Home > Discussion Groups > Allied

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47208&messageid=1113823018

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

Return to Index  

Combination Formation -AOS

March 23 2012 at 6:05 PM
  (Login Albowie)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 123.243.206.243

Response to Significance of 52 and 91 on the plates

COmbinations of the Aos and Formations were common late in the Desert War and seen on 23 AB tanks and others.
The Aos corresponds to the unit or its position in the formation e.g in an Armd Regt the following numbers were used from 43 onwards in almost all Commonwealth Armoured Formations and they were usually on Red but the HQ frequently on Black
50 HQ Armd Regt
51 Senior Armd regt
52 2nd Senior Armd Regt
53 Junior Armd Regt

I don't have my ref handy for the 91 but i am sure someone will chime in

The Silver Fern on Black was the NZ Div (Formation) insignia and worn on most of their vehicles. Later in Italy you see the Aos seperate from the Formation badge and on opposite sides of the hull which was the text book application. Many units had unique layouts of these and Tactical Markings which makes them easier to identify formations etc.

Cheers
Al

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Thank you - Grant Matsuoka on Mar 23, 10:17 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse