M1 Abrams - lower hull sides questionAugust 5 2017 at 5:19 PM
|John Tapsell (Login John_Tapsell)|
from IP address 126.96.36.199
I'm continuing to collate the reference material I need for my M1 Abrams project. I have a specific display configuration in mind for the finished modal that will show part of the lower hull sides (behind the side skirts).
I can find photos of the skirt support brackets but whilst finding those, I realised that the hull sides are not a uniform thickness. Some photos show that parts of the hull have additional plates added to increase the thickness (or are machined that way) but I can't always tell if it's an M1 or a later variant that is in the photos. In 1/35 scale we're probably talking about an extra 40-60 thou thickness in some places on the hull (starting above the torsion bar housing plates).
Is this a feature that carried through from the original M1s or is it a later feature added to the A1 and A2 etc?
Thanks for any information you might be able to offer.
- Every variant. - Pawel "Vodnik" Krupowicz on Aug 6, 2017, 10:05 AM
- Not the skirts - I mean the hull itself - John Tapsell on Aug 6, 2017, 11:08 AM
- NT - Anonymous on Aug 6, 2017, 8:52 PM
- Hull side - not the torsion bar mounts - John Tapsell on Aug 7, 2017, 7:37 AM
- Oups - Pawel "Vodnik" Krupowicz on Aug 7, 2017, 6:50 AM
- Thanks - John Tapsell on Aug 7, 2017, 7:44 AM
- Appears to be present from the outset - Sean McAndrews on Aug 7, 2017, 9:13 AM
- NT - Anonymous on Aug 7, 2017, 10:33 PM
- NT - Anonymous on Aug 10, 2017, 10:13 AM