Home > Discussion Groups > Allied

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47208&messageid=1113823018

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

For all you LRDG Chevy fans......

July 17 2012 at 10:10 PM
  (Login ShaneGowan)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 125.239.110.97

I have just seen pictures of the new, soon to be released images of new wheels for the aging Tamiya LRDG Chevy....from DEF Model. They are sagged (weighted) too, which makes a difference from the existing wheels as far as I know.
I have the Mouse House set, and am happy with them, but the DEF Model look very well done too. Another option to consider!!
I am not connected with DEF Model, just a satisfied customer.
Shane.

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to help anyone.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login miranf)
Missing-Lynx members

LRDG Tires

July 18 2012, 3:08 PM 

Another nice set of tires for the Tamiya kit, thanks for the heads up.

Respond to this message   

(Login danrosecrans)
Missing-Lynx members

Not many radial tires.........

July 18 2012, 4:22 PM 

around in WW2. No sag on the tires of a LRDG truck,for the most part. Maybe if they let out some air for traction,but it was a chore to put it back in. Same thing happened,in reverse,with the DML halftrack. They sagged the tires and I think people said they were wrong.....Dan

Respond to this message   

(Login miranf)
Missing-Lynx members

LRDG and Tire Sag

July 18 2012, 5:30 PM 

If any WW 2 vehicles would show tire sag it would be the LRDG. These trucks were rated at 1.5 tons and were often loaded well beyond this. The 1533X2 Chevrolets were ordered with air compressors and on patrol it would not be uncommon to adjust the tire pressure many times in a day. The LRDG would adjust tire pressure acording ti the load, temperature and driving conditions. Their main objective was to prevent blow outs so as not to use up all their spares and strand themselfs.

Respond to this message   

(Login danrosecrans)
Missing-Lynx members

I was speaking from.............

July 18 2012, 6:52 PM 

reference pictures,Miran. Of course you can use any tires you want to. I just know that you don't need sagged tires..........Dan

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login ShaneGowan)
Missing-Lynx members

Then the DEF ones will work, going with your pic's....

July 18 2012, 8:56 PM 

Dan, did you look at the tyres? http://defmodel.com/

The DEF tyres will work, as they are not really sagged, but exhibit a subtle flat spot at the contact patch, very little bulge at all and all tyres do that.
Going by your pics, the tyres on all the trucks shown in your pictures have a slight "flat spot" at the contact patch, which all tyres do, also, you can see the "bulge" is minimal, next to no-existant, and that is exactly what the DEF tyres depict, a small flattened contact patch, but very little bulge.
To be honest, "Sagged" is probably too strong a term, I would call it "flat spotted" or slightly weighted, for a true description.

Yup, Dragon got it wrong on the half track, they bulged the tyre, but all the DEF tyres I have are very subtle in the "sagging" some times I wish it was more pronounced!!
Cool photo's too Dan, very helpful.
Shane

Respond to this message   

(Login miranf)
Missing-Lynx members

Photo

July 19 2012, 11:12 AM 

I still haven't learned how to post photos but if interested e-mail me for a photo of a LRDG truck with exactly the same flat spot as the DEF tires

Respond to this message   

(Login danrosecrans)
Missing-Lynx members

OK,ya'll.......

July 19 2012, 10:48 PM 

I know that tires were run half-flat and everywhere in between,all the way to 'pumped up'. I put up the pictures to show a few guys,who may have bought the earlier set,that they didn't need to spring for another set;especially if they couldn't really afford it. The set that they have will suffice,so to speak.There is nothing wrong with the DEF tires;all tires have a flat spot on the ground. Radial tires sag when properly inflated;bias tires do not. you can create a flat spot with just a little sanding. As Shane said,sagged and a flat spot are two different things......Dan

Respond to this message   

(Login ShaneGowan)
Missing-Lynx members

Agreed, until.....

July 20 2012, 1:56 AM 

I agree Dan....
Radial tyres sag, yup they do, but when you say correctly inflated bias tyres don't, sorry, but they do too, you are right though, correctly inflated, side wall distortion is minimal compared to a modern radial, but it is there. Ironically, the modern radial side wall bulge is due to construction methods, to soften the side wall to give a softer ride...like a bias tyre did!!
I used to sell tyres, so I know the differences. I also relied on the sag in bias ply tyres when we did 4x4 off roading.
It is when you start to deflate tyres things get interesting.
I'll explain if I can...
The construction of a radial actually makes it stiffer, and less likely to deflect and distort, hence it keeps it's shape better, and actually lasts longer, new construction materials help here too. This is why modern sports cars and motorcycls run them, if the bias ply was stiffer, then they would have stayed with those.
A bias tyre, especially one of that age deformed more, as the belts used were canvas, not the modern kevlar or wire we use now, and the construction method actually contributes to the way the tyre deforms. This results in a softer side wall and tread area, allowing the tyre to deform more, creating a softer ride, and a bigger foot print. To over come this issue, the tyres ran a higher pressure. Also, remember blow outs were more common, as were punctures too, due to a softer tyre carcass.
An example:
My 4x4 had radials fitted to it, at 15 psi they showed hardly any deformation, reducing traction off road. The 4x4 weighs 2.27ton. I went looking for bias or cross ply tyres, and found a great set, at 15psi, they "bag out" nicely, and look darn near flat too, allowing the side mud lugs to work better. I got far better traction with the bias ply than radials, due to the foot print available by deflation. Also, the truck now rides smoother, and doesn't jar as much, down side, it wanders more on the bias ply.
Also, many 50's era cars were designed for bias or cross ply tyres, people now fit radials, and they handle differently, due to the characteristics of a radial vs bias ply.

You are right though, you can sand the flat spot in to any tyre, and it will look right, so, no, you don't need to buy another set, they are just an option to consider.
Shane

Respond to this message   

(Login miranf)
Missing-Lynx members

Me Too

July 20 2012, 2:44 AM 

Like Shane I also ran bias ply tires on my old Toyota. At twelve pounds pressure I could drive over deep soft sand and not only not get stuck but also hardly even left tracks. I will agree that most LRDG photos show hard, fully inflated tires. I'm sure adjusting the tire pressure throughout the day accounts for that. So let's just be happy with another option for the Tamiya kit

Respond to this message   

(Login danrosecrans)
Missing-Lynx members

OK........n/t

July 20 2012, 3:00 AM 

n/t

Respond to this message   

(Login richardmoye)
Missing-Lynx members

Hey Dan..........

July 20 2012, 5:09 PM 

Lets have lunch next week and discuss tires. Mine are round,rubber,black in color and I have 4 of them.Plus a spare...I guess. i've never looked at it. How many you got? Dick Moye

Respond to this message   

(Login ShaneGowan)
Missing-Lynx members

I support that....

July 20 2012, 3:00 AM 

I agree, another option is great, lets hope they do this for more older kits too huh?
Shane

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - For all you LRDG Chevy fans......
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse