Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

I quote from "Army-Technology.com"...

August 6 2017 at 8:58 AM
Geoff Steer  (Login GeoffSteer)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 70.53.128.62

Response to Where did you get that nugget?

"The development of Arjun MBT began in March 1974. The tank heavily depends on foreign technology and equipment. Krauss Maffei, developer of the German Leopard 2 tank, provided the design assistance. Hence, the Arjun closely resembles Leopard 2A4 tank.
Up to 25%-30% of the tank components including engine, transmission, gun barrel, tracks and fire control systemare imported"

Okay, I'd agree that "provided the design assistance" may not actually mean that Krauss Maffei designed the Arjun. However, considering it appears almost identical to the Leopard II, I always thought that Krauss Maffei may have designed the Arjun to be a Leopard II buildable by Indian industry. I could be wrong about that of course, I would still stand by my belief that the Arjun is a DIY Leopard II. Whatever way you look at it, the resemblance is so close you almost have to ask: "why did Indian not just go ahead and buy some Leopard IIs rather than try to make them locally"?
Sincerely-
Geoff Steer

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. I'm no expert but possibly one reason... - Robert Lockie on Aug 6, 2017, 12:35 PM
  3. Curiouser and curiouser - JMehner on Aug 7, 2017, 10:00 AM
    1. I quote from four other sources - Geoff Steer on Aug 7, 2017, 5:19 PM
      1. Oooh, I love that one... - JMehner on Aug 8, 2017, 12:31 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse