Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Egyptian T62 with rocket launchers and ATGW

February 19 2003 at 7:07 AM
  (no login)
from IP address 194.129.182.225

Hi

Can anyone point me to web pictures of the two Egyptian T62 varients - one with rockets strapped to the sides of the turret, the other with 2 Sagger missles? Any books etc detailing them would be much appreciated too please

Best regards

Steven

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

I have one with rockets!

February 19 2003, 7:32 AM 

I have only one picture from PANZER magazine (is the cover).

The look is great. But, I must found the magazine, and after scan it....usually I have very few time, but if you really need, I will try do it.

Do you want make it??

Regards

MIG

Respond to this message   

(Login twells)
Missing-Lynx members

I'm hooked

February 19 2003, 6:59 PM 

OK I'm interested... any closeup shots of the rocket launchers? Any info on the lauchers at all? Now this would be a cool project! They look like simple launchers... but you never know. I guess if there isn't much reference out there for them then nobody could argue the point:)

Respond to this message   

(Login acemodel)
Missing-Lynx members

T-62 with r/launchers

February 19 2003, 9:36 AM 

Here is a photo from a parade in Egypt:

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Thank you

February 19 2003, 9:40 AM 

Thank you gentlemen for your assistance. The photo is great! Any more info from any one else please?

Respond to this message   
Bermudez Jr., Joseph
(Login jbermudez)
Missing-Lynx members

More Egyptian T-62 Photos

February 19 2003, 11:50 PM 

Steve,

Here are several more photos which might be of interest. All were taken during the 1970s.

Regards,
Joe B.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Thank you

February 20 2003, 3:54 AM 

Thank you for some wonderful shots. Now this looks like the ATGW version - would they be Sagger? or Snapper? the missles. The rocket launcher version which I think Mig is refering to - does anyone have info on the size of the rockets?

Best regards

Steven

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Not Sagger n/t

February 20 2003, 5:23 AM 

Respond to this message   
Olaf Kievit
(no login)

They're smoke rockets... (n/t)

February 20 2003, 9:06 AM 

oNOSPAMkievit@aya.yale.edu

Respond to this message   

(no login)

U sure

February 20 2003, 9:13 AM 

Thanks guys - I guessed there not Sagger - too small! Are u sure the rocket launchers are smoke launchers - seem quite large? Any guess on the ATGW? Maybe Swingfire? Swatter?

Cheers

Respond to this message   
Robert Lockie
(no login)

Smoke rockets for me

February 20 2003, 1:03 PM 

The Egyptians do have a history of adding smoke rockets to T-62, so they would make sense - doubtless for ATGW suppression or local smokesreening.

ATGW makes less sense, given the conflict between the role of tanks and ATGW launchers and the fact that there are several of them on the tank. Would the crew have time to be messing about with ATGW in battle? And they aren't exactly well protected...

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Smoke rocket are probably right

February 21 2003, 2:03 AM 

I think you’re right regarding the smoke rocket. I remember an old article in Mil Mod by Vasco Barbic explaining different T-62 versions. He presents a SAKR modified T-62 with two types of smoke rocket. And there is an article in Military in Scale where he builds one of them. Really cool. Barbic did a lot of very good work on Egypt armour during the eighties and early nineties. Hope someone will release his “Complete work” someday.

/Peter Holst

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Yes u guys are right

February 21 2003, 3:54 AM 

Yes I think you are all right - smoke launchers to suppress incoming ATGW is probably the most logical explanation. AS u say, there is no way a tank crew will have time to fire ATGW especially in a cramped and noisy T62!! Also if the concept of mounting ATGW did actually have merit I guess the modern tanks would have such an arangement rather like the AMX-13 with SS11.

Cheers

Thank you all for the help!

Steven

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Egyptian T62 with rocket launchers and ATGW
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse