Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

Curiouser and curiouser

August 7 2017 at 10:00 AM
JMehner  (Login Jens_O_Mehner)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 178.11.196.5

Response to I quote from "Army-Technology.com"...

I wonder where army-technology.com came up with that? The original idea behind the Arjun was that it should be at least 50% an indigenous tank, with only some key components imported, like the engine, transmission, tracks and the electronics, the gun is made in India (the barrel not). How well that worked out, can be seen with 124 Mk I and 118 MK II originally to be purchased, less in service, and units and the generals clamouring for more T-90s instead. Those they will get, 347 have been bought from Russia and a further 1000 will be license-built.

Krauss-Maffei designed nothing in regards to the Arjun and if they had, it would have cost India a pretty penny, precisely what they wanted to avoid. It would have been a new design from the ground up in order for Indian industry to be able to build it (would be a different story today), seeing as their car industry built adapted 1950s motorcycles, cars and trucks (some of them are still being built today).

It certainly was inspired to a certain extent by the Leopard 2 (as was the Type 90), it is also somewhat narrower and lower than the Leopard 2. The design is by India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), with their Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE) doing the main work. It is joked that the Arjun is the best-tested tank in the world and rumour has it that it is usually called "the white elephant". The indigineous share in the end was 31% and the Arjun MkI are not operational anymore due to lack of spares.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. I quote from four other sources - Geoff Steer on Aug 7, 2017, 5:19 PM
    1. Oooh, I love that one... - JMehner on Aug 8, 2017, 12:31 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse