Home > Discussion Groups > Allied

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47208&messageid=1113823018

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

BEF Universal Carrier

April 9 2006 at 10:30 PM
Fabrício Menardi  (Login fmenardi)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 200.218.227.88

Could you tell me if the FEB used Universal Carrier Mk I in France (1940)?

Thank in advance,

Fabrício

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MOORE George
(Login mudeng)
Missing-Lynx members

BEF carriers

April 10 2006, 6:36 AM 

To my knowledge, the Universal carrier was introduced after Dunkirk, (a) to make up for losses, (b) as a cost saving/production method of combining the Scout Carrier and "Bren Carrier", which were identical in every aspect except the rear body. The Bren had sloped panels on one side, and was open on the side behind the driver. The Scout was reversed, but the rear panel was horizontal.
I enclose a couple of shots of conversions I made to the Tamiya 1/35th kit.
In my opinion, a picture paints a thousand words.

BTW I am still trying to find out how the rear panel was shaped, as very few photos exist of the scout carrier showing this detail. I have been through the resources at Bovington, and turned up very little on the scout.
One other major difference, the Scout was fitted for radio and attached to armoured formations, the bren was attached to infantry formations.
The Scout had wire mesh over the exposed rear of the engine to suppress radio interference from the engine.

Hope this helps.

George.

Respond to this message   
Bob Gregory
(Login bob42100d)

Conversion

April 10 2006, 9:51 AM 

Nice job on the conversion, any thoughts on making an article on this?

If I remember correct, AFV News has 1:35th drawings of the Bren Carrier if you want to check angles. Scout and Bren Carrier information is rare indeed.

Looking forward to see any other Carrier conversions you may have done.

Respond to this message   
Carlos Cafe
(Login CarlosCafe)
Missing-Lynx members

some images

April 10 2006, 8:33 PM 

I was planning a diorama depicting a Univ. Carrier MKI around Dunkirk, 1940. I´m a little frustrating in knowing about that. I will have to change my plans.
Do you know wich woud be the typical little troop transport for the BEF?
Where did you get detailed information about this beautiful conversion you did?

I got some images that may be interesting of some Bren No 2 Mk I Carriers in New Zealand.

Thanks in advance
Carlos

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse