Home > Discussion Groups > Allied

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47208&messageid=1113823018

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

Return to Index  

12 RTR and 145 RAC in the Gothic Line campaign 1944

January 26 2012 at 11:20 PM
mp robinson  (Login m1e2r3l4i5n6)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 64.229.28.121

I am researching the Gothic Line battles and the advance to Rimini by 1st Canadian Corps and 21st Tank Brigade. While many of the Canadian units are quite well served in terms of online sources (NAC and CMHQ documents), the picture is not quite complete without the 21st Tank Brigade unit histories. I have located several of the National Archive (Kew) files pertaining to these British armoured units (and 48th RTR... but they at least have a pretty good and fairly recent unit history in Peter Gudgin's "With Churchills to War"), and there is almost nothing in print on 12th RTR beyond Liddell-Hart's "The Tanks" Vol2...and some of the available documentation on 145 RAC is incomplete. In particular I am looking for the 145th RAC's Battle Report for Aug 23- Sept 2nd 1944. Does anyone know if this, or the objective codename list for the various stages of the battle, the A Sqn and B Sqn 145 RAC Battle Diaries or any of the original maps for 1st Canadian Corps front are in Kew's collections? If anyone has any of the above willing to share (or of war diaries excerpt of the 1st Canadian Infantry Div or 5th Canadian Armoured Division units for the same period, scans are fine) I will quite happily trade a copy of the 145 RAC C Sqn Battle Diary for Aug 25-Sept 23rd 1944 in reply. As I live in Canada, it is only a matter of time before I collect the various available primary sources for Canadian units involved, but the UK stuff is much harder to collect!
Any takers please email me leifyATsympatico.ca (replace AT with @)

Regards

Merlin Robinson

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Tank Museum? - Mark Mackenzie on Jan 27, 2012, 6:37 AM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse