Home > Discussion Groups > Allied

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47208&messageid=1113823018

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Allied Zimmerit??

June 9 2012 at 10:45 PM
Juan Manuel  (Login JuanManuel2010)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 200.127.93.179

Hey guys, Allied vehicles are not my speciality, but seeing this video on 11:00 appears a British tank with a coating on its turret much similar to the anti magnetic German paste.

Could someone tell me about this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rErmsHMe614&feature=related

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Juan Manuel
from Banfield city...

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
R Barry
(Login hobgrot)
Missing-Lynx members

sure is Zimmeritt ! ....

June 9 2012, 11:25 PM 

wonder why they did it ? Certainly not recaptured back from the germans.

Respond to this message   
Juan Manuel
(Login JuanManuel2010)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: sure is Zimmeritt ! ....

June 9 2012, 11:44 PM 

Hi Barry! Once I read that British intelligence was very busy trying to know what exactly Zimmerit was made off and what kind of improvement gave on German tanks. But what I really didn´t know was that they put something similiar on their AFV´s. It´s something new for me, but remember knowledge about Allied vehicles are not my strong point.
If I´m no wrong I think that I have a Cromwell tank in 1/35....may be it would be an interesting topic to reproduce....

Thanks for you response.

Regards,

Juan Manuel
form Banfield city...

Respond to this message   
Juan Manuel
(Login JuanManuel2010)
Missing-Lynx members

More info about British Zimmerit....

June 10 2012, 12:04 AM 

I found this document in the web:

from PORTRAYAL PRESS, page 48.
by Jeffrey D. McKaughan
British "Zimmerit"
It is widely known ofthe Gennan practice ofapplying a paste-like substance to the lower surfaces of annor veWcles during the mid-stages ofWWII. TWs in response to the use ofmagnetic mines by infantIy and partisans who would wait in Wding to attach one of the mines to the lower sides of a tank.. Called zimmerit, this paste was applied roughly to the lower surfaces. Different patternswere thenapplied so thatthere were no smooth surfaces for a mine to grip.
However, according to a report, anti-magnetic plastic was tested by the British in the European Theater on vehicles at the 256 Armoured Delivery Squadronon 14 April 1945. The report does not clearly indicate iftWs was the first time the experiments were conducted by this unit or others like it.
The material used was described as a "plastic" that is kept loose with an industrial alcohol. It was noted that because of damage to the containers that held the plastic, considerable evaporation had taken place. To make the plastic workable again, varying amounts of alcohol were added by the maintenance staff of the 256th.
The material was to be sprayed on but it was found locally that application by trowel was also effective, ifnot more so. It was noted that the fumes from the plastic were difficult to work around even if the vehicle was out in the open.
The plastic was applied to four veWcles for evaluation purposes. These included a Cromwell, Churchill, Ram Sexton. and the gun shield ofa 25-pdr.
The Cromwell was the first vehicle tried and it took 80 man hours and two days to apply the plastic. Because it was the first, subsequent veWcles took proportionally less time and material.
Several mixtures were tried, including mixing wood wool with the top coat. The result was a finish that was far too smooth even afterstipplingwith fingers. It was also determined that if too much alcohol was used in with the plastic it resulted in a very glossy surface and had a tendency to crack. By far the best mixture was with chopped straw added to the plastic.
The 256th tried to duplicate a ridged-pattern to the plastic, similar to a pattern used by the Gennans. Using a wooden roller to create the ridges, it proved exceedingly difficult as the consistency ofthe plastic seemed too critical for proper application. The results did not warrant the effort.
There was no follow on report attached and no indication of a final conclusion by the 256th. however, one can assume that by this late stage of the war that the threatwas not deemed very high and not requiring further action.

Respond to this message   
Martin Dogger
(Login MartinDogger)
Missing-Lynx members

Not really Zimmerit,

June 10 2012, 3:51 AM 

and not sprayed on.
This was an attempt using rubber strips as a countermeasure against hollow charges.
I don't recall the unit (11th AD?), but there was an article in Military Modelling a few years back. Bison Decals has a set of markings for Centaur and Cromwell in 1/35, including the 'zimmed' Cromwells. And there's coverage in the book published by Oliver Publishing Group.
http://www.oliverpublishinggroup.com/cromwell_sample_page.htm

Hope this helps,

MartinD

Respond to this message   
simon king
(Login sbking)
Missing-Lynx members

Cromwell Zimmerit

June 10 2012, 7:42 AM 

That doesn't look like rubber strips to me - looks as if it has been applied directly to the turret shell

Isn't there a picture in one of the Warpaint books of a British Sherman half covered in British Zimmerit

sk

Respond to this message   
Michael Kenny
(Login march5)
Missing-Lynx members

Not zimm.............

June 10 2012, 9:09 AM 

[linked image]
[linked image]

IWM B9098

August 1944

[linked image]

C squadron 2nd Northants Yeomanry, 11th Armoured Division

Respond to this message   
simon king
(Login sbking)
Missing-Lynx members

cromwell

June 10 2012, 3:07 PM 

So is the Cromwell from the screen grab/youtube clip covered in the same product as in the bottom picture which is how I always thought tanks covered in this material looked - hence my comment. If that's the case, was the first tank covered in complete sheets of the stuff - and perhaps the bottom tank was just covered in off-cuts - certainly the application is very different

sk

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

French Shermans

June 10 2012, 12:01 PM 

You can even buy a resin hull for it - was an experiement/test

http://www.hlj.com/product/NEG35033

Respond to this message   
Sam Wren
(Login SamWren)
Missing-Lynx members

Anti-Magnetic Compound No. 2 report

June 10 2012, 7:07 PM 

There is a report of Anti-Magnetic Compound No. 2 being tested by 1st Canadian Army as a form of camouflage in "21 Army Group AFV Technical Report # 26, Amended". Some of the test patterns resemble zimmerit:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Sam Wren
Abilene, TX

"My cat may be able to telepathically control my mind, but he will never be able to play the piano." - unknown

Respond to this message   
Ken Holland
(Login DutchyHolland)
Missing-Lynx members

MilMod article

June 12 2012, 7:25 AM 

If anyone's got Military Modelling Vol 29 #11 from 1999 there was an article on this very subject.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse