Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

confused by Dragon ...not about the real steel

August 24 2017 at 7:24 AM
Frank Lobitz  (Login fraleoc)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 92.204.76.111

Response to Dragon M48... / Magach - engine reardoor this time

The basic facts are clear. Gary's pics matching my overview.

I started wondering when I learned that Dragon's A3 (#3546) has no option for the early M1 Cupola - w/o bulged hatch cover and G305 Riser. Ok, it's Dragon. The none-bulged hatch cover needed for the early cupola is included in the Magach 1/2 kit only so far - an A2/A2C likely to come in future. However.

Back to A3 Mod B.
According to Hunnicut, page 230
"The vision block ring [G305] and other late modifications were eventually retrofitted to the earlier M48A3s. After that program was complete, the Mod B designation was dropped."
A3 conversion started in 1962, A3 Mod.B 1967.

Does '...other late modifications...' means ALL of them? headlights, fenders,... and engine rear door with rear light housing?
Or just selected ones? making Dragon A3 an early A3 retroffited with parts of Mod B programm, or is it fantasy?
USMC M48s differs again.
That was my starting point.
The question what happend to M48 given away before converted in US when upgraded by the new user-Nation, differs from Nation to Nation, and specially with IDF.
Indeed I wondered if IDF changed the rear door when started dieselasation of Magach 2, as Mark pointed out.

So, thanks for all the responses and pics so far! I'll carry on sampling...
Frank
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: confused by Dragon ...not about the real steel - Gary Owsley on Aug 26, 2017, 7:00 PM
    1. so, in a nutshell... - Frank Lobitz on Aug 27, 2017, 11:24 AM
      1. Yes. n/t - Gary Owsley on Aug 29, 2017, 5:55 AM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse