Home > Discussion Groups > Allied

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47208&messageid=1113823018

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

8 RTR in Operation Crusader - markings?

June 23 2012 at 12:42 PM
  (Login Chris1434)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 109.148.87.150

I'm trying to get a complete set of markings for an early Valentine in 8 RTR during Operation Crusader. The stripes, of course, the company/squadron markings and vehicle number.

But what about the Unit markings? Regiment? Brigade?

And the Arm of Service marking for 8 RTR?

I've tried the internet, and trawled through my library, but nothing really helps.

Any advice would be very welcome,

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
MAFVA Information Officer
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login DutchyHolland)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: 8 RTR in Operation Crusader - markings?

June 23 2012, 5:53 PM 

Hi Chris,
8RTR were with 1 Army Tank Brigade at the time along with 42RTR and 44RTR.
The brigade had a red diablo as it's formation sign.
Bellis's suggested AoS's for the brigade in N Africa 1941 is 171-174 on red which I suppose makes 8RTR as 172.

HTH,
Ken

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris1434)
Missing-Lynx members

Ah, yes.

June 23 2012, 6:31 PM 

That is helpful. I didn't know the seniority of the regiments in the brigade, so which one would be allocated AoS numbers in the series.

However, I think it might be different.... I just now found in Hodges and Taylor's book that 1st Army Tank Brigade had, in the Crusader period:
HQ 71
8RTR 40
42RTR 86
44RTR 67

all in white on red.

The information about the red diabolo is new to me - thanks for this information.

Best regards,

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Ken Holland
(Login DutchyHolland)
Missing-Lynx members

Hmm..

June 24 2012, 6:35 AM 

I thought that numbering system rather applied to an Armoured Brigade at the time more than an Army Tank Brigade?

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris1434)
Missing-Lynx members

Only quoting from the book....

June 24 2012, 10:17 AM 

According to the book British Military Markings, 1939-1945, I quote:

"1 Army Tank Brigade is listed as HQ, 8, 42 and 44RTR with serials 71, 40, 86 and 67 on Red. It will be noted that the serials and colours are those listed in the GHQ MEF letter of 21 September 1941 for the senior infantry and armoured brigades in infantry and armoured divisions." This refers to archive material dated December 1941. (Hodges and Taylor 1971, revised 1994)

I don't know whether there had been an error at the time, using Armoured Brigade numbering for the Tank Brigade.

I'd just love for someone to come up with a photo of 8 RTR (or indeed 42 or 44), showing the codes. It is possible that the codes were never painted on the vehicles.

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login wormell)
Missing-Lynx members

Platz

June 24 2012, 8:55 AM 

The Platz book has the following to say regarding 8 R/T/R @ 19/11/41.

172 on red square.
No Sqd markings displayed.

Make what you will of that!

Best wishes, David.

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris1434)
Missing-Lynx members

Platz book?

June 24 2012, 10:21 AM 

Hi David,

Thanks for that. Do you have the title for the Platz book?

No squadron markings?? Interesting....

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login DutchyHolland)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Platz book?

June 24 2012, 12:31 PM 

Just to add further confusion to the mix...

There's a photo of an 8RTR Valentine on Op Crusader with the white-red-white markings clearly showing the B Sqn square with a 9 inside on page 100 of Dick Taylor's Into The Vally. Unfortunately no other markings are showing.

Respond to this message   

(Login Erik_Ahlstroem)
Missing-Lynx members

Platz

June 24 2012, 3:07 PM 

I think he is refering to Platz book "Desert Tracks", an excellent littyle book with nice coulorchips in.
other than this I only know of his articles in AFV-G2, fex "Marking British Vehicles, a guide for serious modellers".
Wonder what happened to hem btw, anyone knows?

Desert-Erik
Sweden

CU@C4

www.c4-open.se

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris1434)
Missing-Lynx members

What a mix!

June 24 2012, 3:58 PM 

Yes, that photo is Harry II I think. In Bryan Parrett's superb book 'The Valentine in North Africa' there is a photo showing a vehicle with no Squadron markings, but several vehicles in the shot have their turret stripes in different positions. Clearly not a lot of uniformity, as they try to get the Valentines into action....

This book has pictures showing AoS '40', which confirms the information that this was the number grouping being used - but the photos are identified as 40 RTR, while the 40 AoS is supposed to be 8 RTR. Confusing!

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login DutchyHolland)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: What a mix!

June 24 2012, 6:47 PM 

If it is a 40RTR tank then AoS 40 would be correct as they were the senior regiment in 23 Armd Bde alongside 46RTR and 50RTR Chris. 23 Armd Bde would have used that style of AoS numbering.

Regarding your reference to the GHQ MEF letter of 21 September 1941, I have a scan of that courtesy of Shane Lovell here and while it does show the AoS's 40, 86 and 67 it also states that they were for the Three Armd Regts in the Senior Armd Bde in an Armoured Division.
No mention of independant Army Tank Brigades at all so I'm still tending towards 1 Army Tank Bde having used the 171-174 series suggested by Bellis and the Platz book David mentioned.

I've got Perret's Valentines book somewhere so I'll have a look through for identifiable pics when I get a chance.

Cheers,
Ken

Edit - the only non 23 Armd Bde tank I could spot was HAL II mentioned earlier - in Caunter with no Sqn tac signs. Makes perfect sense as the book is about 23 Armd Bde after all. wink.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login wormell)
Missing-Lynx members

Platz

June 25 2012, 7:00 PM 

Yes the Platz book I quoted from is indeed Desert Tracks.

(Mods, I'm still not getting any notifications, can you help?)

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 8 RTR in Operation Crusader - markings?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse