Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hobby Boss announce a M1070 and LOTS More

December 7 2010 at 12:52 PM
Jim Rae  (Login jimbrae)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 89.130.250.239

[linked image]

Full story here:

http://armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=8026

Jim Rae

Managing Editor, Newsdesk

Armorama / KitMaker Network

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pawel ''Vodnik'' Krupowicz
(Login Vodnik)
Missing-Lynx members

Yeah, figures...

December 7 2010, 2:20 PM 

Shortly after I finally, after many years of waiting, purchased the Accurate Armour one........

Respond to this message   
kylie newton
(Login newtonk)
Missing-Lynx members

Then I guess I need to thank you, Pawel,

December 7 2010, 5:03 PM 

because that is one release to get excited about! Now, to start (and finish) that D9 I have on the shelf!

And a Boxer, too! Where does it stop! Thank you, I think, Hobby Boss.

Kylie

Respond to this message   
Terry Ashley
(Login terry_ashley)
Missing-Lynx members

Indeed, Thanks Pawel N/T

December 7 2010, 10:53 PM 

Respond to this message   
Mike Witous
(Login witous)
Missing-Lynx members

Pawel, could you please start your scratch build of a 4X4 COUGAR MRAP or the 6X6 Cougar

December 8 2010, 2:29 AM 

MRAP. I thought that by now someone would offer us a kit of these
vehicles.

Hobby Boss and Trumpeter, please watch for Pawel's on line scratch build. Please do not release until he is 75% done.

(If they do come out with the 4X4, I will gladly share with you about 100 pictures of US Navy and Marine E.O.D. vehicles from Iraq from 2007-2009)

Out here

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit

Respond to this message   
michael stubley
(Login mjstubley)
Missing-Lynx members

Re:

December 8 2010, 6:24 AM 

Pawel

Sasme thing happened when I bought the Accurate Armour SLT Elefant

So, If you could start building the PSM Bergepanzer 2 a Bergepanzer 3 I'll be well chuffed happy.gif

Please also start scratch building a SPz Puma, a Trojan AVRE, a Titan AVLB, a Terrier and some of the British MAN Trucks

TIA

Respond to this message   
Andre Ellis
(Login 105mmgun)
Missing-Lynx members

Now those 35MM shots i took might payoff....

December 7 2010, 5:07 PM 

N/T

Respond to this message   
Javier de LUelmo - Diesel
(Login JaviDiesel)
Missing-Lynx members

Very wellcome, and...

December 8 2010, 6:51 AM 

... with some extra work they could do the british version. Please!

[linked image]

Javier de Luelmo - Diesel

http://dieselwerk.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   
kylie newton
(Login newtonk)
Missing-Lynx members

English version as seen at militaryphotos.net

December 8 2010, 4:41 PM 

page 10 in the relevant thread, UK forces in Afghanistan.

K.

Respond to this message   
Pat Stansell
(Login pstansell)
Missing-Lynx members

Anyone else troubled by this?

December 9 2010, 9:36 AM 

I brought this up in relation to the earlier Wolf postings, but is anyone in doubt that this kit is "inspired" by the Accurate Armour offering?

I know that as modelers, we welcome a lower priced option. But this is troubling on a number of levels. First is that a well-known figure in our hobby, Derek Hansen, worked long and hard on this model. It is really a work of art and, in my opinion, the kit represents the pinnacle of what can be done with a multimedia kit. Derek also sought and received the cooperation of Oshkosh Trucking Company in the construction and production of the model. It is a licensed reproduction.

Furthermore, as a U.S. taxpayer, I am troubled that a product that I/we paid for will be offered without license or consideration of the manufacturer. The same could also be said for the MOD version.

Now, I don't know for sure what has occurred behind the scenes, nor can I prove that anything unethical has taken place. But we do know what has happen in the past with some of the "newer" manufacturers.

Am I way off base here? Is anyone else bothered by this?

Pat
MMiR

Respond to this message   
A. Guarderas
(Login superdope)
Missing-Lynx members

No bueno/si bueno

December 9 2010, 11:16 AM 

Having 3 1070's at my bench right now ,I could careless. I won't buy one. I hate plastic, resin burns through my veins. Derek's kit gives me what I want with no ejector pin marks and I can sail through the build.
The kit will still be expensive, and like trumpeter when they came out with the Faun, we waited with greedy hands to be utterley smashed with crap once it arrived.
You can get excited/pissed but the fact of the matter is "Where the Hell is the M20?

SD

Respond to this message   
Jim Rae
(Login jimbrae)
Missing-Lynx members

In a word, Yes.

December 9 2010, 11:51 AM 

Troubled, perhaps not, but certainly concerned. When I got the first images of the LR Wolf from HB, I passed them onto Derek - precisely because of these concerns. Rather than tearing his hair out, he sensibly took the approach that his company could benefit from this development by the production of update sets etc. Now, I don't know about the M1070 (no, I know ZILCH about the M1070 happy.gif) but, when I get the images i'll pass those onto Derek as well so he can make the judgement call.

It's also worth bearing in mind that mot only did Accurate Armour mutually cooperate with Oshkosh over their M1070, they did precisely the same with Land Rover.

Jim Rae

Respond to this message   
Graeme
(Login gcdavidson)
MODERATORS ONLY - Modern (II)

Subject matter selection

December 9 2010, 6:01 PM 

I think that its basic market research: If a kit is viable enough to have been produced in resin, then it stands to reason to be a good subject to market in styrene.

GD

Respond to this message   
Ley Reynolds
(Login leyreynolds)
Missing-Lynx members

Do you automatically assume that all non-US kit

December 10 2010, 6:08 AM 

manufacturers are copying a US product or is it only the Chinese?

A man can't have too much info' on the Spanish Civil War

Respond to this message   
Andrew Ting
(Login Blue1fox)
Missing-Lynx members

Suspicions

December 10 2010, 6:56 AM 

While I applaud Hobby Boss for being innovative and coming up with new modern subjects (especially those in use by the PLA-Army), I agree with Pat - I can't help but wonder if certain resin kits were purchased, dissected and reverse engineered (so to speak) to produce a plastic kit. While a modern plastic Land Rover kit is well overdue and the M1070 is a popular choice for any kit maker, what really makes me suspicious was the announcement of the Boxer MAPV. In my opinion it wouldn't be anywhere near the top of most people's wish list. I believe MRAPs like the Cougar and Maxxpro would be more popular and thus sell better. However, there is a resin kit of the Boxer available (Vajra Miniatures) whereas there are no known kits of the Maxxpro, and the 6x6 Cougar proves to be elusive to obtain (from Cromwell). Plus Hobby Boss/Trumpeter have been shown to copy/use existing resin kits or scratch build kits in their new releases - search the discussion boards on discussions on Hobby Boss Strv 122 and Trumpeter E-100. Hence my suspicions extend to the Land Rovers and the M1070 too.

My 2 cents
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Jim Rae
(Login jimbrae)
Missing-Lynx members

Opinions on this Image?

December 10 2010, 7:33 AM 

I was sent this image a while back by Trumpeter, and, as I know nothing whatsoever about the subject and less about what's available in AM etc.

Just curious! happy.gif

[linked image]

Jim Rae

Respond to this message   
Olaf Kievit
(Login okievit)
Missing-Lynx members

If that's the master for...

December 10 2010, 9:35 AM 

... their BMP-2D I'll be a very happy puppy!!

Some of the plastic looks like it might be DML gray though, so perhaps it's still based on that kit? Still, much better detailed.

Olaf

Respond to this message   
Jacques Duquette
(Login Jacques1001)
Missing-Lynx members

carefull

December 10 2010, 10:21 AM 

There are a number of "issues" that need to be addressed:

1. All of the Asian companies use multiple design/prototype teams. Some have been sub-contracted. So the "quick copy" of someones work might actually have NOT been the manufacturer's fault...they would be quilty of not checking up, and of using questionable sub-contractors. My understanding is that there had been a crack down on this sort of thing to keep the manufacturer's reputation from suffering, and the sub-contractor's did not do high enough quality work (a problem that is still being struggled with...)

2. It is entirely possible that, with the M1070, Trumpeter has gotten/bought 3D sculpts of it. We live in the 21st Century now, and pantographing from a physical item is no longer the only way to obtain what is needed. http://www.vizitinc.com/gallery/military/het.cfm http://polycarver.com/2010/05/22/m1070-sculpt-side/

3. No matter how good a kit may be in resin, it will only get made into a plastic kit if it will make money. Conversely, if it is good enough to make it into resin, and is popular, then there is a good chance it will be made into plastic.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse