Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What's a Good Match for West Germany Paint Used in their T-72 in the Soviet Era ?

May 22 2012 at 10:10 AM
André Lutti  (Login Andre_Lutti)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 189.9.20.140

Hi, all.

Do the west germans had their own painting scheme for the T-72 or the color was the same one used by the soviets at the same period ? I already have a good match for the soviet color. I would need references only if the german color was different.

Any input will be welcome.

Best regards.

André Lutti.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rob Gronovius
(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

Interesting question

May 22 2012, 10:41 AM 

I'm not sure if the West Germans (FRG) repainted the T-72s after they absorbed the former East German (DDR) army tanks. I do know they wanted to give some to the US for OPFOR use, all we had to do was pay to move them to California. It would be interesting to see former DDR tanks painted in Bundeswher NATO 3-color camouflage. Revell released some of the modern Soviet armor kits in Bundeswehr markings.

RobG

Respond to this message   
Jens O. Mehner
(Login Jens_O_Mehner)
Missing-Lynx members

?

May 22 2012, 11:25 AM 

I suppose you are talking about East German T-72s as West Germany had this tracked thingy called the Leopard 1 and 2.

East German T-72s were painted in chlorbunagrün SM which was not standardised in the RAL system and also tended to weather pretty quickly, but apparently RAL 6003 is a pretty close match. Be aware that it is a semi-gloss paint, Revell 361 and Modelmaster medium green 1713E have both been cited as good matches by former crewmen and modelers.

None of the T-72s entered the inventory of the Bundeswehr and most of them were scrapped. If it is important, only a very few of the T-72s were Soviet-built, most of them came from Czechoslovakia.

Cheers,

Jens

Information not shared is information lost.

1/87er, die feinmotorisch flinke Elite des Modellbaus.

http://www.scalemodelteam.de

Respond to this message   
André Lutti
(Login Andre_Lutti)
Missing-Lynx members

Sorry ! I'm Talking About East German During the Cold War.

May 22 2012, 12:17 PM 

Sorry. My bad.

I thank you both for your input, but could anyone give a match in terms of Tamiya colors ? I have a hard time buying these more sofisticated colors as american stores don't sell paints to others countries (I'm im Brazil).

Any other inputs will be most welcome.

Cheers.

André Lutti.

Respond to this message   
Kjeld Pedersen
(Login DANILOG)
Missing-Lynx members

NVA green

May 22 2012, 5:04 PM 

Hey

Some EX East German soldiers told me, the best
hobby paint for NVA equipment is the Vallejo
Model Air, Verde Panzer / Tank green No. 71011.

Best regards
Kjeld Pedersen

Respond to this message   
Jason Bobrowich
(Login jasonbobro)
Missing-Lynx members

Colours

May 22 2012, 9:54 PM 

East Germany used both the single dark green colour and a three colour scheme consisting of a lighter green, medium grey, and black as well.

http://www.ipmslondon.ca/old%20site/ipmslondon.tripod.com/armourreferencearticles/id11.html

Respond to this message   
Jens O. Mehner
(Login Jens_O_Mehner)
Missing-Lynx members

Verzerrungsanstrich

May 23 2012, 2:41 AM 

Yes,

the three-colour scheme was used on a relative limited amount of equipment as well and consisted of olivgrün 2425, dämmergrau 2403 (1 part Humbrol 32 and 5 parts 156) and schwarzgrau 2402 (Humbrol 182).

AFAIK there are no Tamiya matches for the green base colour and none of the NVA modelers I know use Vallejo, if it matches the Revell or Model Master paints referenced above, it would certainly be an alternative. Although somewhat dated, the colour conversion chart of IPMS Stockholm still is a great quick guide: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_humbrol.htm or try "The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart" at http://www.paint4models.com/ .

HTH,

Jens

Information not shared is information lost.

1/87er, die feinmotorisch flinke Elite des Modellbaus.

http://www.scalemodelteam.de

Respond to this message   
Michael Haugaard
(Login Michael_Haugaard)
Missing-Lynx members

Tone of the Olivgrün......

May 23 2012, 3:27 AM 

Hi guys,

very intereseting thread indeed...
Ever since buying the Concord T-72 book with pictures of an NVA T-72 (model mark eludes me at this point), I've been wanting to do this one - with the Hornet NVA figure standing in front of it # ; - ))

It seems to me, that the single-colour scheme, has a lighter somewhat grey-green hue to it ???
Definately not the usual russian standard green.

I will look into the different options offered - thanks for the advice.

Have a great summer y'all..

best regards,

Mike H
Denmark

Respond to this message   
Marc Brandes
(Login marc_brandes)
Missing-Lynx members

Tamiya Field grey? (ed.)

May 23 2012, 10:05 AM 

Have you thought about Tamiya Field grey XF-65?

This link has some pics of the former NVA:
http://www.wildlifeuk.net/the-berlin-wall-t-2947.html

(Scroll down towards end.)

best regards,

Marc Brandes

Replace dod in email address

This message has been edited by marc_brandes from IP address 195.240.106.24 on May 23, 2012 1:44 PM

Respond to this message   
André Lutti
(Login Andre_Lutti)
Missing-Lynx members

Thank You Very Much for Your Input ! (n/t)

May 24 2012, 11:57 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse