Home > Discussion Groups > Axis

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

October 1 2017 at 7:13 PM
Eddy Willems  (Login eddywillems)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address

can anyone tell me what medal this soldier is wearing?

Respond to this message   
Tom Cockle
(Login atcockle)

Re: Medal?

October 1 2017, 8:27 PM 

Iron Cross First Class pinned to his chest. The ribbon in his lapel looks like the Iron Cross Second Class.

Respond to this message   
Steve Choi
(Login sprava)
Missing-Lynx members

EK 2 ?

October 2 2017, 12:30 AM 

Iron Cross 2nd Class with ribbon?

Respond to this message   
Joseph R. Zrodlowski
(Login SfanGoch)
Missing-Lynx members

The Iron Cross 1st Class

October 2 2017, 10:17 AM 

is a higher award, superseding the 2nd Class. A ribbon and medal for the EK 2 wouldn't be worn simultaneously. The 2nd Class medal would be represented by a ribbon if the soldier was later awarded the EK 1st Class.

Respond to this message   
Rick Opich
(Login RickOpich)
Missing-Lynx members

Iron Cross 2nd class ribbon

October 2 2017, 10:51 AM 

From what I understand, the medal for the Iron Cross 2nd class was rarely worn on the uniform. it was customary to wear the ribbon for the second class Iron Cross in the second button hole of the jacket. I have read (unconfirmed) that the ribbon and medal for the Iron Cross second was only worn on the day the medal was presented; after that only the ribbon was worn.

Respond to this message   
Eddy Willems
(Login eddywillems)
Missing-Lynx members

October 2 2017, 12:53 PM 

thanks for your answers.
I don't think it is a EK 1st class for the unusual place it would be.
My 1 thought was a 2nd class still attached to the ribbon, but the cross itself has a different shape, the horizontal, white or metal colored part goes through the middle and the sides are going down to far, iy looks like the horizontal part have side parts like a swastika but here the parts are both going down.
The ribbon of EK 2 class has a red band in the middle and black on the outside, here it looks black and then white and red ? on the sides.
The picture is taken early war, probably in France 1940.
The ribbon looks more like on the war merit cross.

Respond to this message   
Ron Hetherington
(Login veezerboy)
Missing-Lynx members

I would go 1st Class..........

October 3 2017, 2:44 PM 

The EK is not centered on the ribbon to be EKII. There are pictures of both being worn for those that like to show off all their tinnies!!

Respond to this message   
hans westerkamp
(Login Peiper1944)
Missing-Lynx members

October 4 2017, 4:46 AM 

this soldier is wearing a panzerjacket. the lapel with the Iron cross second class ribbon

is therefore above the Iron cross first class medal he is wearing on his left breast. so it

appears to be connected with the medal. it isn`t. the way the ribbon is slanted is typical when

worn on a panzerjacket-lapel

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse