has a Munitionpanzer Panther mentioned in
the captions (426) with dealing with the Bergepanher, but do not mention anything
in the desciption regarding numbers etc.
I guess that they hadn't found anything either, other than rumours about the Munitionpanzer Panther.

Many thanks again

Respond to this message   
David Amos
(Login slug955)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: no Munitionpanzer Panther then

September 12 2017, 6:22 PM 

It's not beyond the bounds for a Berge Panther while not retrieving vehicles to be used for other tasks.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Your right

September 13 2017, 2:51 AM 

Sorry I over looked this completely.

Funny I didnt read anything in the text section or listings at the front

This message has been edited by deeley from IP address on Sep 13, 2017 2:53 AM

Respond to this message   
Mario Raspagliosi
(Login raspagliosi)
Missing-Lynx members

September 12 2017, 9:21 AM 

Hi Theo,
I fully agree to that written by Dean and Andrew: no reliable and update source ever quoted Munitionpanzer Panther.
About the use at the front of
a) damaged Panther without the turret (of which anyway I know no photo or writtend document) or
b) Bergepathers (expecially the early ones without specific recovery equipment like the wooden superstructure, the winch and hte rear spade)
it seems possible that they were sometimes used as munition supply vehicles, without any specific modification like ammo racks (even in this case I don't know any photo or written document demostrating this use); instead written sources often reports German troubles and complaints for recovering heavy tanks, so most probably a valualbe armoured recovery vehicle would be used just for this job!

Just my two cents opinion

Mario Raspagliosi

Respond to this message   
Branislav Juhász
(Login BranoJuhasz)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Munitionpanzer Panther

September 12 2017, 2:40 PM 

Two Munitionsschlepper Panther in list of this source:

Thomas L. Jentz, Hillary Louis Doyle - Panzer Tracts No.23 - Panzer Production from 1933 to 1945

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Yes but

September 13 2017, 2:48 AM 

Yes it lists 2 Mun Schlepper in the conversion section. However it does not list them as munition schlepper only ' Mun schlepper'. All other carriers it lists by their full name. So does 'mun' stand for munition? I know it's seems obvious but it is curious that J/F did not give it its full name like in the other listings.

Not trying to split hairs just apply what J/D write in their PT books. Never assume with German tanks !

Also apart from one photo meantiinef above I can't find any other mention of this vehicle is Spelilberg or other books.

Of course time moves on and new info found.

Thanks for posting as I forgot about the conversion table st the back of PT 23

This message has been edited by deeley from IP address on Sep 13, 2017 2:54 AM

Respond to this message   
Robert Lockie
(Login RobertLockie)
Missing-Lynx members

Maybe that's how they were described in the original doc seen

September 13 2017, 2:42 PM 

Transforming 'Mun' into 'Munition' based on guesswork isn't necessarily the way to go if you don't want to mislead people.
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse