Home > Discussion Groups > Allied

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47208&messageid=1113823018

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Opinions on accurate armor Sherman tracks?

July 16 2012 at 11:19 PM
Aaron Smischney  (Login atxranchhand)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 166.147.123.156

Just wanted to see if anyone has an opinion on accurate armies Sherman tracks, if they are recommended or not...
Any gotchas etc.
Thanks!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ian Scott
(Login IanScott)
Missing-Lynx members

Hmm, experience a bit mixed...

July 17 2012, 2:08 AM 

I got a nice set of double I track, but a set of T64s that I got at the same time, were not so good. Some of the track lengths were warped with a lot of flash. These have remained in the bag!

Detail wise there are better options e.g. Panda Plastics, AFV Club, MK for indy links, and for traditional band tracks you have Dragon DS, and Tasca sell a variety of sherman band tracks now!

ian

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

dated method of doing Sherman tracks

July 17 2012, 11:50 AM 

I have some of the AA tracks for the Sherman, AMX-13, Crusader, T-34 and Elefant. They are "okay" but rather "old school" in detail and design. You get a bunch of strips of resin tracks that you have to heat with a hair dryer or in boiling water to soften them up so they can be bent to conform to the kit suspension. Detail is okay but nothing special. i'd say they are about like a set of Italeri vinyl tracks. Some sets are pretty cleanly cast but some have a lot of flash to be cleaned up. For tracks with a wide pitch to the link you have the same problem as vinyl tracks where the links themselves curve around the drive and idler wheels rather than having flat links that articulate between each link like a real track.

For tanks where you can get other options, I probably would not use the AA tracks. With the Sherman in particular you can get great band tracks from Dragon in their DS series, AFV Club, Panda and Bronco offer plastic sets. You have the usual standbys from Friul and Model Kasten, etc.

Respond to this message   
Aaron Smischney
(Login atxranchhand)
Missing-Lynx members

thanks for the info guys! <eom>

July 17 2012, 12:12 PM 

Respond to this message   
David DaSilva
(Login Totalize)
Missing-Lynx members

Not easy to work with

July 17 2012, 3:26 PM 

The resin tracks come in straight sections and have to be put in boiling water and formed around the final drive, idler and bogies. Once out of the boiling water they cool quickly making it more difficult to form them around the running gear without snapping them. After a few attempts I was able to get them on and glue them with CA glue. They looked pretty good once on and they are faster than assembling individual links. I have since switched to the DS tracks or Tasca tracks for my Sherman builds.

http://www.totalwarinscale.blogspot.com/
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse