Home > Discussion Groups > Allied

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47208&messageid=1113823018

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Use of air recognition panels on British/Commonwealth Cromwells?

August 15 2005 at 5:52 PM
  (Login GrantVogl)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 24.114.156.94

Was this common or not? Did the Poles use air recognition panels on their Shermans and Cromwells? Any photos?

Thanks-
Grant

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login MartinDogger)
Missing-Lynx members

Air ID panels

August 15 2005, 7:03 PM 

as far as I know, the British and Commonwealth hasd acces to them, but didn't use them very often.
There were several ways for airmen to ID allied vehicles,and these included the panels, yellow smoke, and yellow triangle shaped panels. The latter were only used by British or Commonwealth troops, so these would seem a plausible option.

Cheers, MartinD

Respond to this message   

(Login Albowie)
Missing-Lynx members

Not doctrine

August 16 2005, 1:58 AM 

The Circled White star on the vehicle turret roof was the official Air ID at the time (Normandy) and the Brits eventually followed the US practice as more stocks of ID panels became avail; apparently not till late 44 and then not widespread.
Cheers
Al

Respond to this message   

(Login MichaelMBarnett)
Missing-Lynx members

An Example

August 16 2005, 12:30 PM 

In Bill Bellamy's new memoir: "Troop Leader: A Tank Commander's Story" he mentions using their "red air identification strip" which he laid across the front of his Cromwell "to warn the Typhoon pilots that we were friendly" just after 'Operation Goodwood' (pg. 80). He also mentions using 'yellow smoke' as I recall, in another situation in Normandy, with less effectiveness, as they were strafed anyway. Bellamy was a troop leader with the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars.
On pg. 89 in "The Black Bull" by P. Delaforce it mentions "the Fife and Forfar Shermans at Pavee" [France] using "orange phosphorescent panels displayed on the top" of their tanks to let American Thunderbolts know they were Allies along with "yellow smoke emitted by special smoke generators." This was on August 4, 1944 during 'Operation Bluecoat.' This effort did little good as they were bombed anyway.
Couldn't locate any photos but I'm inclined to think they would exist somewhere (didn't take the time to peruse the Concord bks. on British tanks in NW Europe, or maybe one of the old Osprey/Vanguards?). Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I could point you in the right direction!
HTHs -Mike

Respond to this message   

(Login GrantVogl)
Missing-Lynx members

thanks. n/t

August 17 2005, 7:01 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login MartinDogger)
Missing-Lynx members

RE: An Example

August 19 2005, 7:44 PM 

AFAIK, there are no photos of air ID panels in the Concord books, thought I must say I havent looked for that really. I do have both books, so if needed, I can get them out.

Cheers, MartinD

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Use of air recognition panels on British/Commonwealth Cromwells?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse